on 29 January 2014
When I started playing guitar a couple of years ago, I bought this book. As I was a complete beginner I thought this book was pretty good. It had dexterity exercises, it told you where to notes were on the fretboard, it mentioned chord charts and key signatures (rather briefly). But when I actually started taking lessons, learning songs, developed my technique, developed my theory knowledge, and started working on improvisation and composition, I realized what a waste of time this book was. It does not show you how to play. In fact after reading it, I come to realize that it is more of a motivational book which briefly touches upon basic musical concepts on guitar. The author writes endearing and motivating passages on why you should practice and not quit, why you should put the hard work in to become a good player...but I knew that! I knew that before I even picked up the guitar for the first time. I knew that before I even knew what a C chord was!

The font in the book has been printed so large you could actually condense all the pages into a little leaflet easily rather than a book (rip off I must add). But in all seriousness when you're a complete beginner, and you need to learn to play, to get a few licks under your fingers, staring at pictures of chords, or reading about how to be motivated and practice (which makes up 80 per cent of this book), really is not going to help. But the main point in all of this is not to bang on about how much I found it unhelpful. The guitar tuition market is absolutely flooded with products that claim to make you an amazing player or in this case a "guitar ninja" but by the end of this book you wouldn't even be able to play a cool half baked metal riff. I reiterate it's not about me and my disappointment, it's about standards, it's about getting rid of the flotsam and jetsam in the market, beginners on a tight budget don't need to blow their money on rubbish! I'm seeing all these five star reviews and thinking, how much did they get paid to write that?
on 26 June 2013
At last a book that can advance my 'limited' knowledge of the guitar and take me beyond just 'plodding along' into actually mastering the instrument. I recommend this book to all struggling with the mysteries of the guitar, go buy it.

Many thanks Erich, so glad I found you. Keep up the good work Erich!
on 7 February 2013
Excellent book for both beginners and intermediate guitarists. Well written, good diagrams with work through examples backed up with video examples. Best ebook I've seen by far. Thanks Erich.
on 18 October 2013
All this tuition AND for FREE!!!!!! Great for a learner, even one as old as me and ! won't see 60 again!!
on 25 June 2013
I have signed up to Erich's online course (which is simply incredible by the way) and this book is an excellent accompaniment to that course. Erich's teaching method is simple and breaks everything down into small simple steps that enable you to see very quick results. I would recommend this book (and the online course) to anyone wanting o play the guitar, from complete beginners who have never even picked up a guitar (like myself) to intermediate players who are open to learning new tips and guitar playing techniques to help them polish their existing skills.
on 13 November 2012
Erich's youtube video's have really helped my guitar play over the last two years. He's taken me from being a novice to being, well, a slightly better novice for which I am very, very grateful. He's certainly one of the best teachers to watch on the internet.

This book will help beginners and intermediate players alike and will take you through your first baby steps of guitar mastery starting with things like what guitar to buy, how to hold it, which bits you strum etc. all the way through to learning the advanced theory and techniques that will progress your guitar playing to new levels.

If you've always wanted to play the guitar, this ebook is a fantastic choice, this coupled with his youtube video's (which are linked to at various points throughout the ebook) will really set you in the right direction.

Great ebook Erich, I'm already looking forward to spending many hours working through the new content.

Thanks for all you've done for my guitar playing, you're a legend. And so's your cat.
on 10 January 2013
Naff as the subtitle is, this is quite simply the best guitar primer I have come across to date.

I've been playing for over a year now and I've bought primer after primer and gone from teacher to teacher searching for simple, clear and accurate advice. After all that I'm still struggling to nail down the basics and to lay the foundations of a well rounded guitar technique. But with this book to hand (and if you use the zoom function it works well on the Kindle even if some of the diagrams are a teensy bit dingy) and reading it carefully, I feel like I am making major progress.

Highly recommended.

***
It's half a year since I wrote the above review. I STILL think this is the best guitar book on the market. I am very much more accomplished than I was when I wrote the above and most of my other guitar primers are gathering dust on my shelves. I still use this one almost daily.
***
on 10 July 2013
I'm just going through it now. It tells some good ideas which is worth more than the book. It also appears to lead to more purchases from the publisher via a web site which also purports to support you etc. However, I've read one or two books now and this one should be acted upon for the tips and exercises.
on 10 September 2013
Before I purchased this book I would have classed myself as a beginner/intermediate guitarist without enough technical knowledge. This book has massively increased my understanding of music and as a result, has improved my playing remarkably. For those in a similar situation I commend this book to you.
on 28 March 2013
This book didn't really meet my expectations..Its a written explanation on the principles of playing guitar and strumming with no real exercises to challenge your progress. I definetely wouldn't recommend it to the beginner as it assumes you can already play and need progressive instruction. Not all bad though, it does contain some valuable points.