Format: PaperbackChange

on 21 October 2013
Tom I absolutely loved this book, I am planning to do my own world cycle in 2015 and this book has only increased my determination. This book captures all of the excitement, challenges, hardships and fun that a journey like this can offer. I congratulate you on completing your challenge and sharing this amazing story with us. I am sure I will refer back to it quite a lot whilst planning my own trip.
on 11 June 2013
A friend recommended I got this book and I was was not disappointed. It is an honest account of a true adventure written in a very unpretentious but compelling manner. It's a story told in his own words and gives an interesting and amusing insight into what it must be like to circumnavigate the world by bike. Now I don't know much about cycling but I know a thing or two about books and I can't recommend it enough for anybody interested in armchair adventures or those wishing to embark on a cycle tour. Well done Tom Bruce.
on 16 October 2013
Tom's story is one of adventure and he shares with us a journey that many of us dream of doing. He brings to life the many cultures he experienced along the way and shares insights into the highs and lows being on the road day in day out. Often funny, particularly the contributions from Tom's travelling companions, but also thought provoking, I found this an enjoyable read.

If you dream of far off lands this book is for you. It was part of the inspiration that made me start out on my own bike trip - need I say more!
on 13 June 2013
Fascinating read even for a non-cyclist. Tom Bruce has captured the spirit of all the places he visited and and put them on the map for everyone to enjoy. We get all the excitement without leaving the comfort of our own home. I might even take up cycling!
on 14 July 2015
When you read this it's clear that Tom is a really nice guy with a genuine passion for adventure. To be frank it sometimes reads a little bit like a back to school essay, albeit it written by a kid who has seriously lost the plot and for some reason decided to take off round the world on a bike he just pulled out the back of the shed. If you're after a story filled with warmth, wit and edge of your seat adventure this isn't it. However if you want to put off yourself or anyone else from doing anything similarly crazy then buy it immediately. It's a serious reality check for desk bound daydreamers even considering this. It's easy to romanticize going round the world on a bike but when it comes down to it most people simply couldn't come close to hacking it - especially for the most part alone. One night sleeping cold and hungry in a storm drain under a motorway several thousand miles from home and they would sling the bike on the back of the nearest passing truck and bugger off home with their tail between their legs. Full credit and 5 starts to Tom for his bravery and resilience and a decent attempt at documenting it by a guy who i'm sure by his own admission would say he's not a writer. He has given all of us who would never even set out on such a journey a glimpse of what it's like out there on your own.
on 14 November 2014
Even before starting the book, there is something to admire about the endeavour and courage of an individual that embarks on this sort of trip. I have read a few books about RTW cycling, and I found myself just as captivated reading Tom's story as I have done previously. The book itself has a great balance when it comes to describing the journey, discussing everything from social and political themes to specific cycling jargon - there seems to be a little something for everyone in this story. The most infectious aspect of this book is Tom's exploration into the unknown, something we're all intrigued by but rarely have the character to explore, unlike Tom. I highly recommend this book to anybody who is considering going travelling, whether it be on bike or not, this book can serve as a great guide in how to approach and embrace a new destination, culture and lifestyle.
on 30 May 2013
This cycling travel book is a real breath of fresh air. From the moment I picked it up and started reading the introductory pages about Tom's motivation and his approach to the trip and writing about it, I was hooked. The writing is very direct and engaging, it just draws you in, so you feel you are perched on his panniers, looking at the world he travels across not just through his eyes, but almost as if you are there yourself.

It is also refreshing because it is not about someone trying to make a career for themselves by doing some spectacular stunt, there are no physiotherapists for the first 1000 miles, and there is no backup apart from his stay-at-home (more or less) parents, and his loyal girlfriend taking a few bike parts out to their infrequent meetings. Although Tom modestly says he didn't set out to break any records, I wonder how many people have cycled solo across the desert east of Aktau? It doesn't really matter, as his description of that draws you in to an amazingly powerful account of a young man testing his determination and physical endurance to the limits. Passages such as that one, the traverse of the Pamir Highway, endless encounters with extraordinary hospitality and fellow travellers, the crazy monotony of cycling half-finished Chinese motorways to escape the trucks, and the almost surreal contrast of then crossing the USA, all add up to a great travel read.

I was bereft when Tom and Harry reached the Florida coast, and it was all over. Really looking forward to Tom's next adventure.
on 27 July 2014
Well Tom, what can I say? I remember when we were working together and you used to cycle 30 miles to work from Headingley. You'd put in a full day's work and then cycle back home again. I used to think that was an impressive feat in itself, but then you announced your plans to pedal around the globe; you certainly stuck to your guns didn't you? The book is a brilliant read; I felt like I was with you every inch of the way. Whenever I feel the urge to take a break I will just pick up your book, enter your world again and imagine the wind rushing through my non-existent hair (nudge nudge, wink wink, know what I mean?). Your journey has inspired me to experience more cultures and maybe go on an epic journey of my own some day (at my age, I think ill take the charabang and tuk tuk). I'm so glad I got the chance to know you Tom, I'm full of admiration for your strength, determination and the size of your heart to help the children of the SOS villages. You inspired me to take action of my own and sponsor young Pongsatorn Sookpon, an eleven year old boy in Chiangrai, Thailand. I look forward to reading your next adventure, all the best for the future to you and Laura.
on 26 March 2015
This book will make you want to quit your job and go cycle touring!
Caveat: I read this book after having decided that I was going to cycle around the world. Whilst I've not yet headed off, I have handed in my notice at work. With Time writing as an amateur, I read this book with anticipation, having been recommended it by my husband who demanded that I must read it. It didn't disappoint; it made me realise that it really was possible to achieve what we wanted to, and in actual fact, the hardest part would not be the riding (although the headwinds will not always be my friend!). The worst part of the book? The almost graphic detail of a 'toilet issue' (although to be honest, it really is helpful to know exactly what I might have to encounter!). The best part? The ability to inspire and motivate any reader to go out and do it.
I would have gone for four stars, as the proofreader in me picked up quite a lot or errors, but I understand that these have now been addressed (I think I had a first edition passed to me by my husband). Either way, the content certainly deserves 5 well-earned stars.
on 13 November 2013
like I have said it is a very good book, never boring,well balanced between adventure and cycling journey.
along the pages we can see the differences and similarity from countries to countries.congratulation Tom
well done.also the paper is good quality and white ,,you think it is not important but as far as I concern it is easier to read ,I have bought book with yellow pages and sometime the letters are so small you need a magnificent to read it ,but Tom book are great quality .
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse