5.0 out of 5 stars Superb read
Some me warped rich kid in Texas thinks he can buy himself into the family business through a legal marriage of convenience to get what he deserves - except it is to a man his family hates. Jack, is a gay cowboy with simple wants but in need of money - a lot of money. But he doesn't need nor want it after all.
The story is absolutely superb and has you flowing from...
Published on 17 Mar 2011 by Martin Bailey

3.0 out of 5 stars Too many plot ideas, not enough time given to love story..
Published on 1 July 2011 by Skargasm

3.0 out of 5 stars Too many plot ideas, not enough time given to love story.., 1 July 2011
It was a nice book which is a strange description for it bearing in mind rape, attempted murder, corporate espionage, wife beating, etc. But everything was surface and there was SO much plot that after a while I just kinda skimmed because I couldn't take it all in and make sense of it. With all the plot ideas - ill sister, pregnancy, older bi-friend in love, hidden paternity, PLUS gay marriage - this would have needed to be WAY longer to deal with all of them satisfactorily.

AS it is, things were a bit rushed and I just thought it was okay but not something I would re-read. I will have to read another of R J Scott's as I have seen her recommended in several places and I wouldn't want this one to be my only impression of her writing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb read, 17 Mar 2011
Martin Bailey "mb999" (UK) - See all my reviews
The story is absolutely superb and has you flowing from anger to happiness, dread to elation, wonderment to bewildering, envy to rage, then sadness to elation to name but a few of the emotions you will feel. So many twists and turns, so richly written and such a good, believable text.
An excellent read, highly recommended and I too was sad it had to finish.

2.0 out of 5 stars Almost ok, 26 May 2011
Although entertaining, this novel tries to cram way too many plot lines into too little space. As a result, everything feels rushed, and some interesting twists that should make up entire chapters are dashed off as single paragraphs. It is as if the author had loads of great ideas, but couldn't be bothered to actually write the scenes.

I also struggled with the lack of emotional depth in the characters. They move from being bitter enemies to being madly in love, and from huge family rivalries to happy gatherings in the space of a few pages. Similarly, rapes, murders, accidents don't really seem to have very many emotional ramifications beyond the paragraphs in which they are outlined.

Overall, it is ok for an evening read, but more of a synopsis of a nice idea than an actual novel in itself.

5.0 out of 5 stars i like this book, 11 Jun 2014
I like this book, it is a story of good overcoming bad the book is about a gay family life

5.0 out of 5 stars Great story, 3 Mar 2014
This review is from: The Heart Of Texas: 1 (Paperback)
I've really liked the whole series of books although I thought I'd be put off the gay content, but
now I've read them and have ordered number 5 I hope the series carries on.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ruthless Family, Beautiful Individuals!!, 2 Feb 2014
The Heart of Texas caught my attention a long time ago and has been sitting on my Kindle with the rest of the books in this series for a long time. Now I wish I had read them when I first got them. This was such a easy read but with a great storyline. This is a story of just how ruthless people can be even at the expense of family. I loved the relationship that developed between the main characters, it may have started out as a means to an end with a contract but it certainly took a turn in the right direction! Parts of this book are rather emotional and the author has away of keeping you guessing and on the edge of your seat which adds to the anticipation while reading.
Now I am looking forward to starting the next book!
Highly recommend!

4.0 out of 5 stars Oh mama, 15 Jan 2013
Very soap opera-esque but a great read. Didn't fall into cliché land and the sex is hot hot hot. Recommend

3.0 out of 5 stars deja vu, 23 Aug 2012
I am old enough to remember watching Dallas. Obviously so is RJ Scott. This was the Ewings v the Barnes with a gay twist. I was ready to throw the book down after the first few pages but decided to go with it. Once I got past seeing the cast of Dallas in my minds eye I got to quite enjoy the book. The plot was pure Dallas as well as the characters, but for all that I did enjoy reading it. It was well written and I didn't find any typos but it was quite predictable - knowing how JR Ewing (Jeff Hayes) and Jock (Gerald Hayes) worked. Saying that, I have now got the sequel and have read other RJ Scott books and enjoyed them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dallas updated, 5 May 2012
For those of you old enough to remember Dallas the tv series this books story line will remind you of the show but with less shoulder pads, instead of Bobby marring Pam he marries Cliff Barnes instead. I probably shouldn't put that as it might put you off from buying this book which would be a shame as this is a really good read and I thoroughly enjoyed it. The main characters are really well written, the sub-plots and secondary characters are nicely done as well. The who shot JR kept me page turning. This a proper book length with a story that has a beginning, a middle and an end and not just a stretched out short story with sex.

5.0 out of 5 stars My review went to the USA page, 28 Oct 2011
Simon "Simon" (Bournemouth, UK) - See all my reviews
God knows how I managed this, but I reviewed and commented on this novel, received a thanks via Amazon for my review, but it doesn't appear here on the UK page. Regardless, I loved it!

The Heart Of Texas: 1
The Heart Of Texas: 1 by RJ Scott (Paperback - 8 Mar 2013)