Format: Paperback|Change

on 13 March 2014
Working as I do for my local police force in the UK, I am sadly addicted to these books about tales of life in the Police Force. I think it's some bizarre thing about whether other Police Forces experience the same as we do in our force. Obviously when you read the books you do not know what Police Force the author works for, and you look for some sort of link as to whether they work for your own force. The trouble is of all the books I've read, they could all work for the same force as me. So either we have lots of published authors, or it's the same story nationwide with the types of people our Officers come across on a daily basis.

I loved the way the author had written this book had written this book as it would make the reader wonder if this was actually fact or fiction. Sometimes the story was a bit laboured but I think that's maybe because I've heard it all before, but someone not working for the police may find it more interesting. Although the author says it's fiction, I'm sure that some of the characters were based on his "customers", as we have many that are very similar, so he is obviously speaking from experience. Good all round read if not a bit lengthy in parts.

This book was given to me by the author for my honest review
on 21 July 2013
Bought this as had read the first book and really enjoyed it. If you enjoyed the first book I would highly recommend getting this one.

I know there will always be some who have a moan but if you work in the emergency services or NHs you need some kind of gallows humour and irreverancy to get you through. None of us are angels but we do our best to remain professional, often under very stressful conditions.

Best police book I have read... oh apart from the first one.
on 5 July 2013
I don't normally read books but I couldn't put this down, only took me 5 days to read it, very witty and funny. A jolly good read from start to finish.
I think this is a very good insight into what police go through and not what you see on TV. Will be purchasing the first book and waiting on the next! Cheers PC surname for bringing the enjoyment back to reading
on 6 November 2014
I wasn't entirely sure what to expect from this book, however after reading through one of the sample chapters on PC Surname's blog, I took the plunge and gave it a go.

What follows was most of a day wasted reading it from cover to cover! Most similar reports of day to day policing are exciting, entertaining and even occasionally humorous, but what PC Surname has done with this book is combine this with the day to day aspects of life in general, stringing together an enticing narrative, and really bringing out the characters and personalities of the team.

In short, I'm glad I picked this up, and anybody with a passing interest in the police should as well, here's to PC Surname and the crew, I hope the panda was given a fitting funeral!
on 11 July 2013
Read the first book and was pleased to find out on Facebook about the upcoming sequel - even more pleased to see it was free :-)

Written in the same warm, familiar engaging as the previous book, it picks up where that one left off with more tales of life on the frontline including a very gripping bit of action towards the end.

My only criticism would be that the Kindle version I read was badly in need of some proof-reading which slightly spoiled my enjoyment of the book as I'm quite pedantic like that.

I'd be happy to do this myself actually so if you're reading, PC Surname let me know and I'll be happy to help out! :-)
on 1 August 2013
I read this book after enjoying "I pay your wages" by the same author. Upholding law and disorder gives a tongue in cheek account of life as a constable in the UK police service. It gives a first hand account the different types of incidents a constable might encounter with his colleagues. There is nothing in this book that you wont already have seen on TV if you are a fan of "reality" police series but it is still worth a read for the humour. Get to know the residents of the "Chavington" estate, find out if "Smithy" ever makes it to the firearms unit, and discover if love is in the air for PC Surname.
on 4 January 2015
As someone who enjoys reading biographies and true accounts of medical personnel, I thought I would try this for a change. So glad I did as this is a fantastic read. It is funny and dramatic throughout and is (or so I've been told by a serving officer) absolutely true to life for most police officers on a daily basis. I would definately recommend this to anyone looking for a new or different type of book. By the way PC Surname has another book published and I have just bought that one too! (review to follow soon!)
on 10 August 2013
I really enjoyed reading this book, I looked forward to the time when I could sit back and enjoy the various tales within. It is very funny in places but wholly believable. The book gives a real insight into the everyday lives of the modern police officer. It is well written and flows well.

My only criticism is that the author really needs to have the book proof read as there quite a few spelling and grammar mistakes within the text. Using a spell check is not enough to weed all mistakes out.
on 30 June 2013
I read the first book by PC Surname earlier this year and really enjoyed it, so I was eagerly awaiting the second one and it certainly didn't disappoint!. I'm not a police officer so I have no experience of policing but the author gives you an excellent insight into a vital and often misunderstood job. I definitely recommend this book as it is certainly an entertaining and informative read. Roll on book three! And keep up the good work.
on 20 February 2014
This book followed on nicely from his first book , 'I Pay Your Wages', It was interesting to see how PC Surname coped with the serious side of policing, and I felt his sadness and fear in parts. I particularly like the 'characters' in this book and felt somehow I was part of this team. I feel thats because I have met people like Smithy, Beth, Nige and definitely Norman!! It really appealed to me, I enjoyed it thoroughly.