5.0 out of 5 stars Sick of action books that are just badly written? buy this!
I love "action" books, that is thrillers that involve a bit of action. There are so many titles out there that have promise, you read the blurb and it sounds good, until you actually read it and it is just poorly written, totally unbeliveable or just plain bad. (If you can finish a Clive Cussler this book is not for you).

I really enjoed this book, it was very...
Published on 16 Sep 2009 by M. Double

3.0 out of 5 stars Rainfall
Published on 17 Mar 2009 by Michael Watson

5.0 out of 5 stars Sick of action books that are just badly written? buy this!, 16 Sep 2009
M. Double "Stroganoff" (Europe) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hard Rain (Paperback)

I really enjoed this book, it was very well written, weaved a good story and was set in an exotic location (Japan). It had a good pace - built the tension well and had the odd bit of violence (but it wasnt over the top supercar chases, jumpin out of planes without parachutes, etc).

I recommend it and have just ordered 2 more by the same author via Amazon. (The Anti Hero John Rain is just so interesting).

ps I didnt read the first in the series and it was esay to jump into this one.

3.0 out of 5 stars Rainfall, 17 Mar 2009
Michael Watson "skirrow22" (Halifax, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
After reading Eisler's first 'John Rain' thriller, 'Rain Fall' I was desperate to find a copy of his second story to feature the half Japanese, half American assassin. Regrettably, I was disappointed. This novel is much slower, much more introspective and rather long on the security procedures the man takes to avoid detection. Frankly, we know he does all this, so why repeatedly tell us? The story features many of the characters from the earlier book; evidently, some will not reappear in the third story which tends to suggest the author's view on life - as seen through his characters - is pretty transient.

That said, on the positive side, I continue to appreciate Rain - he is a man you will either like or hate. Since I already have the third book, 'Choke Point', I fall into the fan club side of the readership. I hope this one will have more action and less ruminations about what Rain is going to do next and why. So far, he's been considering moving to USA, now Brazil; I wait for his next destination with some interest, though I suspect Japan will win out yet again.

4.0 out of 5 stars An Introspective Action Man, 10 May 2014
Previously published as Hard Rain / Blood from Blood, as the author didn't agree with his former publishers about the title. I'm impressed that the author begins by listing the previous names given to the book - fans could easily assume that they have picked up a new book by the author otherwise. Very honest.

John Rain is an assassin and tough guy (Hard Rain, geddit?) and the book opens with him bumping off a Japanese mobster. Rain's speciality is making it appear that his subjects die of natural causes. Interspersed with the ultra-violence are detailed descriptions of the trade-craft of the assassin - evading surveillance and tracking down his targets. The character's introspection dominates - never trust anyone, not even his friend (singular) and lovers (plural, but only just).

Far from a sympathetic subject, even though the novel is written in the first person. But endlessly fascinating, not least because it is set largely in Tokyo.

4.0 out of 5 stars Just getting Barry Eisler's Style, 11 April 2014
Like the John Rain character and looking forward to reading more in the next edition of this interesting story which helps to understand Japan and its differences

5.0 out of 5 stars Cracking read!, 1 Jan 2014
I have read all 7 John Rain books, including the Rain/Delilah short story in less than 10 days. Couldnt put the man Rain down! I like the way they are all seperate stories but linked. The man is an assassin but you cant help but like him, even if he is not stuck together properly. Read them all!

5.0 out of 5 stars Eisler ROCKS!, 27 Sep 2007
NeuroSplicer (Freeside, in geosynchronous orbit) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Boy,can this guy create a cool character! I liked his first book better,this one is a bit darker and slower, yet can't wait for more!
Keep them coming Barry!

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite's John Rayn book, 25 Aug 2014
I enjoyed this book from the very beginning. It's a mix of artial marts, avoid detection stuff, women and whiskey.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb series, 21 July 2014
One of the best characters in this genre I've found. It also helps that I'm a jazz and single malt whisky fan!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 29 April 2004
This review is from: Hard Rain (Paperback)
This book is amazing, i bought it in florida for the plane journey back toLondon and it was really good. This is the first novel i read since i dontread very often, this book gripped me and made me read it all quickly, iteven encouraged me to buy the sequel. This book is really thrilling and iwould recommend it to someone looking for a fast paced book :)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 8 April 2013
My favourite book in the John Rain series but why do they need to keep changing the titles?? This is the third title change for this book and it can be a little confusing. I already have two copies of one book in the series for this reason!

A Lonely Resurrection (previously published as Hard Rain and Blood from Blood): 2 (John Rain series)
Used & New from: 14.00