Format: Paperback|Change

on 5 June 2013
What can I say. After having enjoyed the original I gave this a go expecting it to be themed on the original work. I soon found out it is more than themed, it is just a complete copy with some parts changed but mostly just the same. We don't need to know what it would be like in the 21st century, we know as we live in it ! - the beauty of the original book is the musings from a bygone era. A lazy offering ; there are two paths to take

a) If you have not read the original then read that instead of this.
b) If you have read the original you do not need to read this, it's a poor facsimile.
on 27 April 2013
I loved the original 19th century Mr Pooter, and was delighted to find this book offered on kindle 'for free'. However, as others have said, it's just a total rip-off of the original. I got bored very quickly and didn't finish reading it.
on 21 November 2012
Like several other reviewers, I found Mr Pooter's book through Twitter, where he is an unmissable comic presence. I'm also a fan of the original Diary of a Nobody, which is one of my favourite works of late 19th century fiction.

In the Diary of a Nobody in the 21st Century, the original classic is brought into the present day. When I first started reading the book I was a little skeptical; surely, I thought, this is just the same as the original but with modern props instead of Victorian ones! However, as I read on I realised that the skill of Charles Pooter V is not in reinventing or changing anything, but rather in a subtle process of translation.

The original Victorian humour, if dumped crudely into a 21st century setting, would not work. Charles Pooter V has translated this humour with considerable skill so that, without changing the substance of the original, the comedy continues to make sense in a modern context. It's a very British form of comedy that derives its humour from the peculiarities of class. The fact that this material is still just as funny today, if not more so in this re-imagining, is a testament to how much class continues to drive our society--even if we like to think it doesn't.

Is this hugely different from the original? No, and a fan of the original book will find few surprises here. However, I think Charles Pooter V's version can enhance the enjoyment of the original by providing contrast, and some modern context (plus charming illustrations).
on 12 March 2013
If you are familiar with original Diary you are likely to be as disappointed as I was by this update. The events and jokes are exactly the same but given a modern flavour, which although mildly amusing to start with, like Boris as 'Lord' Mayor, gradually cease to have any effect and I couldn't be bothered to finish it. Don't know why all the other reviews are so glowing. They are what persuaded me. I should have tried a sample first and I would have realised, but it's only £2+ wasted.
on 4 September 2012
I purchased Mr Pooter's diary after enjoying his daily musings on twitter, and was not disappointed. I was not previously aware of the original, as i am not that "well read", but this did not matter as i was able to enjoy it without cross referring, which may have made me "cross" ha ha....that was a joke.

Mr Pooter is an extremely likeable man who generally follows a structured path through life, enjoying the finer things in life, like Cava, bran flakes and mini pizzas. He is well supported (most of the time) by the lovely Carrie (Mrs Pooter), his friends (Gowing & Cummings) and his son (Lupin), who i have to say irritated me slightly.

The diary (a bumper 14 months long) gives an enjoyable insight in to his daily encounters with his family, friends, and the honourable Barry Perkupp amongst others. I thoroughly enjoyed reading the diary and would recommend it to anybody.

I am already encouraging Mr Pooter to write a follow up. I suggest you do so via Twitter, his name is @charlespooter
on 6 April 2013
I read the review from THe Leigh's, see below, and thought well surely it can't be that bad? It can. It is. So disappointing. It purports to be a sequel but it's not. This is the original with references to the modern world. The exact same jokes but replacing old fashioned jokes with new words. So instead of calling cards, reference to twitter, instead of delivery from the local butcher, waitrose delivers. Exact same jokes exact same story. This is not a sequel, this is ripping off someone else's work which is out of copyright and replacing a few words. Don't waste your money, instead download the free version of A Diary Of A Nobody and enjoy the original and best.
on 4 September 2012
Having followed Mr Pooter for a little while on twitter,I was intrigued to read his diary to see if it continued his gentle sense of humour and views on life.I was not disappointed.A thoroughly enjoyable book which,in a complementary way,reminded me of Sue Townsend.Recommended.
on 19 August 2013
I bought this after seeing that the majority of reviews were good. I don't know what I expected, but not the exact same wording with a modern slant on them. I agree with reviewers The Leigh's and Michelle, it was a disappointing read. I loved the original book and read it over and over again, but am sorry that I bought this one.
on 19 March 2012
I have read the 'original' Diary of a Nobody, so was intrigued by this updating of the idea. I was concerned that the gentle humour might not translate too well into our troubled modern times, but my fears were unfounded. This is beautifully done, with some wonderful phrases and the correct use of English so rare these days. Well worth the paltry sum required to download it. Enjoy.
on 27 May 2013
What a wonderful book. This was one I thought I would probably read in short diary entry sized bursts. However, on first picking it up I found myself more than half way through before I knew it. In the end I read it in about four sittings and I have a feeling it will be one of those books that I re-read every now and then; discovering something new each time as the humour is just so subtle and clever. I'm hoping there will be a sequel or even a collection. An absolute delight from start to finish; I think this book may well appeal to fans of the TV sitcom Ever Decreasing Circles although I have to say that Charles is a far more likeable character than Martin. I'm awarding five stars of course. Well deserved. Fair and square.