5.0 out of 5 stars Shocking, bittersweet and funny
It's impossible not to ache for the hero and heroine in this stunning novel. In a classic can't-live-with-him-can't-live-without-him situation - but with a heartrending extra dimension in Magnus's PTSD - Fay and Magnus have been the saving of each other, literally and metaphorically, yet life together seems impossible. Fay has divorced Magnus, unable to cope with the very...
Published on 9 Sept. 2011 by GilPhil

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable but not her best
I must admit as far as Linda Gillard books go I found this one a little to predictable. I guessed early on at the main twist in the tale, although there were also certain bits I didn't guess at. I generally liked the characters. At least I liked Fay well enough, but I liked her (ex)mother-in-law the most and would actually have liked to see more of her. I didn't really...
Published on 26 Feb. 2012 by Lucybird

‹ Previous | 1 2 37 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Give yourself a treat....., 2 Sept. 2011
jaffareadstoo (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: UNTYING THE KNOT (Kindle Edition)
Take a damaged war hero with a vulnerable ex-wife, add to an impossibly romantic Scottish tower, mix together, and out comes this beautiful and tender love story, written by an author who has a real flair for storytelling, and who quite simply makes a story come alive.

There's always an air of trepidation when a favourite author brings out a new book, and a fear that it won't live up to expectations. Not the case with Untying the Knot, in fact I think that Linda Gillard has surpassed herself with this one. Beautifully written from the opening page, the emotional depth of the characters, and the amount of love and care that has gone into the narrative, make it a joy to read.

If you haven't read any of this author's books before - give yourself a treat, and start with this one, just be prepared to do nothing until you have finished it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Memory is the chain that binds, 24 Aug. 2014
This review is from: UNTYING THE KNOT (Kindle Edition)
When a handsome man arrives uninvited to Fay's textile exhibition, the door to her past is pushed open. Once she & Magnus were married but after 5 years of divorce their lives have moved on... or have they? There's still a spark of energy there but their tangled, knotted history is like Fay's work; comprised of pieces of ther people's lives sewn into their own, mysteries, secrets and emotions woven together with bloodshed and hope.
On the surface they seem to have stepped into a settled future without each other, not realising they've failed to come to terms with their past. When their daughter Emily introduces her fiance Rick, Fay turns to Magnus in need and unwittingly sets an explosion in motion.

I've read one other Linda Gillard & enjoyed it as a piece of light romance. There's romance and heady emotion in 'Untying The Knot' in spades, along with a renovated Scottish tower house and a good sense of humour. This carries more depth than my previous read. Magnus suffers Post Traumatic Stress Disorder as a result primarily of his army career. The depiction of the effect this has on the person who cares for him is finely balanced, touching an often over-looked impact that caring can have on mental health.

Raced through this in one sitting & enjoyed it. Even feel I should pick up a needle thread but know I'm rubbish at housecraft! If you like this try Mary Stewart's 'Wildfire At Midnight' or perhaps William Riviere's 'Echoes Of War', where fragile lives damaged by conflict create a patchwork whole.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another great read, 19 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Untying the Knot (Paperback)
This is the 6th book by Linda I have read and enjoyed. A very touching subject matter dealing with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder and how Fay and Magnus coped (or didn't). They were married and had a daughter, Emily, but divorced. Magnus tries to deal with his illness by taking on the renovation of a ramshackle of an old castle Tullibardine Tower, but Fay can't cope with this and walks away. She now spends her time creating textile pictures for people, including one for her ex-mother-in-law Jessie.

Emily is getting engaged to Rick, while Magnus is contemplating the same with Nina. Fay has to process this but knows they shouldn't be going ahead with the engagement. Twist and turns unfold and her ex-mother-in-law reveals a secret that her son Magnus doesn't know anything of. Fay still has feelings for Magnus as he does for her, but will/ can they put their past behind them. I can't tell you anymore without spoiling the storyline.

Linda again writes about a mental disorder in a very sensitive manner and filled with emotion. I found this very touching and helped me understand a lot more about PTSD and how it can affect relationships.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Read, 4 Sept. 2013
This review is from: UNTYING THE KNOT (Kindle Edition)
I don't think the official blurb does this book justice, there is just so much more to this book than meets the eye but to say more would be to ruin it. Needless to say I enjoyed this book as it was both charming and utterly heart-breaking at the same time plus it had some rather funny moments as well. Gillard has taken the genre of chick lit to a whole new level; Untying the Knot is well-written, intelligent, witty, dramatic, but also has some real substance to it tackling difficult issues such as post-traumatic stress disorder.

