5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book for the beginner
Published 8 months ago by Russ

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing book with questionable advice in places...
This book promises to provide a basic overview of deep sky astrophotography.

I found it very disappointing.

Published 7 months ago by x6gas

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing book with questionable advice in places..., 18 Jan 2014
This book promises to provide a basic overview of deep sky astrophotography.

I found it very disappointing.

The author is a photographer who attempts to provide an introduction to long exposure astro-imaging "written from the point of view of a beginner". That I suppose he does but I found the text to be unconvincing in places and generally not terribly authoritative. For instance, statements like "Honestly, I don't know what its weight rating really is" and "Takahashi and Losmandy are both top tier mounts that I know very little about" and "I have not been able to see one of these yet but from the images it looks..." don't inspire confidence. My personal favourite is the opening of the "Shooting mono to get colour section" which begins "I should probably mention that as of right now I do not have and have never used a mono camera" which makes me wonder why the author feels qualified to write about them!

The author's assertions are also questionable in places - for instance many would disagree with him that hypertuning a mount doesn't increase load capacity and suggesting that moving an OTA from a Dobsonian mounting to a GEM is not a good idea because "the stresses could be too much and it could literally fall apart" seems highly suspect, at least for the Dobsonians that I've seen. Certainly the author is incorrect to suggest that levelling the tripod is essential for GEM mounts.

Other parts of the book - like the section on stacking using Deep Sky Stacker (DSS) - might be useful for some, but I found in this instance that the tutorials and help files available from DSS are more detailed and so the explanation in this book adds little.

Overall a disappointment for me, I'm afraid.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book for the beginner, 24 Dec 2013
My first introduction to astrophotography and an excellent place to start, excellent advice and guidance on the whole scope of the subject. Was very pleased with this and for the price it's a real steal - I've since paid 4 times this for other books on the subject (DSLR astro photography in particular) which were harder to read and provided less useful and accessible information.

5.0 out of 5 stars Getting started with Long Exposure Astrophotography is just what it says., 15 May 2014
This review is from: Getting Started: Long Exposure Astrophotography (Paperback)
I rated the book highly because it is a clearly written and easy to understand work that gave me all I was looking for in the details and guidance which has added to my understanding of the technically difficult subject. I recommend this book to any beginner.

5.0 out of 5 stars Must have for all Astrophotographers, 31 Mar 2014
Excellent read and very easy to follow. Snippets of humour makes this book a joy read. Definitely a must have for amateurs.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent introduction., 19 Mar 2014
A very good book, well written and reasonably up to date.
It's American of course, although some reference is made to kit you can buy in the UK.
The pictures are all in black and white which is a let-down.
Little reference is made of how the various bit of kit are connected together, so the inclusion of 'wiring diagrams' would have been helpful.
Sometimes how the author's calculations are arrived at are a bit vague.

4.0 out of 5 stars Just what I was after, 26 Jan 2014
As suggested in the title this book was just what I was after.
I am fairly new to astonomy (a couple of years ) and was approaching astrophotography as a beginner. I have looked at many web sites and bought several books but none seemed to be what I needed until this book. Getting Started: Long Exposure Astrophotography is aimed at the beginner and beyond and i can thoroughly recommend it.

Getting Started: Long Exposure Astrophotography
Getting Started: Long Exposure Astrophotography by Allan Hall (Paperback - 16 April 2013)
9.57