5.0 out of 5 stars An inspiring read
Published 12 months ago by CooperJac

2.0 out of 5 stars All in all a little disappointing
I was expecting it to grab me from the beginning,but sorry I got a bit bored with it. Maybe I should have persevered a bit longer, but unless a book has me turning the pages with anticipation, then I find myself thinking of other things whilst reading
Published 10 months ago by Millie Munro Clarke

5.0 out of 5 stars An inspiring read, 27 July 2013
CooperJac (Perthshire, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hummingbird: A heart-felt account of one woman's emotional journey through life - from loss, fear and risk to self-discovery and joy (Paperback)
As a friend of a HD sufferer, I chose this book hoping it would give me an insight into the life of someone faced with this disease. Wow. I certainly got that but I also got an inspiring read about one woman's struggle to become at peace with both herself and the world. When faced with the knowledge that you have a 50% chance of carrying this hideous disease, what do you do? It is not a depressing story by any means and in many ways follows the path we all walk. There are many negatives in our lives that we simply can't change but by concentrating our energies on the positives we can lead a happier life. It's full of interesting and colourful characters that Deborah meets along the way. I happen to have read this on holiday in St Lucia, witnessing the daily feeding ritual of a hummingbird so perhaps this had a particular resonance to me but I'd certainly recommend reading it. It is a book I hope my friend's children will perhaps get some comfort from at a later date.

5.0 out of 5 stars Real Emotional and inspirational, 19 Jun 2014
heartbreaking story of the loss of family members to a horrible degenerative brain disease and how differently the disease affected them and how the writer and other members dealt with this and how she found a way of dealing with the pain and not knowing how her future would pan out .Anyone that knows about HD will relate to this story in some way I certainly found it touched me very deeply .

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyed 'Eat Pray Love'? Now try 'Hummingbird'!, 8 Feb 2014
Hummingbird is a truly inspiring story written by an obviously amazing woman. Through her (often heart-wrenching) honest and thought-provoking autobiography, Deborah Goodman offers authentic and insightful detail on living in a family majorly affected by Huntington's Disease. Despite medical training and healthcare experience of individuals with this condition, I have not previously come across such a powerful and personal description and explanation of how HD affects those 'at risk' of developing the disease, as well as their family and other loved ones.

It is not simply a 'story about disease' though; similar to Elizabeth Gilbert's 'Eat Pray Love', many readers will resonate with and find helpful, the complexities, 'obstacles' and emotions of Deborah's spiritual journey that she so generously shares throughout the course of the book.

I not only highly recommend this book, I also hold great respect and admiration for both Deborah's attitude toward life and all she has achieved and continues to, as well as her Mother, whose obvious unceasing courage, resilience and compassion I aspire to embody in my own life.

5.0 out of 5 stars A stimulating and enlightening read, 18 Aug 2013
Hummingbird
Having met the author at a social media event, I was struck by her optimism and energy. I purchased the book knowing very little about Huntington's Disease. Although covering a sad topic, about living with the stress of the possibility of developing an inherited disease for which there was no test, the author shows courage and humour in her writing, despite the deaths of close family members. The traumas are balanced with the adventurous travelling which led to enlightenment and eventual contentment with her life and future.

There are moments of amazing coincidence and life-changing meetings in far-flung places. Her journey from depression to a life bringing relief and healing to others is invigorating. It covers a wealth of different experiences, whilst providing an insight into developments regarding research into and treatment of HD during her lifetime.

I would recommend this book as an uplifting personal account of how one woman faced and overcame her struggle to come to terms with an uncertain life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Read......, 26 July 2013
The Hummingbird, what can I say.

I was given this book by a dear friend and I thank him for giving me this as it has opened my eyes in so many ways.
I couldn't put this book down, it was like I was there going along with Deborah on her journey.
Emotional, inspirational, spiritual, Heart warming wow!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Hummingbird - an amazing journey, 25 July 2013
This book is an inspiration to everyone who reads Deborah's heart rending story.
The fates have thrown so much at Deborah and her family, but she has fought back and found her way to spiritual peace and fulfilment.
Deborah has taught us with her wise words to 'ask the universe'. Her story has helped me in many ways and I thank her for having the courage to share it with us all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Humbling and inspirational, 24 July 2013
What an inspirational book. Deborah writes this book from her heart and being one of her clients, she writes just how she talks. The book is very easy to read and understand. Not too much medical jargon but enough to gain a clear and precise account of HD. Her account of the incredible journey she has taken really is a lesson to us all. Teaching us how to approach each day, the confidence that we CAN have to face new challenges and being free to enjoy not endure each new day. Reading this amazing book show us that when we are calm and letting the stresses go, you can feel so much happiness and peace. I am not sure that I could go to India and stay at the Ashram but in our own ways we can achieve peace and happiness through being ourselves and living in the moment.
Thank you Deborah for writing this book. HD is a dreadful disease but you have shown us that life is wonderful. Cluck Cluck Chris

5.0 out of 5 stars it was stuck to my hands, 22 July 2013
This review is from: Hummingbird (Kindle Edition)
I have loved ones with HD. I also am at a stage of life where I am yet to find myself an am planning to travel. This book was just stuck to my hands I couldn't put it down. Fantastic read

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes you think................, 16 July 2013
This review is from: Hummingbird (Kindle Edition)
Reading Deborah's story is humbling and inspirational. I know that I will never be committed or spiritual enough to be able to be like Deborah, but through reading her story I will certainly be taking some important lessons on life forward with me. I will certainly more thankful for my life and will stop being so consumed by the unimportant and superficial. Since reading the story I have already been acting on some of her advice and I really do feel so much more happy and content - I am still learning but 'Thank you' Deborah for starting the lessons for me - I am determined to be the optimist now. Please read this book - it will change the way you think about your life and those you love.

5.0 out of 5 stars An inspiration for us all, 5 July 2013
When you told us you were writing a book I never thought it would be such compelling reading. I had to keep reminding myself this was REAL, not fiction. A reminder to those of us who have not had such problems to deal with that we have no right to feel sorry for ourselves. Well done, Deborah.