(I received a free copy of Untying the Knot from the author in return for my honest opinion)

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put it down, 18 Aug. 2013
This review is from: UNTYING THE KNOT (Kindle Edition)
First time I have read one of this authors books and have gone on to buy 3 more.
Very good easy read and good style of writing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 7 May 2013
This review is from: UNTYING THE KNOT (Kindle Edition)
What a great book. Brilliant story - great characters. I don't know much about PTSD but it appeared very well researched. I really wanted a happy ending-but won't tell you if I got it! I read a couple of books a week and this is the best I've read in a good while - if I'd known how great it was I'd have saved it for my holiday! Don't hesitate to recommended it very highly.

5.0 out of 5 stars B.R.A.G. Medallion Honoree, 23 Mar. 2013
This review is from: UNTYING THE KNOT (Kindle Edition)
We are pleased to announce that Untying the Knot by Linda Gillard is a B.R.A.G.Medallion Honoree. This tells a reader that this books is well worth their time and money!

4.0 out of 5 stars A page turner, 22 Feb. 2013
This review is from: UNTYING THE KNOT (Kindle Edition)
Any die-hard romantics will not be disappointed if they choose to read this book. I managed to read this book with out getting impatient or irritated by it as it kept me interested and happy to pick up where I left off whenever I had some spare time. Enjoyable and easy to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars A love story with a difference, 10 Dec. 2012
Jill Besterman (Jersey, Channel Islands United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: UNTYING THE KNOT (Kindle Edition)
The protagonists in this story are Magnus and Fay, in their forties, divorced from each other, but still tied together through their daughter Emily and the experiences they shared in their marriage. Magnus was a war hero but was damaged by what he went through and Fay had to eventually admit defeat in coping with his PTSD. Living apart has brought them both a degree of relief but when Emily becomes engaged and they have to share in the celebration the emotional fallout affects everyone. The main characters are both attractive to the reader, as are the more subsidiary ones, there are no "baddies" and I found myself involved with them all. PTSD has been called the "invisible" injury of war and it is dealt with most sympathetically in this book. I loved this story and was sorry when I finished it. I will definitely look for other books by the same author.

5.0 out of 5 stars 'We set each other free, free to prove we could live without each other.', 23 Oct. 2012
L. H. Healy "Books are life, beauty and truth." (Cambridgeshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: UNTYING THE KNOT (Kindle Edition)
Untying the Knot is a beautiful, character-driven novel, depicting the devastating consequences of post-traumatic stress disorder, resulting from a life spent in war zones, making bombs safe. Magnus has been severely affected by his former role, traumatised by flashbacks and scarred by horrendous memories, and his now ex-wife Fay has borne the brunt of his erratic behaviour until one day she could take no more, and she finally left him and moved on.

Magnus now has a new partner, Nina, who lives with him in the home that he previously shared with Fay. Tullibardine `Tully' Tower, a place that takes on such an important role in the novel that it is like a character in itself, a formidable old 16th-century ruin, that Magnus insisted on taking on, restoring, against all protests from Fay that it was too much. Daughter Emily remained with her father, and has a new love, Rick, and there is talk of marriage.

This is another beautifully written, emotional novel with depth in terms of characterisation and plot. I will be honest and admit I have genuinely loved and enjoyed reading every book that I have read by this author, but this one is probably my favourite. I am keen to read it again. It was one of the very first books I read on my Kindle and it was certainly a fine one to being with! I was gripped by this story and felt drawn into the characters' lives.

I loved the way the characters were revealed in the opening chapter and thought this was very cleverly written. Linda Gillard has done her research on the topics incorporated into the story here, and has handled them sensitively but always with realism.

The idea of memory is strong in this novel. For Magnus, memories are rife with 'demons.' Fay meanwhile deals with the memories of others, creating textiles for people, 'picture-histories':

'I spend my working life preserving other people's memories, trying to capture them in a form of textile 'still life', but I spent much of my marriage watching the man I loved being tortured - all but destroyed - by the demons of memory.'

Another strong emotion felt by Fay is fear: 'I was scared...Scared of how much I loved Magnus; how much my body wanted him; how much he wanted me; how I might fail him; how he might fail me;...I was scared of how ill Magnus was and how ill he'd always be...'

I enjoyed discovering aspects of the old tower and the history of the place which were described within the book.

There was also surprise and humour alongside the sadness and the more serious elements of the storyline.

This author seems to grasp how to write convincingly about love and emotion, the highs and lows, the intense passion and the deep pain, none more intense than that shared between Magnus and Fay here.

They are rounded characters who are flawed, scarred, confused, vulnerable and therefore so very human, so believable, and so compelling for the reader. They may be able to live without each other, but have they ever stopped loving each other?

The ending is thrilling and brilliant!

I think the cover of this one is beautiful.

A marvellous read.

‹ Previous | 1 2 37 | Next ›

Untying the Knot
Untying the Knot by Linda Gillard (Paperback - 24 Jun. 2013)