5.0 out of 5 stars Captures all the bits of information I always forget, 19 Sep 2013
This review is from: Microbiology Nuts & Bolts: Key Concepts of Microbiology & Infection (Paperback)
I am a microbiology SpR. I know that this book is aimed at junior doctors and non specialists but it is rammed with really useful facts that I can never remember off the top of my head. In particular I like:

1/ Finally an infection control chapture that summarises the evidence and isolation requirements. Every trust seems to operate slightly differently, and it is great to get an easily readible summary of what should be done, with enough of a explanation to understand why. So many other books seem to make the subject overly complex, or start rambling and using anecodatal evidence. The ICNs I have worked with have all praised this chapter (and the book in general).

2/ The list of investigations that need to be done for every illness/bug. Nowhere else have I found this laid out in this manner, and it is brilliant for getting the investigations started on the zebras that we all get told to look for on ward rounds.

The only downside of this book is that it could do with an electronic counterpart/app - I hope that it is in the pipeline!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book and compact to take with you, 14 Oct 2013
Having been a student at the hospital Dr Garner works at and been taught by him I have been eagerly awaiting his book. Some of the best practical teaching on microbiology I have ever had and his book tops it all off. Great information, beautifully presented and at the right level for both educational and clinical settings. Just brilliant and its small size makes it easy to carry around as well. Thank you!

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential practical book, 19 Sep 2013
A must have for all pharmacists, nurses and doctors to understand microbiology in practice. This fantastic little book contains nice diagrams to illustrate the basic concepts. The author, a consultant microbiologist explains in a way very easy to follow e.g. how to interpret microbiology results, what do we need to think about for daily review of antibiotic therapy.

It has also got tables to remind us e.g. Antibiotic spectrum of activity, turnaround time for micro-organisms to grow. Lots of practical tips and warnings. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great manual for junior doctors, 15 Aug 2013
Useful tool for foundation doctors trying to prescribe and understand infection. Treated all my foundation cohort to a copy. Also useful for med students

5.0 out of 5 stars Micro Book, 12 Jun 2014
Mr. Steven M. Jones (UK) - See all my reviews
I brought this for my wife who, is studying for Part 2 MRCPath; She is really pleased with this book, it's compact and therefore easy to carry around. Written by a Medical Microbiologist working within the NHS, She finds it a perfect aide memoire for a vast number of topics she is revising.

5.0 out of 5 stars A lifesaver for medical students and doctors alike!, 9 Mar 2014
I bought this book having heard great things from some colleagues in my trust. It is small enough to carry around when on-call / on nights, and contains some really useful information that are invaluable when both 'in trouble' or want to understand concepts that are, in my experience, often misunderstood or over-complicated. I just wish I had known about the book when I was at medical school, as it really does explain things in a brilliant way - something that was definitely not the case when learning about microbiology at university! If you are a medical student, junior doctor, or in specialty training; this really is a must to add to your 'pocket armory'. I cannot recommend it more highly, and it will save many an awkward phone call to the on-call microbiology consultant!

5.0 out of 5 stars useful book, 9 Feb 2014
A fabulous book, easy to navigate and full of useful information, not usually found all in 1 place and in a 'pocket' size book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Useful & handy., 4 Feb 2014
Excellent book, easy to navigate through, concise, useful & enjoyable. Just what junior doctor need. On the expensive side but worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Must have for medical students and doctors, 22 Jan 2014
I was very lucky that we all received this book as part of our induction to starting our foundation jobs at the hospital that Dr. Garner works at.

I just wish I had had a copy of this book during medical school. As a medical student I always struggled to revise microbiology as the only useful textbook available was Mim's Medical Microbiology, which was far too large and not always clinically orientated.

This book is small enough it will easily fit inside your ward bag / pocket, yet comprehensive enough that it covers all the microbiology a doctor needs to know from: the common pathogens in various infections, information about each antibiotics (their indications and important side effects), how to interpret microbiology results (something I have never found covered anywhere), infection control (again not really covered anywhere else), to how to approach pyrexia of unknown origin and fevers in travellers.

All medical students should be issued with a copy of this book.

If you want a feel for what the book is like, I'd check out his website: [...]

4.0 out of 5 stars very useful, 10 Jan 2014
This is a comprehensive and accessible approach to microbiology for junior doctors. It is invaluable reading for foundation doctors and medical students

Microbiology Nuts & Bolts: Key Concepts of Microbiology & Infection