5.0 out of 5 stars War I'm glad we never had
Something we never had, and i am glad.
Written by an ex squaddie, the story covers the hideous reality of world war three in an all too real scenario.
I won't ruin the story but the characters are people like you and I, who joined the forces for work and now find themselves at the sharp end, with real human feelings, failings and successes.
I was gutted...
Published 15 months ago by Tobi Shear-Smith

3.0 out of 5 stars great story, not so great writing
I enjoyed reading this story- it's quite gripping once you get into it. The plot is fairly intricate, with may characters featuring throughout. There is a fair amount of technical detail, and the action comes thick and fast.

Published 9 months ago by P. Foster

5.0 out of 5 stars War I'm glad we never had, 16 May 2013
Something we never had, and i am glad.
I was gutted when the book ended but also pleased when it was announced this is only book one in a trilogy.
Hurry up and release number two !

5.0 out of 5 stars A first rate page-turner, 27 May 2013
I would recommend Armageddon's Song - a terrific read by a great story teller, with very interesting characters. It's credible and frightening - the author's own experience makes it shine. Looking forward to the next part comingARMAGEDDON'S SONG 'Stand - To' out!

5.0 out of 5 stars Cracking yarn, 13 May 2013
Gripping story different genres between spy thriller and war story, only down side was the cliffhanger ending, i prefer a book to close with an ending but looking forward to book 2 when it comes out.

3.0 out of 5 stars great story, not so great writing, 16 Nov 2013

The serious downside is the awful spelling, grammar, punctuation and just bad writing. This makes it a far less enjoyable read than it should/could be. With the services of a good copy editor, it would be an excellent book.

4.0 out of 5 stars The war that wasn't, 29 Sep 2013
Mr. J. P. Devlin (England) - See all my reviews
I was attracted by the title first off and I was not dissappointed with the book. Although this is an alternative history it reads as if from the authors experience which I found a very interesting 'take' on an alternative history novel. It was good to get the story from the infantryman's viewpoint (nice to see the British Army get a storyline for a change) But it also shifts nicely to take in other theaters across the world, and the 'global view' and does not dawdle too long with the one viewpoint. I could not put this one down and immediately went on and purchased the 2nd novel to follow the story. Hooked!

5.0 out of 5 stars A fabulous read, 15 Jun 2014
This review is from: Armageddon's Song: 'Stand - To' (The Map Illustrated Edition): 1 (Paperback)
Such a joy to read, detailed and gripping. You can tell it was written by someone who has been there (and in Fat Boy Run!). Self published via Amazon and to be honest it shows, the print layout, cover graphics and cover text are not great quality but don't let that put you off. The material is great. Started reading this and bought the next 2 straight away as I knew I'd want to carry on and not wait. As soon as vol 4/5 was available that was ordered too.

4.0 out of 5 stars A very good read, 20 Sep 2013
To be honest parts of the scenario are a bit implausible and there are to many typos and glitches..... but, it's just such a great story so engaging told that I absolutely loved it. Will get the next instalment for sure.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wrinklies reading., 1 Aug 2013
At last an author who shares my views on so many things including my views on our politicians in general and some in particular, most of whom I would not trust to walk a dog. A good enthralling military tale with no embarrassing and obvious mistakes in procedures and plenty of realistic action. A very good read for the aged and weary warrior of the past! A good realistic war story.

4.0 out of 5 stars a ripping yarn, 31 July 2013
From start to finish it is high paced, and covers the whole spectrum of modern warfare. some of the sub plots are a distraction to the main war fighting though. I have read both books and i would read more by this author

5.0 out of 5 stars From an old friend, 24 July 2013
I chose this book for several reason. one I read a very old draft about ten years ago and was disappointed that I couldn't read it all as I was hooked from the first paragraph.
Secondly I like the subject matter, in a nut shell world war three and lastly out of loyalty to an around good chap.
I'm not a great Novel reader only having read a hand full of Tom Clancy and Thomas Harris in the past. One things for sure Andy has a real knack. His style is fluid,fast paced and exciting.
The story is gripping telling the tale of rejuvenated Soviet lust for power coupled with a fragile alliance with China. The Novel keeps a good balance behind back story and fast paced battle action. There are many settings from white house situation rooms with high ranking officials to a Fox hole with two privates fighting a real time struggle for survival. All the characters are fully explained and rounded, if they don't have a part to play they don't have a page devoted to them.
Now I'm a Military geek of the highest order and I can say bar the one error in sukhoi engine manufacturer (sorry mate) the book is meticulously researched. Not in Clancy style of jargon for the sake of it but nicely explained for the not so geeky amongst us. The story as I said tells of the first week or so in an all out global race for power triggered by an audacious Soviet nuclear plan coupled with an alliance with China, presumably to split the spoils. The action is split between European and Pacific theatres but is easy to follow and charts not just one character but more the unfolding events. There are reoccurring characters that pop up all g the way that tie the different events
together .
Without giving away the story I was completely absorbed by it and will be looking forward to r ed adding the next instalment

Well done andy