From the Earth to the Moon; and, Round the Moon
Format: PaperbackChange
Price:£5.99+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on 6 August 2005
I bought this book as I was interested in both of the novels From the Earth to the Moon and Round the Moon.
The story is a good classic Jules Verne science-fiction story of sending 2 americans and a frenchman to the moon with a large canon (Columbiade) and a hollow projectile.
This is early science-fiction, so even though space is very cold and very airless, you will have time to open your window to dispose of your garbage, when you're as quick as Jules Vernes 3 gentlemen ;-)
And - of course - Selenites (moon-inhabitants) exists that you will be able to visit. They are expected to be 1/6 smaller than humans due to the lower gravity of moon.
From a scietific point of view these novels are interesting because Jules Verne in a humorous, though serious, way takes his time to explain about the concept of escape velocity - the required speed to escape earth gravity and reach the moon.
Alas, the typography of this printed version of the story is so primitive that it allow only US-ASCII character, so the formula and some of the discussions on how it is derived has simply been deleted from this version of the story!!!
This last point causes my final rating to drop to 2 stars. I find it amazing that a book like this could not have typeset appropriately.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again