Format: Paperback|Change

on 29 April 2014
Started the first book in this series as a fill in, saving my Simon Scarrow and Anthony Riches latest for my holiday, I am now about to start on the third and have 4,5,6 on my Kindle ready. I recommend this series to all Roman readers, but advise read the story, not look for every spelling mistake of Historical error. Enjoy the tale instead.
on 30 June 2011
If you dont have the first book of the series please buy it, its brilliant good strong vibrant characters who like to have a laugh. I don't know how historically accurate the books are but the setting is great and the wider events fit with what I know of the time. However the author is doing a great job writing these books and I look forward to the next one.
on 1 February 2015
I have read the novels about Cato and Macro and was somewhat sceptical that another Roman could in anyway come close these novels are superb Fronto is in any era a hero. It is a novel about a legate rather than a centurion so the comparison is a bit stretched however if you like the period I think you will love this series
on 2 June 2011
Excellent stuff, more of the same, please.

Good alternate view of Caesar.

When is the next book out, on Kindle?

I particularly like the non sychophantic version of Caesar, very well considered. I am now a fan.

I have read Conn Iggulden, Ben Kane and Bernard Cornwell among others, and this series is up with the best.
on 10 January 2015
A brilliant historical novel woven around historical fact. The characters are believable and the descriptions and dramatization fully believable and to a certain extent stick as far as possible to fact which, together with the characters, makes for a brilliant read
on 1 August 2014
A great story following on from Marius Mules 1 the characters are allowed to build whilst at the same time the history of past events is laid out for the reader. Well worth the read and am now on Marius Mules iv so will not spoil the story lines in this review.
on 22 April 2015
I love this series. Have just finished this one , the second. Non stop action , very likeable hero in Fronto and in spite of often gruesome events there are lovely touches of humour , making the characters so real. Have bought the complete series.
on 17 March 2013
main character is not engaging enough, therefore the story line becomes the same, given that it is a series of 4 books i wouldn't recommend it.Definitely one of those books if you haven't read it then you have missed anything.
on 2 December 2013
The second in the series and it gets better each time, bringing history to life and giving depth to characters that stand right up there with Cornwell and Iggulden, A cracking good read and a series I am glad I found.
on 8 June 2015
Found myself wanting to read it all the time. I even burn't dinners because i became so engrossed by the story whilst cooking haha. Highly recommend this series to anyone who enjoys reading novels of ancient rome.