4.0 out of 5 stars Imperfect but enjoyable
Published 9 months ago by Charles Gray

3.0 out of 5 stars Nerdy Scifi
I bought this book because I like Sci fi. Found it a bit cumbersome at times but it held my interest. Not the best book I have ever read but enjoyed it. Would appeal to computer buffs I think.
Published 9 months ago by liz Arnott

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Imperfect but enjoyable, 2 Jun. 2014
This review is from: The Gift (Kindle Edition)
Sam's military background and previous involvement in developing software for use in defence against cyber-terrorists makes him the man for the military to contact when incoming extra-terrestrial communication arrives as computer code. There's a history between him and the man in charge that means he's excluded after his initial code-cracking efforts but the aliens appear to have decided otherwise so Sam is off on a great adventure...and it IS a great adventure.

As a first novel this is certainly promising - as others have mentioned it's a bit liberally peppered with acronyms, and a few of the characters could do with being more developed. It also falls into the trap that so many writers do of making their protagonist so thoroughly good as to stretch credibility somewhat. But an excellent yarn just the same and I'd certainly read another Dave Donovan book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nerdy Scifi, 31 May 2014
This review is from: The Gift (Kindle Edition)

5.0 out of 5 stars This is an amazing book: complicated but well worth the effort, 13 Nov. 2014
This review is from: The Gift (Kindle Edition)
This is an amazing book: complicated but well worth the effort. The story is basically aliens coming to earth. Are they goodies or baddies? And can the USA control them? The concept of working for all of mankind is an 'alien' one to the military. It is a breathtaking read & would make a wonderful film. The spelling and grammar are great. When is the next one to what should surely be a series due? I'll get it like a shot.

5.0 out of 5 stars a book that makes you think, 13 Nov. 2014
This review is from: The Gift (Kindle Edition)
This is a SF book but also makes one look at us humans and our situation. It has much tech talk but not more than one can understand and enough adventure. But how would the world would gel together to deal with something that appeared to threaten the world? Badly I suspect and one country trying to get the lead to gain supremacy , that would be the most possible scenario. A little slow in parts but worth the reading

3.0 out of 5 stars The gift unwrapped, 23 Dec. 2014
Mr. A. J. Preece "FENR1C" (Birmingham, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Gift (Kindle Edition)
A nice idea and moderately well written but not without faults. There's some pretty complex techno babble that for me I needed to reread a few times and to be honest, I'm still not a hundred per cent sure about all of it. The tale moves at a reasonable pace, but to be honest there's more talk than action, so if you are looking for a science fiction tale about invading aliens and battles forget it, look elsewhere for that. The ending suggests that there could be a sequel but I'm not that sure I'd go for it. Very wordy, and something needed to be added to the mix to spice things up. A tad disappointing.

4.0 out of 5 stars The gift, 8 Sept. 2014
This review is from: The Gift (Kindle Edition)
I thoroughly enjoyed this book and its obligingly truthful analysis of us as a species. I found some of the explanatory sections just a little too wordy and dependent on a more than rudimentary intelligence. These were the parts that would have some readers stop at that point and not proceed. That to my mind would be a great pity as this is an idea that should run and run. Please persevere with this story. Hopefully he is writing the next stage of their adventure.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read can't wait for his next book, 25 Jun. 2014
This review is from: The Gift (Kindle Edition)
Absoutly brilliant could not put this book down I read it in one night fromt he frist page to the last.
If you enjoy sci fi this is definately for you. I would also recommend for young teens

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent sci-fi, 7 Jan. 2015
This review is from: The Gift (Kindle Edition)
I liked the totality of the story - an end-to-end tail of detection, development and co-operation. The backdrop of threatening military and political parallel development was probably realistic.

5.0 out of 5 stars I took a gamble and I wasn't disappointed, 7 Dec. 2014
P. Grant "Gadjet" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Gift (Kindle Edition)
I took a gamble and I wasn't disappointed, a really good read that follows a story that's not straight forward and has a couple of curved balls. My only issue was that it ended too soon.

5.0 out of 5 stars If something came to Earth to save mankind would we know what to do?, 7 Dec. 2014
This review is from: The Gift (Kindle Edition)
Sam think s he understands the "alien" visitors but where will this contact take him.

A enjoying page turner that could lead to a follow-up.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

The Gift
The Gift by Dave Donovan (Paperback - 7 Feb. 2013)
Used & New from: £19.69