5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful story, beautifully written, 14 April 2013
This review is from: A Fair Prospect: Disappointed Hopes: A Tale of Elizabeth and Darcy: Volume I: 1 (Paperback)
Cassandra Grafton paints a lovely picture, in which Jane Austen's characters and her own move with grace and ease, and the portrayal of longing and depth of sentiment is exquisite!
The reader gets heart-warming glimpses into Darcy's tortured thoughts of unrequited love, and comes to understand Elizabeth's feelings for him, at the same time as she understands them herself.
The characters are skilfully drawn and faithful to the originals that Jane Austen had created, are credible and real and a joy to read about - and that goes not only for the leading roles but for the `support acts' as well (Cassandra's Colonel Fitzwilliam for instance is absolutely adorable, and both Georgiana and Bingley have more strength and wisdom than they are usually given credit for).
And then there is the rich and handsome rival who, moreover, is perfectly capable to `behave in a gentleman-like manner' - and the threat he poses spices up the story and tugs at the heartstrings, as we feel for Darcy in his plight!
Looking forward to the next instalment!

5.0 out of 5 stars so good.. this is a review for vol 1 and 2, 15 May 2013
This is probably the best variation of Pride and Prejudice we have ever read. We have read lots and there are many really good ones but this variation has something about it that makes it unputadownable if you see what I mean! Still waiting for vol 3 to be on sale. If you can it would be great to buy all 3 and read them all at once ..We have bought a puzzle book to do instead of starting other books as we want to get stuck in to reading vol 3 when it hits the door mat.

Deb and Jess

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully written, 22 April 2013
Having read many books of this genre I was hesitant to read an unknown author of a very well known and popularised story. However I was delighted to discover a beautifully written book which gave the reader a deeper understanding of the characters. This author although unknown and new produced a polished and thought provoking story. I'm looking forward to seeing where it takes us.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book! Loved it!, 29 Mar 2013
A Fair Prospect has surpassed my expectations.
I really enjoyed the plot, the characters, the writing, and could not believe that I would have to wait until May to read volume 2.
The characters are true to Austen's but Elizabeth starts to change her mind about Mr. Darcy as soon as she rejects him, which is something I really enjoyed, as I always though of that myself. She continues to have her doubts, but allows herself to see him differently as the plot takes them to London.
The plot and new characters are very interesting, even though I believe they become a bit more obvious in the ending (volume 2 will prove if I'm right).
The love story and the dialogues are very believable, and we keep wanting to read more scenes.
We have a chance to see in this book both Darcy and Eliazabeths thoughts, which is great, and the only thing I didn't like was to have to wait for a second volume. Then again, I will have to read this one once more before volume 2, and that will be a delight for sure.
I highly recommend this book to anyone who loves Pride and Prejudice.

5.0 out of 5 stars No disappointed hopes here!, 15 Mar 2013
I am almost embarrassed to admit to how much Jane Austen-based fiction I have read over the past decade or longer. Suffice it to say, it has run the gamut from delightful to dreadful. Some stories were forgotten as soon as they were completed, and many others have blurred together for all their similarities. A precious few have a place on my bookshelf. 'A Fair Prospect' by Cassandra Grafton is in a class of its own.

From the first page, Ms. Grafton takes the reader on a wonderful adventure - a new and imaginative retelling of the beloved classic tale. The story is beautifully written, full of romance, humor and yes, angst. But the page-turning tension is realistic for the period and the story - created so skillfully and naturally, and not as a result of some wild contrivances of plot. The characters, most importantly Elizabeth and Darcy, remain true to their original counterparts in all aspects, though the tale is wonderfully fresh. The new characters are a welcome addition and add much to the enjoyment of the story, without detracting from the central plot.

Let's be honest, far too many authors eager to take advantage of the popularity of Austen-based literature have slapped the names 'Elizabeth' and 'Darcy' onto a couple of characters, cranked out 200 pages of nonsense and had the nerve to call it a Pride and Prejudice story. That is most assuredly NOT the case with this lovely novel. Fans of Jane Austen will have no cause to repine with Ms. Grafton's exquisite re-imagining of her beloved work. It is far and away one of the most well-written, beautifully romantic and delightfully humorous adaptations I have ever read and will be a favorite on my bookshelf for many years to come. I cannot wait for the next volumes to be released!

5.0 out of 5 stars Really lovely and in Jane Austen's spirit, 13 April 2013
It was a delight, and it left me waiting for the second part as I have never looked for a second part before. Mr Darcy's character is much better understood in this book than in Austen's original work. I never thought that any other book would give me as much enjoyment as Pride and Prejudice, but this one has. Heartily recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable read, 19 Mar 2013
Read this book on the recommendation of a good friend and was very pleased. Much more well-written than I expected from the genre. I would say it is for true fans of Pride and Prejudice - with subtle wit, intelligent dialogue and romantic longing aplenty. I am eager to see where the author takes the story in her next volume.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Read, 19 Feb 2014
One of the best add- to Pride and Prejudice reads that I have ever read keep up the good work Cassandra

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read trilogy, 2 Jan 2014
A really great evolving story over three books. Couldn't wait t get to the next one an then wished I hadn't read it so quickly! True in spirit and the essence of the original P&P story but it does deviate into a new story line - but this is good, fresh and very convincing. I hope there are more along the same lines from this author.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 6 Nov 2013
Extremely well written , a thoroughty good read . It left you wanting to read the next chapter . Well worth buying .

A Fair Prospect: Disappointed Hopes: A Tale of Elizabeth and Darcy: Volume I: 1