4.0 out of 5 stars Imperfect but enjoyable
Published 3 months ago by Wee Charlie

There is good detail and it is a well written novel with good characterisation. It does keep your attention for most of the plot, but I slowly started to lose interest as the story was dragged out with nothing new being added. The ending was weak and unsatisfying.
Published 15 months ago by S A Pavli

3.0 out of 5 stars Starts off well but becomes a bit repetitive and weak ending., 24 May 2013

4.0 out of 5 stars Imperfect but enjoyable, 2 Jun 2014
This review is from: The Gift (Kindle Edition)
Sam's military background and previous involvement in developing software for use in defence against cyber-terrorists makes him the man for the military to contact when incoming extra-terrestrial communication arrives as computer code. There's a history between him and the man in charge that means he's excluded after his initial code-cracking efforts but the aliens appear to have decided otherwise so Sam is off on a great adventure...and it IS a great adventure.

As a first novel this is certainly promising - as others have mentioned it's a bit liberally peppered with acronyms, and a few of the characters could do with being more developed. It also falls into the trap that so many writers do of making their protagonist so thoroughly good as to stretch credibility somewhat. But an excellent yarn just the same and I'd certainly read another Dave Donovan book.

2.0 out of 5 stars Good start, Muddled middle., 25 Jun 2013
This review is from: The Gift (Kindle Edition)
Bought this age's ago and finally got around to read it. Started well enough, but by the middles the books gets bogged down with way to many acronyms- " The EG is in the RPC down the DCO over the ARG doing the NGB with some PCV and GGHTYSSD - "

It would be nice if the author had re-reminded some people what all these mean now and again, as flicking back trying to wort out what EG and RCD and the other 2000 acronyms meant was annoying.

Then it just got taxing and very dull so I gave up..

The Story in was fine, a little familiar like I had read/heard it somewhere else, but fresh sci-fi is hard to find.

unless you read this in one setting, then the acronyms will become an annoyance.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 14 July 2014
This review is from: The Gift (Kindle Edition)
A good read. It's a while since I read it but good story and worth the read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read can't wait for his next book, 25 Jun 2014
This review is from: The Gift (Kindle Edition)
Absoutly brilliant could not put this book down I read it in one night fromt he frist page to the last.
If you enjoy sci fi this is definately for you. I would also recommend for young teens

3.0 out of 5 stars THEGIFT, 12 Jun 2014
Mrs. C. M. John (WALES.UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Gift (Kindle Edition)
I DID ENJOY THIS BECAUSE THE PLOT WAS VERY DIFFERENT. I ENJOY ALL SCI-FI SO I FOUND THE STORY VERY THOUGHT PROVOKING. THE PLOT WAS VERY READIBLE, BUT I WASN'T KNOCKED OUT BY IT . I WOULD RECOMMEND IT BECAUSE IT IS SO DIFFERENT TO ANYTHING ELSE I HAVE READ, A VERY ORIGINAL STORYLINE.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nerdy Scifi, 31 May 2014
This review is from: The Gift (Kindle Edition)
I bought this book because I like Sci fi. Found it a bit cumbersome at times but it held my interest. Not the best book I have ever read but enjoyed it. Would appeal to computer buffs I think.

5.0 out of 5 stars great book, 17 May 2014
This review is from: The Gift (Kindle Edition)
A book that raises all sorts of questions. Well worth reading. Hope there is a sequel to follow on the read

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the type of book I usually read, found ..., 14 Aug 2014
This review is from: The Gift (Kindle Edition)
Not the type of book I usually read, found it a bit hard going but once started reading had to finish it to see what the ending would be. don't think I would read another of this author's books,

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent read, 12 Dec 2013
This review is from: The Gift (Kindle Edition)
I rarely get pulled into a book so completely as I did with this one. on two occasions I got totally lost because of the complexity of the explanations however it didn't detract from the storyline so I coasted through.
The book is si-fi end of the world, aliens approaching, certain doom, fight against the government etc with a twist and some good characters. It is a shame some of them weren't developed more but you can't have it all. I almost want a sequel so that I can read more about the secondary characters. all in all I read the book over two days and thoroughly enjoyed it.

I would recommend it to si-fi lovers but perhaps not for those who like more realistic stories!

The Gift
The Gift by Dave Donovan (Paperback - 7 Feb 2013)
Used & New from: 8.45