5.0 out of 5 stars Nice tricks
I actually came across this book after finding the author's website, where it is on sale for £20! I thought I'd do some backgroudn research on the book and found it on Amazon and got it for kindle.

Published on 12 Feb. 2012 by SarahBee

3.0 out of 5 stars Needs Proof Reading & Cut the Spam!
Published 21 months ago by FlowersNorthWales

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice tricks, 12 Feb. 2012

What peaked my interest in particular is the really neat 'rich snippets' technique he uses to get the websites to show up with ratings stars next to the search results in Google. The video on the website showed a load of sites he had made for people which were showing up in google and they really stood out on the page. My business is always getting reviews from customers on our Google business page and now I can add these to our main site, it's a really nice trick and we're the only business in our category that uses it.

Overall well worth the £8 (or £20 depending on where you buy it!)

5.0 out of 5 stars What a fantastic book - I'm a terrible reader but got through ..., 10 Mar. 2015
This review is from: How to Get to the Top of Google: The Plain English Guide to Seo (Including Penguin, Panda and Emd Updates) (Paperback)
What a fantastic book - I'm a terrible reader but got through this really quickly because of the way it's written, it's so reader-friendly and easy to digest and bursting with great tips! Finally, a source that gives a true insight into Google and how they operate, Tim's experience really shines through. I'm now looking forward to cracking on with the advice given in the content...

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!!, 15 Mar. 2015
With the advice from This book - we just got our manual penalty lifted which our SEO company failed to do despite over £1500 of payments. Now have dropped SEO company - we are doing it all on our own. I'm busy but I'm not dopey - good ranking is essential for all businesses and this book is straightforward and easy to follow even for a non-IT user.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good guide...!!, 6 Nov. 2012
Good guide and up-to-date as well including the Google + Local stuff. I was initially put off that it seems quite short, but like he says there's no point padding it out with fluff for the sake of length.

3.0 out of 5 stars Needs Proof Reading & Cut the Spam!, 27 Jun. 2013
I had high hopes for this book from all the reviews but unfortunately having almost finished it my mind is only focussing on the negatives. As someone else wrote, the author/publisher needs to hire a proof reader - missed words, missed letters, sentences that do not make sense. Really annoying to read! Also the author discusses the fact that Google hates spam and so do I so the constant references to go to his site for free reviews, site designs etc are not welcome when I have paid full money for a book. One reference is fine, another at the end of the book fine but to be spammed constantly with references/sales pitch to go to his business is annoying. Will the audit really be free with no strings attached? I would like to think so but if you are going to be bombarded with emails or calls afterwards then its not free of hassle so I shall try it and see!

The positives - a lot of great tips and up to date too. Rich snippets, the latest directories to list with and the whole section on Google Places/Local and advice on linking back to this. Would be great to have screen shots to show how to register with these things. Proof read, cut the spam/sales pitch and add some visual screen shots and I would give it 5 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent read - easy to understand for non techies, 27 Mar. 2013
Very helpful book and so easy to ready, even for the non geeks amongst us ( I have never created a website before).
There is no flannel or fluff, just straight to the point ideas of how to make your website much more appealing to google.

Some of the ideas require time and patience to implement, but if as a small business owner you operate in a crowded market, taking the time to get these things right can and should pay off.

Can't recommend it enough really.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple to follow, useful and credible, 16 July 2013
I have a website which is about 2 years old and this was one of 2 SEO books I bought from Amazon at about the same time. This book was by far the better of the two, I found it very useful for a number of reasons. Firstly, the style of the book is not preachy or overly detailed, instead it's emphasis is more about how simple steps can reap rewards. Secondly, it's not incredibly long (about 150 pages) which means I've been able to read it in a couple of days on the train to work and have re-visited some chapters 3 or 4 times to remind myself about this or that little snippet of information that I hadn't yet applied to my website. Thirdly, it's a very practical book so there are lots of simple, but effective changes that I've been able to make to my website quite quickly.

As an aside, I've read a couple of the other reviews about this book saying that it's full of typos and needs properly proof reading. I admit that I did notice a couple of words that were mis-spelt (on pages 19 and 34 and I think there was 1 other), but seriously, if these are so important that they are going to detract from how much value you get from this book then IMHO you're being extremely picky and mis-placing your focus which should be on how to improve you website rather than worrying about a tiny number of spelling errors. Suffice it to say that they didn't reduce the value I took from the book.

In summary - if you're new to SEO as I was, I would thoroughly recommend this book, you'll learn the basics quickly and have enough information to start implementing practical changes to improve your SEO results.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for my custom company, 24 Jun. 2013
I purchased this book to get a good listing on google. I know the basics but just needed re-assurances I was doing the right thing. This book works. I purchased it as a kindle version and have the kindle download on my laptop and my home computer. This was I can easily read sections and immediately action. The best way to use the book is to read, action a few items then continue to read & repeat. Once finished the book, re-read the book and action again. Maybe complete the actions in a different way. The book suggests to use a backlink website to see how your competitors are working. Everytime you read the book, act with a different competitor. Spend 30 minutes a day doing this and your website will rise. I target the custom balloon section of my website, custom.uk.net/9-custom-balloons and currently I google rank No.2 in the UK for the keyword custom balloons.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you buy only one SEO book this year buy this one. In fact buy it twice - it really is that good., 6 Feb. 2015

The book itself is clear, concise and written in a tone that anyone can understand - but that's only the start.

Within the book, there is a link to request a free 'site analysis' - you know one of those 60-page PDF files that talk in gibberish and then tell you that you need to spend £3500 per month to have it fixed.

Not this time - I received (within 4 days of requesting said report) a 24 minute video from the author, showing what he was actually looking at on my site, what was good and more importantly what could be better (note, at no point was the word 'bad' used). The commentary was humorous, extremely helpful and in words that everyone can understand. I took 4 pages of notes the first time I watched it, and began implementing Tim's strategies immediately. I'll be watching it at last another two times, as there was so much information that I've probably missed a lot.

No sales pitch, no scare tactics to get you to spend money - just plain and simple information that the average person can follow, understand and act upon.

I can't praise Tim or his company highly enough, and I will in fact be asking them to handle some advertising for me, once my current contract with another firm expires.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, forget the competition!!, 2 Jun. 2014
Simon "Simon" (Manchester, England) - See all my reviews
This book is excellent (spelling errors and American-isms aside....) and contains lots of useful, easy to follow and well structured tips and advice to make your website stand out in Google searches.
There are so many books promising similar results but of the dozen or so I looked at, this was easily the best. For a novice there is enough here to keep you going for a long time but it's written in such a way as to be manageable and not overwhelming.
I was also attracted by the promise of a free website audit carried out by the author's company. This may take some time to arrive (but it is free!), however, I found it to be well worth the wait with even more constructive tips and pointers. Anything I didn't understand was easy to look up in either this Google book or the accompanying book on Profitable Social Media Marketing.
Overall, highly recommended, if you stick to only one book on this subject, it would be hard to find a better one than this (and the one on Social Media Marketing). The price is practically a give-away too.