4.0 out of 5 stars Fun way to practice my Japanese, 2 Oct 2010
I have been studying Japanese for about a year. I'm still at the beginner level but I'm starting to look for things to read so I can practice and expand my vocab. This book was a thoroughly enjoyable way to get a little practice.

This book contains two Japanese fairy tales about a clever young man called hikoichi who has brer rabbit style adventures.

The stories are presented in three formats: Japanese only, Japanese with most the words translated at the bottom of the page and English translation. As a beginner I found the Japanese with translation a really useful and fun way to get some practice reading something which would be too hard to read otherwise.

The simple folk stories in this book were a real pleasure to read. The words were a little beyond my current level but I was able to read along with the translations and got a real kick when I came to the punch line of the stories.

I hope there will be more in this series!

5.0 out of 5 stars Hikoichi, 13 Jun 2013
This review is from: Japanese Reader Collection Volume 1: Hikoichi (Paperback)
Hikoichi is the first book I bought from thejapanesepage.com / theJapanShop.com people and I’m very happy with it. It's more grown up the Graded Readers series, the layout is nice, as are the extra downloads, and I consider the site/company a trusted source for Japanese language learning.

The book is easy to read, the Japanese text a good size. You’re given 3 versions of the stories to work through (there are 4 stories altogether), first you have the Japanese text with a running glossary, next is just Japanese and then just English. There’s also furigana (small hiragana for pronunciation) above the Kanji and a vocabulary list in the back. They also let you know who the book is suitable for, beginners and upper beginners. Would, and do, recommend.

4.0 out of 5 stars My favourite bedtime Kanji practice, 3 Jun 2014
The stories are moderately entertaining. The words are commonly used. It doesn't require running for the dictionary, although you might have to flick back occasionally. Used with other learning tools, I've found it helpful.

5.0 out of 5 stars this product might be one of the best thing owne to this day for my japense study, 29 Nov 2013
This review is from: Japanese Reader Collection Volume 1: Hikoichi (Paperback)
so when i get this from the mail man i open the packet and start to read this one. wich out knowing the time has just passed by like northing have happen. thise is the great way to leand how the read japanses and see how it is writen down on pappir

5.0 out of 5 stars Star buy for Beginner Japanese, 16 Oct 2013
I have been studing Japanese by myself for a while now and wanted something to suppliment my reading outside of text books. I found this book and Its layout very helpful. It reminded me a lot of the readers you were given when learning english as a child so It was a familiar learning environment.

One feature I didn't particularly like was the fact that kana was not used to decifer the kanji. Some may find that distracting, but for the most part, I could ignor it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very useful, especially in conjunction with a kanji dictionary, 27 July 2013
I chose this Kindle book because it gives the translation and the romaji pronunciation and displays the text with kanji. A kanji dictionary with stroke numbers supplements the book and allows a total learning experience. I recommend the book to anyone who does not need to focus on business or newspaper Japanese but is still seriously interested in the language.

4.0 out of 5 stars Provisional, 9 Oct 2013
Albert Godts - See all my reviews
This review is from: Japanese Reader Collection Volume 1: Hikoichi (Paperback)
I started the book right away. The system looks great but I clearly need to go back to my studies before starting to enjoy this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for beginners who want a little variety, 17 Sep 2011
P. McArthur (Cambridge, UK) - See all my reviews
The best feature of this book is that it lists more than just the vocabulary; it includes grammatical notes to show how each word fits into the whole sentence. This makes the book suitable even for beginners who have not studied all the grammar needed.

I wouldn't recommend this book for readers haven't studied hiragana, but there are romaji notes so if you need practice reading hiragana then this book would also be good for you.

My only complaint is that there are one or two mistakes in the furigana, but the grammatical notes still show the correct pronunciation so it could be worse.

Japanese Reader Collection Volume 1: Hikoichi
Japanese Reader Collection Volume 1: Hikoichi by Yumi Boutwell (Paperback - 22 Feb 2013)