4.0 out of 5 stars Charming Happy ever after
If like me you read all the Anne of Green Gables books as a child, dont be afraid to read them again.
If anything I think I have enjoyed reading them more as an adult.
Published on 9 Nov. 2012 by ScotLady

1.0 out of 5 stars childhood fav
An old favourite - great to read when no need to concentrate. able to pick up and put down at leisure
Published on 15 May 2013 by Deirdre Taylor

4.0 out of 5 stars Charming Happy ever after, 9 Nov. 2012
If anything I think I have enjoyed reading them more as an adult.
Anne of the Island is the 3rd book in the series, Anne is all grown up now and is off to College. She is just as ambitous as ever, and needs to work hard to win prizes in order to stay in College.
I thought perhaps that now Anne was an adult, the story would take on a boring tone, however I was so pleased that even though Anne is all grown up, she is still as wistful and charming as the girl at Green Gables.
Anne of the Island is also a romance and introduces competition for Gilbert in the form of Roy Gardner. Of course as you expect everything ends happily ever after (as everything does for Anne)but the telling is beautiful.
Even though I am sure that L M Montgomery's everyday life was in actual fact nothing like Anne's. It is still wonderful to be able to read these stories and get a glimpse of what life was like for women 100+ years ago. Even if it is a glimpse through rose tinted glasses, its still worth a peep.

5.0 out of 5 stars Enchanting, 12 Feb. 2013
Am reading through all the Anne books whilst I am too poorly to concentrate on much else and thoroughly enjoying them. They are real feel good stories and total escapism for me. Without giving too much away this one ended with something I've wanted to happen since reading the first. I have laughed, smiled, and even cried my way through them so far. Anne embodies that little bit in us all that doesn't want to grow up and would rather be wondering through woods or basking in the sun than sat behind a desk, and leads us to believe anything can be possible.
A must read!

5.0 out of 5 stars Anne of the Island, 22 Nov. 2012
I have read many romantic novels in my life but this one kept me going right up to the last chapter. I knew what the ending would be right from book 1 but just enjoyed the stories as they unfolded. I know it is not everyone's cup of tea, especialy after some of the books which are being highly rated at present, but this is just delightful and wonderful reading, even for an old granny like me! I wish I could be like Anne Shirley with such a positive, happy personality with her love of children and the wonderful way she deals with them and their peccadilloes.

4.0 out of 5 stars They get darker and darker..., 2 April 2013
I read Anne of Greeen Gables a few years back; and it was all ways one of my favourite books. Little did I know it was one of a series. They are written beautifully- but each book sees the death of another well loved character. Oh, by the way, in this one Ruby Gills dies of tuberculosis. How lovely. Considering that they are little kids books, L.M.M does seem to enjoy bumping off her characters.

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved it, 28 Dec. 2012
I had read the earlier books as a child and thought I would give this a go and I found it wonderful.
I was very keen to make sure that if I was going to read these books I must do it in the order of writing and I did find some difficulty finding out what that order was.
This one is where she leaves school and goes off to college.

5.0 out of 5 stars Anne of the Island (complete books), 10 Jan. 2014
I purchased these to read again as I had enjoyed them when I was young. After reading them again, I still enjoyed them and did not realise how much I had forgotten. The books are well written and if anyone wants something to give a young person who enjoys reading then I would recommend them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfection, 19 July 2013
I first read this book as a young girl over 30 years ago and have enjoyed Anne, her family and friends many times since then. If you want a story to uplift and comfort you then read this magical book which grows dearer as you get to know the characters.

5.0 out of 5 stars more of the same with new additions, 17 April 2013
Anne continues college( would be our university level ) and continues to befriend lots of people so there are several accounts of girl meets boy and man meets woman within these stories interwoven with pleasant memories of a carefree life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Anne of Green Gables/ Anne of the Island, 24 Jan. 2013
Anne of Green Gables/Anne of the Island
It is fascinating reading how the life of Anne progresses. She is a very strong character and reminds me so much of myself when young!

5.0 out of 5 stars Anne of the island., 14 Mar. 2013
Like the previous stories about Anne of green gables this is charming and well written. The characters are well drawn with a mixture of humour and pathos. Ideal bedtime reading.

Anne of the Island
Anne of the Island by L. M. Montgomery (Paperback - 2 Mar. 2013)
Used & New from: £11.06