Format: Paperback|Change

on 31 August 2015
God’s other children is a beautifully written memoir that touched me deeply on a personal level. Vernal Scotts honest account of his childhood brought back some painful memories from my own upbringing as a gay black male in dysfunctional black family. His first hand account of his experience helping to tackle the growing AIDS crisis in the 80's and 90's was inspiring. He placed himself at the forefront of the struggle despite the disapproval of his family and the wider community. He worked tirelessly to help those affected by the HIV virus not for self promotion but because he wanted to help people who at the time were openly discriminated against. Vernal Scot includes moving personal stories about a few (of the many) people he knew who died as a result of AIDS including family members which brought tears to this reader's eyes.
The book is lengthy at 567 pages but I would advise anyone not to be put off by this as Vernal's writing style engages the reader throughout.
on 12 October 2015
So how do I say it...
I could not put this book down!
It took me back to my youth when reading about this amazing fella and his growing up a gay young man in London overcoming ALL the obstacles with love, dignity, honesty and clarity.

Even when I wanted to sleep I turned the light back on to read a few more chapters
It is one of the best auto biographies I have ever read and would recommend it to everyone - including my mother even though I may warn her there are a few words I will get 'the look ' for... but I wish I ha known about this earlier
I honestly think this book should be made into a film!
FILM 4 - What are you waiting for ??
on 4 March 2013
I read this book from cover to cover (kindle) in one sitting as I wanted to know what happened next. Some parts of Vernal's journey bought me to tears and other parts resonated with me. A powerful and truthful account providing insight on parenting, sexual orientation, sexual health domestic violence - the healing & destructive nature of relationships, with a history lesson and celebrates thrown in. Great read.
on 31 March 2013
Although this book was written from the perspective of just one exceptional man, if you are black, gay, grew up in London and are of an age to remember when music actually WAS music - then this book is for you! Vernal's story is surely unique, but contains so many elements that we can all relate to. The joys (and agonies) of discovering your sexuality, the struggles of dealing with a society that is afraid to talk about race, sexuality, and love at a time when it literally could mean the difference between life and death. However, what I loved most about the book were all the triumphs! Vernal's determiniation to do what was right and not be afraid to call on whoever would answer the phone for help (and you'll be surprised just who did). As you enjoy his words, you might also just find yourself creating your very own deeply personal "soundtrack" - I know I did!!!
on 4 March 2013
After reading 'God's Other Children', I feel like I have walked a lifetime in Vernal Scott's shoes, literally followed every single footstep. His story is inspirational. It has touched me, just like he has touched so many. I feel like he has let me into his life, nothing has been hidden. I've felt his emotions through his powerful and moving story - I've cried, I've laughed and I've felt like I was there myself, and that is a credit to his superb and beautiful writing style, as well as his truly amazing story. If I can achieve in my life just half as much as he has, I will be extremely satisfied with my successes!! Vernal Scott is one of a kind, a true inspiration, and I feel privileged and honoured to be a part of his magnificent life.
on 19 May 2016
Definitely worth reading, in particular if you're interested in London life over the past few decades (with a focus on LGBT issues). I found the sections about religion a bit difficult to access and simply skipped them.
on 18 November 2015
Fascinating, riveting account of a life full of the joys and sorrows of growing up and living in a homophobic environment and surviving to tell the tale. Well written with a delightful touch of humour throughout.
on 25 March 2013
It provides a riveting journey into the author's life. He lays bare his heart and soul and relays his story in such a way that it enables you to experience the gamut of emotions along with him. I cried, I smiled and cried some more.
Vernal's life journey touches on a range of subjects that exposes his vulnerability and his pain, but you also get a glimpse into his many interactions with some A list celebrities.
I definitely recommend this book.
on 13 September 2014
We were delighted to have Vernal Scott come and speak to our HIV healthcare teams at London's NHS 56 Dean Street Wellbeing service this week, about some of his experiences, including some readings from his book. It was an inspirational and emotional morning, covering topics including faith and sexuality, race and sexuality, HIV, activism, and personal loss/growth. Our teams were moved, and reported returning to work with a greater sense of passion for their work, and empathy for their patients. Vernal's story is told with an infectious love and empathy for his fellow people, and I'm happy to recommend "God's Other Children - A London Memoir" very highly.
on 18 March 2013
Amazing and candid account of an inspiring young man. Enjoyed every every page. I am hugely inspired by authors courage.
Very well done.