5.0 out of 5 stars the best thing i've read in ages!
Published 19 months ago by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Great book but
Received the book and got reading straight away. Really well laid out and very informative, unfortunately it is colour referenced and then printed in black and white. This would have been five stars if it wasn't for the oversight in printing.
Published 8 months ago by Lee Thomas

5.0 out of 5 stars the best thing i've read in ages!, 28 July 2013
i am always on the lookout for something in the advanced rock/blues genre. when i saw this book, my first thought was that the title was very close to the blues guitar caged and 100 licks by the same author, and i was in two minds as to whether to buy it because i thought the material would be very similar. For the sake of a fiver, i decided to give it a go. I was very impressed with the exercises and the whole system in general, to the point that i spent the whole night reading it and could not put it down until i had done. Needless to say it is not the same as the blues guitar book.

I am very much looking forward to spending the next few months working on the exercises, some of the systems used here are gold dust. There are ideas for using scales that I had not considered, so it was worth much more to me than i payed just to learn those concepts. There are exercises using licks that the book provides that are really stretching and some very good ideas that i will use in my own work. Everything is presented very clearly and time is taken to explain the concepts in fine detail with audio examples to make sure that you have fully grasped the points made.

This book is not aimed at the total beginner, you will need to have a basic grasp of chords and some understanding of what scales are. There is another book by the same author 15 essential beginner lessons, which is a good place to start. But if you have been playing a few months or many years you will find this invaluable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book - plenty to learn., 5 Aug. 2013
Great book. This isnt a quick fix or something you might flick through in an evening, theres plenty to keep you occupied and to practice. The CAGED system makes sense and is easy to follow. The book itself is well laid out with examples and TABS, and the audio files (available from the website) are clearly recorded.
I would recommend this book to anyone who wants to improve their rock soloing, if you follow the examples and exercises you will see an improvement in your playing in a few weeks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Clearly laid out and a valuable reference!!, 1 Aug. 2013
It's a great book on the CAGED system and a much easier to understand reference book... Laden with valuable info in a very logically laid out format ... I would have to mention the author is always ready to go an extra mile for his readers which , in my case, was by providing me a PDF format of the book and also giving me a free complimentary PDF copy of another great book on Drop2 voicing which I bought separately by individual chapters earlier... Only if I had known it was coming, it would have spent the money for his other great titles :) ...His books threw me on a shopping spree on kindle and got me to buy almost all his titles once I got the taste of his readily understandable and extremely helpful instructional method as ,for me, that's too many lessons for a fraction of the price of what one has to pay to a teacher ( without discrediting the irreplaceable value of consulting with a good teacher every now and then) to learn all these over a course of atleast 2-3 lessons .Keep up the great work and for all the readers who are still considering the purchase , I have no qualms in saying that you won't regret the purchase ... Join the club :)! (Just to throw some caution in the air, I am , by no means ,related to or being paid by the author for the review! It's just the great value of the work in all respect, got me to come up with the review... )Hope it helps others.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great book!, 1 Aug. 2013
I now have a small collection of Joseph Alexander's guitar books which I have found to be well written, concise and accurate.
Rock Guitar Un-CAGED is no exception, complementing the earlier Blues volume with a good balance of instruction and, most importantly, practical examples.
The audio files and backing tracks with each book are a great bonus and I really value the PDF versions as I am able to print topics and "mix and match" them to build a personalised practice routine.
Not for beginners, but a fabulous resource for advancing guitar players.

4.0 out of 5 stars very good, but some hints on how/when to use the modes would help, 26 May 2014
Brilliant concept
Lot of memorisation needed however :(
The 5 pentatonic positions came relatively easily and was a major success

Then having to learn another set of 5 positions and scales for each of the other 3 modes presented was hard, and to be honest switched me off - why?
Well apart from saying "here a few songs that use this mode" I still haven't worked out when one would choose , or how to work out which mode a chain song is "in". Maybe I'm wrong, but I sort of missed any guidance in the book of why / when I would use the mixolydian and ect modes.

Don't get me wrong, this book was great value and the theory / system is good.
Just that gap being filled might help

I bought this at the same time as Robert Pillitiere's book. The two in combination are excellent. Pillitiere's gives a MUCH MUCH simpler way of learning EVERY mode with just 3 finger shapes and a simple pattern that is infinitely easier to remember than all of the different fingering scales in the CAGED system - and I mean infinitely easier. I can now play any of the 7 modes, from any note from any string - all from one evening's reading.

So, CAGED move me onto being a much more accomplished guitarist in the first couple of chapters, then I added Pillitiere's system and within 3 evenings in total,mi understand about all of the modes, and I can play them all with the minimum of memorisation.

The licks are interesting however and useful as a basis of the whole book, and that's why overall I give the book 4 - so you can see and hear examples on how to use the modes / scales
I am still having trouble accessing them via the ipad - might be a problem at my end however

5.0 out of 5 stars Caged made easy, 19 Nov. 2013
This book is not a quick fix but a very thorough and excellent way to learn about the caged system. I've bought a few books in the past but where this book wins out is explaining how to play different key centres using caged shapes in the SAME area of the neck, rather than jumping about all over the place using old box position patterns. There is a mountain of material to learn here but don't be overwhelmed, stick with it and you will learn so much to help you really understand the neck and become the guitarist you want to be.
It is very clearly written, in depth, but easy to follow and the downloadable example licks and backing tracks are excellent. Well worth buying if you really want to understand what you are doing and build your rock vocabulary.

4.0 out of 5 stars Helped make sense of CAGED system, 8 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Rock Guitar Un-CAGED - The CAGED System and 100 Licks for Rock Guitar: With Over 100 Minutes of Audio Examples and Exercses: Volume 2 (The CAGED System for Guitar) (Paperback)
I've been playing maybe three or four years, and certainly don't have an exhaustive knowledge of the instruction books available. However, I had tried for a while to make sense of the CAGED system. Online lessons glossed over it too quickly for me to grasp what it all meant. I think I needed something more structured, and in writing, for the system to sink in. The book has helped the pieces fall into place. As the cover says, it gives a good overview of CAGED and progressive examples of how to use it with guitar licks. The paper lessons were backed by audio examples, which I used for guidance and to check I was on the right track. I also keep the book nearby as a ready-reckoner of scales and licks. I found I still needed patience and commitment to come to grips with CAGED, but I think I am getting there.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely explanation of the CAGED system and more, 15 Feb. 2014
This book is a great way to not only learn the CAGED system, but to get some new inspiration for your rock licks.

Once again, Mr. Alexander has written a book that's easy to follow, filled with nice licks and accompanied by a lovely bunch of downloadable audio examples. This makes it easy to incorporate both the CAGED system and the ideas in the rock licks into one's own playing. I particularly like that the book mentions real well-known songs where the modes taught can be heard.

This book is easy to recommend both as a way to learn the CAGED system, but also as inspiration for your rock licks vocabulary.

5.0 out of 5 stars THIS SERIES OF BOOKS BY JOSEPH ALEXANDER ARE GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!, 15 April 2014
THIS SERIES OF BOOKS BY JOSEPH ALEXANDER ARE GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!

HI THERE,,,
I reckon myself an intermediate/begginer and at first I thought I couldn't but after trying a few licks, as I do almost have a complete knowldge of minor,major pentatonic box scale..i realized that I could....now I have a way to connect them a logical way..you know step by step...so it 's gonna take some time but now I feeling more confident about that...so ...thanks to joseph I have another way to make much headway in guitar playing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another difficult subject, explained in such an easy to follow manner., 4 Jun. 2014
Reading this book, I can see why Joseph is such a busy man teaching guitar (very popular guy), however, that's how he writes his books, using tried and tested methods he has used with his pupils. Joseph has a website too, lots of info on there, definitely worth a visit, all in all these books are money well spent, fantastic! He just loves to teach, he invites you to ask questions, or if you have genuine difficulty with the content in his books (a rarity, I should imagine) and need a reply. You know that you need this, read the reviews.