5.0 out of 5 stars Nice tricks
I actually came across this book after finding the author's website, where it is on sale for £20! I thought I'd do some backgroudn research on the book and found it on Amazon and got it for kindle.

Published on 12 Feb. 2012 by SarahBee

3.0 out of 5 stars Needs Proof Reading & Cut the Spam!
Published 22 months ago by FlowersNorthWales

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice tricks, 12 Feb. 2012

What peaked my interest in particular is the really neat 'rich snippets' technique he uses to get the websites to show up with ratings stars next to the search results in Google. The video on the website showed a load of sites he had made for people which were showing up in google and they really stood out on the page. My business is always getting reviews from customers on our Google business page and now I can add these to our main site, it's a really nice trick and we're the only business in our category that uses it.

Overall well worth the £8 (or £20 depending on where you buy it!)

5.0 out of 5 stars What a fantastic book - I'm a terrible reader but got through ..., 10 Mar. 2015
This review is from: How to Get to the Top of Google: The Plain English Guide to Seo (Including Penguin, Panda and Emd Updates) (Paperback)
What a fantastic book - I'm a terrible reader but got through this really quickly because of the way it's written, it's so reader-friendly and easy to digest and bursting with great tips! Finally, a source that gives a true insight into Google and how they operate, Tim's experience really shines through. I'm now looking forward to cracking on with the advice given in the content...

3.0 out of 5 stars Needs Proof Reading & Cut the Spam!, 27 Jun. 2013
I had high hopes for this book from all the reviews but unfortunately having almost finished it my mind is only focussing on the negatives. As someone else wrote, the author/publisher needs to hire a proof reader - missed words, missed letters, sentences that do not make sense. Really annoying to read! Also the author discusses the fact that Google hates spam and so do I so the constant references to go to his site for free reviews, site designs etc are not welcome when I have paid full money for a book. One reference is fine, another at the end of the book fine but to be spammed constantly with references/sales pitch to go to his business is annoying. Will the audit really be free with no strings attached? I would like to think so but if you are going to be bombarded with emails or calls afterwards then its not free of hassle so I shall try it and see!

The positives - a lot of great tips and up to date too. Rich snippets, the latest directories to list with and the whole section on Google Places/Local and advice on linking back to this. Would be great to have screen shots to show how to register with these things. Proof read, cut the spam/sales pitch and add some visual screen shots and I would give it 5 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good guide...!!, 6 Nov. 2012
Good guide and up-to-date as well including the Google + Local stuff. I was initially put off that it seems quite short, but like he says there's no point padding it out with fluff for the sake of length.

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely good SEO guide, 9 April 2015
I've gone from thinking I knew a bit about SEO to realising I actually knew very little and what I did know is out of date. I'm making headway with my website rankings but have yet to implement a lot of the advice. It's well written and easy to follow. All I need to do now is put it all into place.

5.0 out of 5 stars The information in this book is invaluable to anyone who owns and promotes their own website., 11 April 2015
I don't normally write reviews, but I felt like this book really deserved some praise.

I bought the book on the Kindle and since then there has been 2 free updated versions, which have been mostly re-written, to reflect the updates from Google which is great!

The information in this book is invaluable to anyone who owns and promotes their own website, and also there is a free site check performed by Tim himself who sent me a video explaining what he liked about the website and how to improve the ranking.

I have definitely seen great results since I have been implementing the tips in the book, and have seen my site on the first page recently!!! I would have still been on page 10 had it not been for the guidance in this book, and the best thing is, it is written such that even someone with no knowledge of SEO can understand.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent read - easy to understand for non techies, 27 Mar. 2013
Very helpful book and so easy to ready, even for the non geeks amongst us ( I have never created a website before).
There is no flannel or fluff, just straight to the point ideas of how to make your website much more appealing to google.

Some of the ideas require time and patience to implement, but if as a small business owner you operate in a crowded market, taking the time to get these things right can and should pay off.

Can't recommend it enough really.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple to follow, useful and credible, 16 July 2013
I have a website which is about 2 years old and this was one of 2 SEO books I bought from Amazon at about the same time. This book was by far the better of the two, I found it very useful for a number of reasons. Firstly, the style of the book is not preachy or overly detailed, instead it's emphasis is more about how simple steps can reap rewards. Secondly, it's not incredibly long (about 150 pages) which means I've been able to read it in a couple of days on the train to work and have re-visited some chapters 3 or 4 times to remind myself about this or that little snippet of information that I hadn't yet applied to my website. Thirdly, it's a very practical book so there are lots of simple, but effective changes that I've been able to make to my website quite quickly.

As an aside, I've read a couple of the other reviews about this book saying that it's full of typos and needs properly proof reading. I admit that I did notice a couple of words that were mis-spelt (on pages 19 and 34 and I think there was 1 other), but seriously, if these are so important that they are going to detract from how much value you get from this book then IMHO you're being extremely picky and mis-placing your focus which should be on how to improve you website rather than worrying about a tiny number of spelling errors. Suffice it to say that they didn't reduce the value I took from the book.

In summary - if you're new to SEO as I was, I would thoroughly recommend this book, you'll learn the basics quickly and have enough information to start implementing practical changes to improve your SEO results.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for my custom company, 24 Jun. 2013
I purchased this book to get a good listing on google. I know the basics but just needed re-assurances I was doing the right thing. This book works. I purchased it as a kindle version and have the kindle download on my laptop and my home computer. This was I can easily read sections and immediately action. The best way to use the book is to read, action a few items then continue to read & repeat. Once finished the book, re-read the book and action again. Maybe complete the actions in a different way. The book suggests to use a backlink website to see how your competitors are working. Everytime you read the book, act with a different competitor. Spend 30 minutes a day doing this and your website will rise. I target the custom balloon section of my website, custom.uk.net/9-custom-balloons and currently I google rank No.2 in the UK for the keyword custom balloons.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 20 Mar. 2015
Great book, easy to understand with no tech-y jargon and easy to follow in order to implement the suggestions.