5.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly Enjoyable., 31 Jan 2012
C. Doolan (Scotland) - See all my reviews
I was amazed to find this book is only available on Kindle at the moment. It seems the author is having difficulty in finding an American publisher. I'm not surprised given that I stumbled on these wonderful stories purely by accident.Maybe if they had publisised the books a bit better I would be able to hold this story in my hands instead of reading it on my PC. I am an old fashioned gal and like my books to come in paper and ink. No offence Kindle....
Anyway the story did not disappoint and I joined Akitada and Tora on an another adventure......More please....and could I please have this as a REAL book. To my mind this author is way too much underrated. She's GREAT!

5.0 out of 5 stars collection, 9 Feb 2014
This review is from: Death on an Autumn River: An Akitada novel: 9 (Akitada mysteries) (Paperback)
Love all the ones I have and gradually trying to collect all the rest .I loveSugawara.poor Seimei what a loss to his lord

5.0 out of 5 stars Akitada at his best, 7 Feb 2014
Away from his comfort zone and on a secret mission Akitada is beset with problems on all sides. Constantly in danger from what seem to be friends and those that are obviously foes, he is severely tested. Even his newly appointed subordinate deserts him for the promise of his unrequited lust being fulfilled! But despite the plethora of challenges, Akitada puts the pieces of this beautifully written jigsaw together and learns an important lesson: do not judge a book by its cover. However, that maxim does not apply to I.J. Parker's lovely cover designs, which are as pleasing to look at as the text contained within.

5.0 out of 5 stars A GOOD READ., 11 Jan 2014
I HAVE WAITED A LONG TIME FOR IJ PARKE TO BE BACK IN PRINT,WORTH THE WAIT.GOOD STORY,WELL WORTH A READ,MORE SHOULD BE PUBLISHED,,THATS PUBLISHERS FOR YOU,DONT KNOW A GOOD WRITER WHEN THEY HAVE ONE. WILL BE READING THE NEXED TWO BOOKS SOON.

5.0 out of 5 stars Something different - and a great read, 9 Dec 2013
A detective story set in pre-Shogun Japan. A young prostitute has been found in the river - a victim of suicide or was she murdered? The distinction turns out to be moot, since the lives of the prostitutes are so harrowing, and they are so young, that many kill themselves. The detective is an old hand, a representative of the Imperial Court, with all the gravitas and authority that goes with that position. His assistant is a hothead and soon gets himself into trouble. The roll of possible evil-doers represent a fair cross section of society, a governor, an academic, a merchant, a prefect. There is murder and peril aplenty, oh and some very nasty pirates.

This is not a period/location that I'm familiar with, but I get the feeling that the author really knows her stuff. Her depictions of the scenes, the culture and the mores of the period are told with the consummate ease that comes with deep understanding and familiarity.

Recommended.

Death on an Autumn River: An Akitada novel: 9 (Akitada mysteries)
8.53