on 16 January 2014
This book captures the imagination somewhat with it's title and I ordered it without much thought. I thought it would be a book of ultra running tales similar to "Running though the wall" and "And then the vulture eats you" but it is in fact a beginners guide to running ultra marathons. The author describes.

"One average dude with limited athletic ability publicly writing a not-so-serious ultramarathon book for the rest of us"

It's certainly not one of the sterile and morbid guides to running you can get but quite a funny guide to running that most people would enjoy reading. Obviously being a super elite awesome ultra running machine that I am there is little I have to learn about the sport but this book suprised me with a combination of basic ultra running know-how and some pretty cool advice.

There is a lot of advice on how to survive the elements, hot and cold, wind and rain. There are tips on how to read the clouds and the animals to determine how long you have left to live on your run and some great general advice on first ultras and trails. I learned a bit on walking training and "speed-ups" during races. There are a lot of ideas here to try.

However I think this book goes to areas that others dare not go, the author has experimented heavily and can give you great tips on shaving certain areas to avoid chaffing (and maybe please others), how to get away with killing your annoying running buddy and.. erm.. "relieving" yourself on a run .

Jason Robillard is a man who has experimented on himself (in an ultra running sense of course) and is sharing all that he has learned, as he mentions at the start he is not on the heels of Kilian Jornet but more likely on the floor in a bar. However I reckon this serves very well as an intro to someone who might be doubting whether they are able to run an ultra. The laid back writing might be reassuring that anything is possible.

I recommend buying the book or at least following his facebook group which has lots of funny memes you can share with everyone. Read in addition to Relentless Forward Progress and you'll be invincible :)

[...]
on 30 July 2013
A crudely funny account of running in the wild and all its wonders and demands. Probably the best way to learn about ultra running before giving it a go - you'll learn things you won't find in a traditional book, including things you can't un-learn (some of which you will wish you could!). Not for the faint-hearted.

A good book to go back to during training.
on 17 January 2014
Born to Run was inspiring but very romantic. This book elaborates on the practical details required for ultra running in a down-to-earth way, with stabs of hilarity making it a spot-on read.
on 2 May 2016
There are a few ultra running book reviews by me now - I have started on the road to ultra running, so am digesting all the books I can. This is one of the better ones. At first Jason's American style was a bit twee for me, but eventually I found some reasonable advice and there is a lot of help buried in the pages. Give him his due, he says at the start that this is a jumble of experiences personal to him, and to learn more try your own training based on trial and error - such lessons are the best. This said, it is a book I can read again and it does have a title which reflects the level of humour inside. The British 'Arse', however, is far superior to the American 'Ass'. Worth a read by aspiring ultra and trail runners.
on 17 March 2016
I bought this book as I'm into running (only started 8months ago) and have started the ultra distances recently. Having read some of the reviews it appeared to be filled with hilarity and Jason's experimentations, so, it sounded like a good book to own.
It arrived yesterday and I started reading it last night. I've got to say that it's one of the most boring books I've had the pleasure to read recently. I didn't get half way through and put it down.
Each headline tells of what Jason has found but is pretty much always completed with "or something that works for you".
If you think you have an ounce of common sense, you really do not need this book. You will learn as you go and... I didn't find any of it funny.
In true style of the book... You might want this but there are others out there.
Sorry, not for me.
on 17 December 2013
Loved the book, very funny and thought provoking. Wont give you a training plan but helped me research into other areas of training. The pictures were a nice touch. Very good web links
on 20 September 2015
good quick useful(ish)read. I bought it for the info about caring for your feet, primarily. The feet chapter is probably the shortest in the book! so I've ordered the book mentioned in it for 1p + P&P-result
on 7 January 2015
Some great hard won advice delivered in a no nonsense style with a wry smile at every turn. If you're bonkers enough to be thinking about a hundred mile race... You should probably give this a read.
on 21 April 2014
Great book and really goes into useful details that otherwise the only way to learn is by mistakes. I really enjoyed it and would thoroughly recommend it for any trail runners.
on 5 February 2015
A great read.light hearted in places and serious in others. I'll definitely read it again! About to track down some more books by this author.