5.0 out of 5 stars An electric tale of espionage, deception and power, 12 Jan. 2014
Mr. S. Clinch (Oxford, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Matryoshka: Love is a weapon (Paperback)
I am already a fan of Goran Powell's prior novels and Matryoshka does not disappoint.

Matryoshka weaves a story of espionage, deception and violence that stems from the dark days of the Cold War through to the new Millennium, culminating in a fierce hunt and battle for survival that makes the book almost impossible to put down. The novel is written in Goran Powell's typically descriptive and well-researched style, making the reader feel like a spectator standing on the sidelines. But what sets this novel apart from other modern day thrillers is the author's's intimate understanding of combat, making the scenes of violence so vivd it is like watching a Hollywood action movie.

I loved this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful characters, dramatic action, 12 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Matryoshka: Love is a weapon (Paperback)
Just finished Matryoshka. What a great read. Character development is fantastic, description of key locations is outstanding. The author cleverly weaves a believable and exciting tale over time and through a variety of countries. With the depth and intrigue of Homeland and set with a cold war background we learn the history of the key players which then builds to a series of climaxes interweaving the strands laid earlier in the story. This made it really hard to put down towards the end of the book, as i was desperate to learn what came next. But what I think makes this stand out in its genre is the author's intimate knowledge of the art of combat. This is apparent in the vivid painting of the acts of aggression and the mildly calmer training environments. I suspect that I will one day see this adapted in to a very successful film. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unputdownable!, 9 Jan. 2014
Holly GoLightly (London, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Matryoshka: Love is a weapon (Paperback)
Every now and then I find a book where I don't want the story to end! Such detailed descriptions of unusual locations, and I feel I know the characters well. Goran Powell has the ability to make the reader feel everything - emotional and physical - of his characters. An excellent book, and an excellent writer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Uncompromised beauty of words, 2 Mar. 2014
Ingi (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Matryoshka (Kindle Edition)
Usually, with high octane stories such as Matryoshka, the beauty of the language is compromised for the fluidity of a fast paced action packed story. Not so with Goran Powell's latest novel. From the start it is unput-downable, then you realise you are reading a work of art. The descriptions of places ring true, the people feel real, the actions are 100% believable. I really cared for the characters...this is the mark of a great storyteller!
My favourite line is:- "It was a light so ethereal that he'd always felt it might flicker & die at any moment, plunging the city into an infinite twilight"
All I can say is I wish I'd written that... Thank you Goran. Hurry up with number two. There will be a number two, won't there???

5.0 out of 5 stars Every now and then you come across a master piece, 20 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Matryoshka (Kindle Edition)
From the first page I was hooked. Matryoshka has all the traits of world class best seller and expect to see it making headline.

It's exciting and had me on the edge of my seat as I got totally engrossed and entranced by the characters and their exploits.

An excellent and educational read. I'm waiting for the next novel.

5.0 out of 5 stars Matryoshka: Love is a weapon, 21 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Matryoshka: Love is a weapon (Paperback)
An engrossing action/thriller from cover to cover, I couldn't put it down. The story cleverly weaves together various themes from the cold war along with martial fighting and belief systems, in the setting of present day London. Buy it, read it and like me, look forward to the next novel from author Goran Powell!

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything a spy novel should be., 27 Dec. 2014
C. Sandwell "Cat" (Neuerburg, Germany) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Matryoshka (Kindle Edition)
Masterfully pieced together, threading through history and across the globe, this fantastic novel is packed with gripping fight scenes and touching romance. The writing is clean, but the characters aren't - a perfect combination for a thrilling read. I'm looking forward to Powell's next novel already.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast paced and gripping, 19 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Matryoshka (Kindle Edition)
I must be an obsessive because when I find a great book I can't put it down. This novel by Goran Powell caught my imagination right from the start. The authors knowledge of combat skills particularly shines through. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Goran Powell had already utilised that gift to create great stories in 'Chojun' and 'A Sudden Dawn', 5 May 2015
This review is from: Matryoshka: Love is a weapon (Paperback)
It takes a very rare and special gift to be able to take 'secret' history that is either not well known, or disputed, or both and weave a fictional story around it without flying into controversy and fantasy. Goran Powell had already utilised that gift to create great stories in 'Chojun' and 'A Sudden Dawn', so I was really looking forward to immersing myself into 'Matryoshka - Love is a weapon'. What made this particular book stand out for me is the way his characters change identity, and he moves the story back and forth between times, and I didn't get lost once. Vivid location and combat scene descriptions that didn't waste a word, and characters written in a way that allows you to feel more for and with them than simple empathy. A really beautiful fast paced story, excellently and absorbingly told - again.

5.0 out of 5 stars A thrilling read from beginning to end, 31 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Matryoshka (Kindle Edition)
A thoroughly enjoyable read with a fantastic story with memorable characters who I will miss. What more can I say?...This is yet another great novel from a highly skilled writer

Matryoshka: Love is a weapon
Matryoshka: Love is a weapon by Goran Powell (Paperback - 27 Oct. 2013)