I recommend this book for everyone.
It's very well explained. it shows you all you need about pattern cutting from beginner to an intermediate level. Very helpful and good for reference. To be honest some things in this book I wouldn't be able to understand without studying fashion before. So I think is good for beginners but not for complete beginner.
A must...
Published 14 months ago by juan

1.0 out of 5 stars Worst book ever purchased
Whilst this book aims to simplify the technical aspects of pattern cutting, it is not contextual and relational to fashion clothes making. Whilst I understand the simplified approach, it would have been far more practical to demonstrate each technique in relation to different garment areas, as this would be more meaningful to the learner. I find the book way too wordy,...
Published 2 months ago by Cyndyg

5.0 out of 5 stars All I studied about pattern cutting on my 1st year fashion degree, 8 Jun 2013
I recommend this book for everyone.
A must have book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good for beginners or as a refresher course, 6 Jan 2013
A great book for beginners and established dress makers alike.. a good refresher book which did contain a few elements that weren't discussed on my fashion design course

5.0 out of 5 stars Novice or expert?, 21 Aug 2013
This review is from: How Patterns Work: The Fundamental Principles of Pattern Making and Sewing in Fashion Design (Paperback)
Whatever stage you're at this book is a great piece of reference material that you will use time and time again. I have found other text on the subject, either over complicated or flowery and unhelpful. This book is neither and has a no fuss approach, with beautifully informative diagrams. Worth the cash.

5.0 out of 5 stars everyone should have one, 9 May 2014
This book was not around when I trained in pattern cutting. This is a tragic fact. It would have saved me so much angst. As a visual learner I found a lot of the other books confusing but I ploughed on. I am a professional couturier now and still found this book informative, it articulated simply all the fundamental principles I now take for granted. I will be using it as a valuable resource when passing the skills on to others and also to remind me of the "how and why" when I come to do something I haven't done for a while. A must have tool for the experienced and beginner alike. I cannot recommend it highly enough. Buy it now or regret it later.

4.0 out of 5 stars just what I required to answer the nagging questions!, 17 Nov 2013
When I brought it for my Kindle I was worried that it might not be easily to comprehend. How wrong I was - It is well written and follows on in an organized is easy to read and very informative and provides an insight into the way the professional's work.

5.0 out of 5 stars How Patterns Work is genious, 20 April 2013
Weather you're a novice or professional How Patterns Work's well written and beautifully explained pages will sing out to you in your darkest hour and lead you to your best work yet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything you wanted to know but didn't know who to ask, 16 Nov 2013
Suzy W (Sydney, Australia) - See all my reviews
I wish that I had this book when the sewing bug bit me when I was a teenager as it would have saved me time by explaining why things are the way they are when it comes to understanding pattern making and the realities of designing garments. It is never to late to learn these things.

5.0 out of 5 stars A GREAT WORKHORSE TEXTBOOK., 2 Nov 2013
Just one look inside the contents listed in this book tells you how comprehensively this subject is covered. I have had a quick overview and read various parts and am now starting at the beginning. Although I am a fairly experienced dressmaker and tailor I am forcing myself to begin here rather than cherry pick the parts I am more interested in because that is format the editors wish you to follow to get the most out of the material. It promises that this method will give the sewer a new and fuller understanding of the whole subject of pattern making. When and if I follow this through I should be much better informed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good diagrams, short chapters, overall easy to read, 15 Nov 2013
I think the "look inside" function referred to another book as I distinctly remember seeing diagrams on different types of shoulder joins

4.0 out of 5 stars A very good book for explaining how to make alterations to a ..., 2 July 2014
A very good book for explaining how to make alterations to a basic pattern. Does get a bit repetitive though. I'm looking forward to more books from the same people but I hope they use the copy and paste facility a little less.