Format: Paperback|Change

on 16 August 2012
I have been promising Simon I would read and review his latest MM novels for some months now, but have avoided doing so until I could give the books the time they deserves. I have just returned from holiday where I managed to read MM2 and MM3.
I think the writer has done a fabulous job on both, but book 3 is my favourite by far. I especially enjoyed the depictions of the naval battles and the skulduggery in Rome. Simon's writing has come a long way since MM1 and continues to go from strength to strength.

I believe he is busily writing MM4, and I can only hope that it is anything as good as 'Gallia Invicta'.
on 28 September 2013
Fast paced and descriptive.No holds barred Good storyline. Characters stood out . Coud have done with a map as it covered a large area
on 30 September 2013
I am a big fan of historical fiction but only found out about the Marius Mules series recently.
Finished the first book in two days then bought and rattled through the whole series in quick time.
Basically it follows one of Julius Caesar's Legion commanders (or Legate), Marcus Fronto, during the invasion of Gaul, each book taking one year of the campaign.
Marcus is a hard drinking soldiers' solider with little time for Politics which causes many clashes with not only Caesar but also some of the other commanders. He nevertheless is a masterful commander and doesn't mind getting his hands dirty to get the job done.
Well written and full of action, but also historically very informative.
Highly recommended.
on 16 September 2013
Excellent read good realistic backdrop descriptions. Good concurrent story lines which held my interest throughout, nice continuity from earlier Marius' books.
on 30 September 2013
Excellent series well written with believable characters and gritty realism in the battle descriptions. I am working my way through the series!
on 20 October 2013
Brilliant, absolutely brilliant.
That's the third book in this wonderful series, and its now on to number 4. Hope that they never end, but know that they must.
Please think of a new book that becomes a series.
S.J.A. TURNEY, you are amazing.
on 15 September 2013
I gave this book 5 stars because it gripped me from start to finish - just like the other two previous books. Though subtlety different in the emphasis of the story, the series started to feel more rounded (as the author wanted).
on 8 November 2015
I love SJA Turney's writing. So much authentic detail can only come from deep research and understanding of Roman history, but far more than that, Simon cloaks historical figures with character and emotion that brings each episode to life. His battle and fight scenes are brilliantly written, with no holds barred and they leap off the page. Who knew that Rome at the time of Caesar was such a violent and unlawful place to be? Simon does and I believe him. As a reader usually of other genres, I am captured by this series and cannot recommend this author highly enough. He makes me want to explore Roman history to the depth that he clearly has. I am a fully fledged fan of Fronto and would like the t-shirt to prove it!
on 22 August 2013
The decision to move the story, in part, to Rome is a good one. Enough battles to keep the readers of the first two novels happy, with a bit of politics mixed in to spice things up. Another good read. Recommended
on 20 February 2013
I found the way the author portrayed the settings and the environment to be extremely engrossing. The story line moved along at a nice pace and i found that i could engage with the characters.