5.0 out of 5 stars New Book, New Author a great must read.
Owing to the superb marketing from the Author, Stephen McKay on his Facebook page and the excellent teasers he would post.
I awaited the launch of Wolfs Head with great impatience, finally it arrived and I was not disappointed, what a fantastic story, completely captivating me from the start, the reader quickly gets a feel for the characters and the tail takes you...
Published 16 months ago by Mr. Ray. Brown

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing in the extreme.
I was very disappointed by this book. Having read other critiques I was expecting a much better read. In my opinion, for what it is worth, the story line is superficial, the grammar and expression is inferior, and I do not see the need for a" sprinkling"of four letter word expletives.
Published 12 months ago by Stan Ollerton

‹ Previous | 118 19 2025 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Wolf's head, 26 Oct 2013
This was one of the best books I've read in a long time very good writer thanks for writing it

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 26 Oct 2013
Loved this book from first page to the last. Never really wanted to finish the book. Loved all the characters and the detailed descriptions of the forest & villages nearby. The characters were so real & if I closed my eyes I felt like I could be there with them taking on the Sheriff and robbing the rich clergy & nobles.Steven McKay, thank you. You have a rare talent sir.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 26 Oct 2013
I was rather sceptical about a rewrite of this excellent tale. It is rather arrogant to think one can improve on one of our most popular stories which has been made into so many films. However, I was very quickly immersed in the tale and think this is an excellent novel. I too have been a fan of Bernard Cornwall since he wrote his first sea story.. Well, Bernard, watch out, there is a young turk on your tail!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wolf's head, 26 Oct 2013
I REALLY ENJOYED THIS BOOK - it was a real page turner and I finished it in a day, characters were good and kept you gripped throughout.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great retelling of an already established classic., 26 Oct 2013
It's never easy trying to retell something that's been established for so many years with little variation but Mckay's unique spin on the tale of Robin Hood really manages to pull the reader in, breathing some fresh life into it. I thoroughly enjoyed the novel and would recommend it to any reader!

4.0 out of 5 stars good story , easy to read and enjoyable, 22 Oct 2013
A good twist on the Robin Hood story , my only criticism might be sometimes the writing was a bit simplistic , but I enjoyed the book and will read the rest of the series as they come out

5.0 out of 5 stars good story, 22 Oct 2013
i really enjoyed this story. a good realistic version of the legend. looking forward to the next one in the series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wolfs Head(The Forest Lord), 22 Oct 2013
Thoroughly enjoyed the read. Looking forward to the next! Great characters and a fast moving gripping plot. My kind of book!

3.0 out of 5 stars A few niggles, but a good debut, 20 Oct 2013
Mr. D. Hamilton "Duncan Hamilton" (Hove, East Sussex) - See all my reviews
A nice twist to the old classic. Well written, with some lovely twists, but could use some improvement for the sequel.

Firstly is character development and motivation is a bit patchy - got plenty of time with Will Scarlett and Friar Tuck, but not really much with Robin himself. This did detract somewhat, as I found myself rooting for everyone except Hood.

Secondly is a real pet hate of mine in the current crop of Boy's Adventure Books we're seeing a lot of - the conversion from lowly archer to master swordsman takes all of six weeks. Gifted natural or not, it plays havoc with suspension of disbelief, especially in this case as the six week period is only revealed after a general assumption is reached that he's been with the gang for a long period of time.

Last gripe, and I'm sure it's in there because its stuck in my head; under no circumstances would anyone in this period ever say ''fire at will' in the context of archery.

Other than that, a pretty good read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cracking read!, 18 Oct 2013
I love historical fiction, but I am really fussy about the quality of writing - there are a lot of good stories out there ruined by poor writing. Wolf's Head by Steven A. McKay is definitely not one of them - it is a thumping good yarn. Indeed, I enjoyed it so much that I couldn't put it down, with the result that I finished the book in two days flat. My only disappointment is that I will have to wait for Steven to write the sequel. Quite an achievement too, to bring fresh life to such a well-known tale. And a new author to boot!

‹ Previous | 118 19 2025 | Next ›

Wolf's Head: 1 (The Forest Lord)
Wolf's Head: 1 (The Forest Lord) by Steven A. McKay (Paperback - 2 July 2013)