Format: Paperback|Change

on 20 January 2013
This book is a Genre I wouldn't usually choose because I find Law fiction a bit too wordy and there tends to be far too much 'trade' talk.
This was such a refreshing change. Although of course there are references to Law and the Legal system. It is also real, honest and gritty.
No only do you automatically love the central Character, Jill, but as her character and story unravels, you connect with her even more because of the diversities she's faced, and struggles she's overcome.
The Law is shown in all it's flaws and making no apologies for it which is also a breath of fresh air when usually justice prevails.
Incredibly well written. You are always searching for an answer or wondering how situations will resolve. This book is for anyone who appreciates incredibly clever writing and bare bone honesty.
I hear on good authority that this is the start of more adventures with Jill which I am really looking forward to.

Try it, you'll love it!
on 11 October 2012
`Kiss and Tell' introduces us to Jill Shadow, a feisty, committed yet warm hearted young lawyer who has had to struggle to make it.

In what I hope is the first of many adventures Jill finds herself in a safe house, with her life threatened and her daughter missing. Her first person narrative deals with this in `real time', but she also delves into her past to help her judge the characters she has come to know, any of whom may have some involvement in her real time predicament.

These characters are many and colourful and include her ex, Jimmy, who has recently been released from a long prison sentence, her new client Bella Kiss, her client's friend `Sally', her two bosses Craig Burns and Garret McMahon, the mysterious `suited man' and a number of other shady souls who may have links with a major drugs gang.

The stakes are raised when an undercover police officer is found murdered, on the face of it by a drugs gang... but all is not quite as it seems, and as the plot thickens it's difficult to tell who the goodies and the baddies really are.

This is an ingenious tale that not only hits the spot as a crime thriller but also makes us question just who is really profiting from our current drug laws.

A really enjoyable and entertaining read...
on 15 August 2014
This author impressed me with his first book, Defending Elton - and his second book doesn't disappoint. I'm incredibly impressed how he writes from a female perspective so believably and the plot in this book is clever and keeps you reading to find out what happens! I can highly recommend TJ Cooke for a captivating read!
on 17 October 2012
What can I write that hasn't already been written by the previous reviewers??? This book is outstanding, especially considering that TJ Cooke is a new author. Once I had started reading, I just couldn't put it down. The characters truly come to life, the plot is believable, full of twists and turns and I loved the story from start to finish - as I wrote earlier - I just couldn't put it down! I would thoroughly recommend this book to any reader who enjoys a good wholesome thriller or crime story and can't wait for the sequel. I promise you, you will enjoy it!
on 5 January 2013
I loved this book. Read it in one go, couldn't put it down, loved how it went from present to past. Characters were believeable. Can't wait to read more Jill Shadow stories!!!
on 15 October 2012
I read a lot of crime novels, but what I liked most about Kiss and Tell was that it was a real departure from the rather tired approach of the detective with a drink problem. Jill Shadow is a real gem of a character. She reminded me of Kay Scarpetta, only more believable and real.
Kiss and Tell opens with Jill, a criminal lawyer, being kept in a police safe house. With her own life at risk, she discovers her daughter has also disappeared. As she agonises over the fate of her child, which she can do nothing about, Jill tries to make sense of what has happened. She begins to realise that a drugs case she has taken on, and her ex Jimmy, a reformed criminal just out of prison, could be connected.
Kiss and Tell is very well written, and a real cut above other crime novels. The author conveys the claustrophobic tension of a police safe house brilliantly. The characterisation, not just of Jill Shadow, but her partners at the law practice as well as her ex is excellent. I liked the insight into the world of criminal lawyers the author gives us. The plot also throws up some unexpected twists that I didn't see coming. All in all, Kiss and Tell is a very enjoyable read and I look forward to hearing more about Jill Shadow.
on 16 June 2014
I loved this book! Totally gripping, clever plotting and believable characters - a real page-turner. I read it pretty much in one sitting. Buy it now!
on 29 December 2012
Complex and subtle. I read it all in one go, so eager to deduce who was behind what and a skilled mix of crime, thrills, law and love.
on 25 July 2013
"Kiss and Tell" is very good on background. It's clear that the author knows his way both around the criminal justice system and has knowledge of the policy and official attitudes to drugs. I found this fascinating, and it added depth to the story. The plotline is different but I found it quite complex and difficult to follow in places. The main character breaks the mould in lawyers turned detective, which is refreshing. A good debut novel."Kiss and Tell
on 4 November 2012
Everyone has already written what I was thinking! The book is amazing and I can't wait to read more from this author in the future!