5.0 out of 5 stars A great, very basic introduction
Published 17 months ago by MR MARTIN J MCGIRK

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor
This in my opinion is a poor book, ill give the author 10 out of 10 for creating it as its an area that needs reference . However that's where the good review stops.

Published 11 months ago by Big Red

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor, 28 Jan 2014

The content is poor and seems to be hurriedly put together, a lot of time is wasted on the history of RC modelling which takes up far more pages that it needs to ( its not the reason you would by the book ) and the actual information supplied on the quadcopters seems to be cut and pasted from websites and then reformatted to look like original work.

Disappointing and could have been so much better

5.0 out of 5 stars A great, very basic introduction, 3 July 2013
I'm a total newbie to the drone world and I thought I'd take a punt on this book to give me a bit of a start in the right direction. The book is short (I read it in an hour or two), assumes you know absolutely nothing about quadcopters and covers the very basics such as what quadcopters are, what you might want to do with them, how they work, the different kinds you can buy and how to get started flying them. It offers specific suggestions as to what to buy, how to go about learning and was very simple without being patronising.

My interest lies in eventually writing software to fly these things autonomously and previous to reading this book, as is typical for me, I had been researching building quadcopters for myself as a way to get started. Having read this book and realised the folly of jumping in at the deep end from the get-go I think I'll be purchasing a few ready-to-fly models to get myself used to flying these things first.

I found this to be a great introduction to the field and would highly recommend it for anyone with an interest in quadcopters. Five stars.

1.0 out of 5 stars Really poor impulse buy, 4 Feb 2014
This review is from: Getting Started with Hobby Quadcopters and Drones: Learn about, buy and fly these amazing aerial vehicles (Paperback)
I took a look at this and thought why not - I'm building a quad-copter so this might have some useful information in there. Well there are a couple of bits of useful information but to be honest nothing that I'd not already picked up from casual browsing of the web. It's very amatuer in look, and format and despite the punchy headings the actual content is somehwat lacking. I hate to be harsh but was really disappointed and felt like I'd just bought a very ordinary self-publish which has very few pages and is bulked out by lists of tools, glossaries, bits of kit, stockists and a mish-mash of images. I felt like I'd read it in 5 minutes... and that five minutes confrimed that the internet saves paper and ink.. and is in colour!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, 15 July 2013
J. ARCHIBALD (Newcastle) - See all my reviews
Even though I am an experienced r/c pilot of over 30 years I enjoyed reading this book and as always learned from it. If you are just starting out with quads then this is a must read.

3.0 out of 5 stars Some useful info for an absolute beginner. Not so much for anyone with even the most basic understandings of RC flight., 3 Mar 2014
Its not bad in itself, some useful info, a lot more useless info though.
There really isn't anything in it that a cursory search on some good forums will reveal, although, at least you have some of this information to hand.
I did however return the item for a refund due to amazons draconian DRM.
I don't own a kindle, there is no kindle app for my ancient phone and I shouldn't have to carry my laptop to access the books I have bought.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good little book for those starting out, 19 July 2013
Stewart Dunn - See all my reviews
I got this on a whim, for the price you cant complain.You can skim through it in about 30 mins, if you know a bit already.Nothing to lose really!

4.0 out of 5 stars Getting Started with Hobby Quadcopters, 24 April 2014
Good book seems to answer most questions but lacks some of the more complex information for IOC and GPS RTH also gyros.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent beginner guide, 6 Sep 2014
Also has a mass of information on types and manufactures one may not have considered. Additionally there is a Glossary, list of useful web sites, guide to some shops, and an easily read prose that covers all the topics a beginner will be thinking about for a year after he buys the first drone. Finally, well worth the money and I am sure the book will have eased me into the exciting hobby I'm anticipating.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 5 July 2014
Very use full info

4.0 out of 5 stars Good basic introduction., 18 April 2014
Good, simple introduction to anyone wanting to start in the hobby of multi rotor, radio controlled aircraft. Takes you from the simple,£30 models up to thee expensive, professional 6 or 8 rotor aerial camera drones with stabilisation and GPS technology.

The book is thoroughly up to date, with all the latest devices listed and is recommended.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›