5.0 out of 5 stars A good read
Published 19 months ago by Jimmy switch

3.0 out of 5 stars ok.. so I wasnt rolling around the floor with laughter..
but it was a fairly amusing book, It s a simple idea.. ugly bloke tries to find a girl friend who is a good looker.. Therein lies the problem , However unlikely the story was it , it was well written.. I could hear Boris and his Russian accent adding to the problems. Its certainly not as funny as Nick Spaldings books but I will be looking out for other titles by this...
Published 7 months ago by cruise queen

5.0 out of 5 stars A good read, 20 Mar 2013
a good read. I'm not really a love story kind of chap, but seeing as how the other books I'd read by this author made me laugh, I thought I'd get this. I'm glad I did. There's very little in this not to like, Jason isn't even as bad as he sounds. I thought he'd be a right book end but he is not that bad, he just wants a bit of love. the jokes are there, the plot is there, if you like a laugh and a love story I'd recommend this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny, poignant and wonderful!, 22 Mar 2013
Stuart Ayris (Tollesbury, Essex, England) - See all my reviews
I will begin by saying that this book, despite first impressions, is a love story. Yes it is very funny, close to the mark at times, and certainly contains conversations (between Jason and Barry) that I recognise from my own life. But at the heart of it is a yearning for acceptance, a desire to be loved and to be recognised as something other than a loser. I was with Jason all the way and by the end I just had a big old grin on my face - a culmination of both the humour and the lovingness with which this book is written. It is like one of the great sitcoms, where the characters are deeper than the gags and there is a universal message beneath the custard pie. I was thoroughly entertained throughout. Top stuff!

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended !, 26 Mar 2013
This is a quirky book that will draw you in, a love story with a twist. It is described as a laugh out loud book and can definitely agree with that ! It also has a sensitive side to it that makes you warm to the characters and want to read more to find out what happens to them. Would definitely recommend this book :)

4.0 out of 5 stars Dating in the Dark, 6 May 2013
Joo "kuforum" (Wales, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
My impression of this book at first was that it would be about an ugly bloke's 'hilarious' multiple antics trying to get a girl. But I was wrong. Yes, there's an ugly bloke, yes he wants to get a girl, but as the story progressed, the nicer side of Jason comes out and this turns out to be a nice story, albeit from a man's point of view. I enjoyed this book more than I expected I would.

5.0 out of 5 stars A bit slow at the beginning but it caught up, 13 Jan 2014
When I first starting reading this I wondered if I would finish. the first chapter was hard work. After that though it was a really good book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely brilliant!, 22 Oct 2013
Fantastic story - very reminiscent of Tom Sharpe - just loved the humour and hope Pete Sortwell is going to carry on writing brilliant books like this!

5.0 out of 5 stars Omg, 4 Oct 2013
What can I say ? Such a funny book. Real insight into human nature at its best and worst. Don't want to spoil it but its really funny and made me laugh out loud so much! I shared so many of his one liners with the office and they have all brought it! No I don't know the author but would not mind a chat! Purchase and enjoy I did x

5.0 out of 5 stars This novel is really something, 29 Aug 2013
This review is from: Dating in the Dark: Sometimes Love Just Pretends to be Blind (Paperback)
When Pete contacted me via Twitter to ask if I was interested in reviewing his latest book `Dating In The Dark' I quickly jumped at the chance. After reading the blurb and deciding it sounded right up my street, Pete kindly sent me a copy through the post.

As soon as it arrived I dropped what I was doing and started reading (after all, with a pink cover and an exciting blurb, there wasn't much else that could beat it) and I was so glad I did.

I devoured it in just one afternoon and sat giggling away to myself as I followed Jason on his journey to find love...

Jason is perhaps a little atypical for a man. He's short (but not quite a midget), single, addicted to fish and chips, likes feeding the ducks and is on the `right side' of 30. He's baffled as to why no one has yet fallen in love with him and is on a mission to find that one woman who will love him forever. The problem is though that Jason is looking in all the wrong places (so his friend Barry says) so he has to change his tactic. After trying speed dating, internet dating and hanging about in a church he thinks it might just be time to use his `shortness' to his advantage. He tries to sign up for a disability website but being just half an inch too tall to be considered a `midget' he has to rethink once again. But wait, what about if he pretended to be blind....would someone else who was blind fall in love with him if they didn't have to look at him?

With Jason's new plan in place he finds a woman that he thinks might just be the one for him. What follows is a hilarious journey filled with copious portions of fish and chips, one rather crazy dog, a Russian taxi driver, a gay casino worker, a pair of dark raybans, some dodgy kebabs and a whole load of laughs.

This novel really is something. From the start I was in hysterics and that carried on throughout the novel. Although at times there were some sensitive issues which were dealt with really well, the didn't dampen the comedic spirit. The whole premise of this book is original and the situations Jason finds himself in are really quite clever; I especially loved his complete lack of knowledge about being blind and what it entails.

There was a lovely romantic aspect too, with the moral of the story being a positive one and suggesting there is someone out there for us all, if only we remain true to ourselves (awww!)

Pete's writing is superb. Funny, well paced, easy to read, perfect amount of description etc etc. Everything you want in an author!

My only criticism is that I wanted a longer book! I would have loved to know what happens next BUT I am under the sneaky impression that there will be a Dating In The Dark 2!! (waves arms in air)

A clever, witty, emotional look at what happens when you try to change to find your one true love.

4.0 out of 5 stars Laugh out loud moments clever.Funny story, 16 Jun 2013
Good fun and a lovely light read, reminds me of Tom Sharpe. Really enjoyed it. A good coffee table read

5.0 out of 5 stars Not the normal type of Rom com I read, 4 Jun 2013
T. Kearns - See all my reviews
This isn't the normal type of romantic comedy that I enjoy to read, however, I do like to try authors in the genre and this was one of the people I have enjoyed. Jason comes across as pretty nasty in the beginning but just like with all good stories we get to see the change in the man as he finds love. The concept of someone trying hard to find love is age old however the way in which Jason does it is something I've not seen before. somewhat devious and manipulative Jason pretends to be blind. He meets someone and then has to try and keep up the lie. I won't post a spoiler but i will say that all is well that ends well.

I loved this book and the one lines the author delivers are second to done. I hope to see a follow up to this one day.

Dating in the Dark: Sometimes Love Just Pretends to be Blind
Dating in the Dark: Sometimes Love Just Pretends to be Blind by Pete Sortwell (Paperback - 20 Mar 2013)