5.0 out of 5 stars startling detail and expose' of the first women's revolution
Published on 6 Jun 1999

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting background on suffragettes
Whilst I had always been interested in the suffragettes I found this book interesting because it added to my knowledge but I'm afraid at times I skipped over things because it became a bit repetitive. It was like someone's diary and would have been better had it been edited more.
Published 24 days ago by Mrs S.

5.0 out of 5 stars startling detail and expose' of the first women's revolution, 6 Jun 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: My Own Story (Hardcover)
Without rancor and without malice Emmeline Pankurst takes us inside the belly of patriarchal control of womens rights. First person prison accounts from Pankhurst reveal for the reader in shocking detail how badly women were treated during the push for sufferage. Pankhurst's leadership of the first womens movement is revealed through her look at the world around her. Pankhurst takes us through her growing militancy and enlarges our notion of what a long and difficult struggle it has been. My own life has been personally enriched from reading this book. Emmeline Pankhurst is my hero.

5.0 out of 5 stars None, 9 July 2012
This review is from: My Own Story (Kindle Edition)
I knew very little of the suffragettes before reading this. I was stunned to read of their treatment, but was particularly interested to read of how the movement changed from peaceful to militant. I also read with interest the attitudes of some so-called "great" men. This is an enlightening read straight from the horse's mouth.

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting background on suffragettes, 15 Jun 2014
This review is from: My Own Story (Paperback)

4.0 out of 5 stars gripping!, 12 Jun 2014
This review is from: My Own Story (Kindle Edition)
I picked this up because it was free and I thought I might read a chapter just to get a feel for what emmeline Pankhurst was like, and I was gripped from the off. An amazing tale of bravery by women of every class and age and disgraceful behaviour amongst politicians of every party. Shocking to think it all happened just 100 years ago.

4.0 out of 5 stars 100 years later and trafficking of women continues along with poverty for them and their children., 21 Feb 2014
This review is from: My Own Story (Kindle Edition)
Fascinating insight into turn of the century life and the failure of a Liberal government to consider women to be equal to men.

4.0 out of 5 stars My Own Story by Emmeline Pankhurst, 6 Feb 2014
This review is from: My Own Story (Kindle Edition)
A frank but passionate account of the torment and suffering the suffragettes went through to get justice for women. Reminds the reader of the domination and obstinancy of men that is still very real in some parts of the world. Emmeline Pankhurst was an amazing woman who demonstrated much resilience in the face of adversity.

4.0 out of 5 stars A vivid and stirring account of the times by a deeply commited person., 11 Mar 2013
Amazon Customer (Gloucestershire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Own Story (Kindle Edition)
The great thing about this autobiography is the way it brings to life the years before the first world war when the battle for women's suffrage was at its height. Emmeline Pankhurst was a driven person and this was written in 1914 when the battle for suffrage was still not won so do not expect a balanced account of the events. Driven people do not generally see both points of view. There is, for example, no acknowledgement here that the Liberal government against which she was fighting was actually one of the great radical reforming governments of the 20th century. Nor is there much recognition that within the suffrage movement there were several groups with different views about how the struggle should be taken forward. Even her daughter Sylvia, who had, by the time this book was written, broken away from her mother's organisation because she felt that women's suffrage should be part of a wider social campaign, gets very few mentions. But the book is a vivid and exciting account of the powerful force of the suffrage movement and the way it came close to dominating British political life in the decade before the first world war. Towards the end the book is 'padded' a bit with long verbatim reports of Mrs Pankhurst's speeches, but make no mistake it is a compelling story and anyone interested in the social history and development of our society should not fail to read it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting but dull, 1 Mar 2013
This review is from: My Own Story (Kindle Edition)
Heavy handed writing makes this book a bit tedious, but worth the effort of finishing it to see how far women have progressed in less than a century.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping and appalling, 20 Feb 2012
This review is from: My Own Story (Kindle Edition)
What commitment to justice and social reform these women had. Thy set aside their own health and well-being for the cause and were treated barbarically in contrast to male political militancy of the same era - in Ireland for instance. Asquith and Lloyd George do not come out well from this story...

5.0 out of 5 stars A amazing story, 17 Jan 2013
Mrs. E. Cummins (Manchester) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Own Story (Kindle Edition)
I began this autobiography thinking that I knew all about Emmeline Pankhurst and the struggles of the Suffragette movement. I didn't realise how little I knew. Even allowing for a certain amount of first-person hype, her account of the problems they faced and the horrible and vicious means by which the authorities endeavoured to suppress their cause both horrified and sickened me. I cannot believe that this happened in the 'enlightened' 20th century. I now have a new appreciation of how hard their fight was, and how we should be so grateful to them for opening the way to the present-day universal suffrage that we take for granted without, perhaps, giving much heed to the hard road this seemingly obvious entitlement had to travel to be accepted. I will never again neglect to register my vote.

My Own Story
My Own Story by Emmeline Pankhurst (Paperback - 22 Feb 2013)
5.71