5.0 out of 5 stars Saved me about an hour a day
Disclaimer: I bought the beta version from the authors' website and submitted some minor suggested changes, for which they kindly named me as a final reviewer in the book.

Published 19 months ago by Garry

3.0 out of 5 stars Useful
Worth a read as there are some good tips and best practices in it but the ice cream metaphors are strained
Published 15 months ago by tjm

5.0 out of 5 stars Saved me about an hour a day, 15 May 2013
Garry "GarryC" (Glasgow, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews

This book is perfect for anyone who knows the basics of getting a django site up-and-running but needs advice from the pros to make their site professional and lean. I was a week away from deploying my first major project when I finished reading it. I decided to rebuild it from the ground up using the structures recommended here because I was so convinced of their superiority over the design patterns I'd initially chosen. Since then my site has been easier to manage and further development has happened faster.

I read the appropriate sections of this book before I add any new features to my site now. That practice routinely saves me from going in the wrong direction and smooths the development process. My code is clearer when I come back to it after a break, making maintenance simple. Follow the advice in this book and you'll produce projects you can be proud of. I know I have.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best practices are very informative, 20 April 2013
This review is from: Two Scoops of Django: Best Practices For Django 1.5 (Paperback)
I liked this book so much! It teaches you the best practices on Django and avoiding pitfalls. How to organize your code, what not to use, what to use, etc. I wish I could read it at the early stages of my Django development.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant for expanding knowledge, 2 Dec 2013
Django is a web framework that has quickly established itself as one of the most robust and flexible web frameworks available for programmers. I've been using Django for two years already and I wanted to ensure I was using Django the Right Way. Two Scoops offers a collection of chapters on exactly that - perfecting Django production techniques and showing brilliant practices that will drastically increase any Django developer's ability to produce great web applications.
This book has been so invaluable to me I purchased the Kindle version two months later so I could keep a copy with me at all times as I regularly consult it.

Danny and Audrey have made a fantastic contribution to the Django community with this book and I eagerly look forward to their future publications. Great work guys.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic overview of current best practices, 28 Nov 2013
For those who've been deploying Django websites for a while, this is a fantastic overview of best practices with Django 1.5. I found at least one "huh, what a neat idea" moment in each chapter - there are lots of great ideas that seem obvious only in retrospect. It was nice reading it with the confidence that not only are the authors very active members in the Django community, but also knowing that the book is recommended by many of the Django core contributors, so the best practices it advocates really are best practices.

If you're newer to Django, this book will help you avoid some of the mistakes the rest of us have already made.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great collection of Django good practices, 28 Nov 2013
If you are building apps using Django, then this book is a must. I have bought it in paper edition during one of the conferences and then also digital version from author's website. Since then I learnt some interesting approaches from it and ensured myself that the rest of the techniques I am using are supported by the author (and community in general, as this book seems to address also community-wide best practices for Django).

This is definitely not a tutorial. It is for you, if you have built some sites in Django and only need to learn some good practices to avoid obstacles and increase efficiency when building more systems or more complex ones.

Good job on gathering it! I will definitely buy edition adapted to next versions :)

4.0 out of 5 stars Mostly excellent book., 21 Oct 2013
This is an excellent book which clarifies many points about best practice with django. I know the ice cream metaphors are meant to be fun, but often I found them so strained that it made the point harder to understand, not easier.

The book as it's not intended to be an introductory volume, and this works quite well as they are able to quite concisely talk about how best to go about writing django apps/sites without wasting time on the basics. So if you're considering buying this volume as a beginner then know it's not going to be a step-by-step how-to book. This is particularly true as each chapter stands alone so it can be used as a very handy reference. I would recommend this book to any beginner however, just make sure you've run through the (linked in the book) django tutorials before starting it otherwise a lot of the concepts will be meaningless.

I think this book is most valuable to someone who has a bit of experience with django and understands the nuts and bolts. Reading the book at that point gets you thinking in the right way about building django projects and is a pretty quick read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Probably the most handy guide for Django 1.5, 16 Oct 2013
First of all, you're getting a book written by a fantastic active and engaging figure in the Django community.
Second, you get to keep this fun, well written bundle of tips next to you while you work!
That was enough for me to write this review :)

I would not recommend this for first-timers to django, but then, if you work with the tutorial on the djangoproject site and start playing around on your own, this is a great place to move on to after wrestling with the basics for a while. I found this especially true when needing to launch head-first into soon-to-be production code.

It's more than just a book.
I've tried to express this to a few of my friends and colleagues and it's especially true when you realise that this is *the* gateway drug for some into the django community. Danny and Audrey are enthusiastic about their work and actively encourage discussion via social media and comments.

It's enjoyable to read!
This is not (as you can probably tell by the flamboyant cover!) a heavy, grinding reference guide covering all there is to know about Django. This is for people that want the juicy bits in between the lines. I started reading this casually and eventually found myself flicking through it whenever I approached a new system, feature or idea.

Thanks again for a lovely book! :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Usefully and funny book, 7 Oct 2013
Funny way to learn best practices in Django 1.5. The book contains all the important aspects of Django codding.
Reading provides many pleasant moments, which is not common in books for programmers

5.0 out of 5 stars If you use Django, buy this book now., 20 July 2013
I already had several years of experience with Django development, and learned a ton of new stuff from this book. It's probably the best tech book I have ever read. No useless filling, but just practical advice, at a level that you can easily apply it to your own projects. The recommendations are also very well motivated, meaning that if you decide to work differently, at least you can understand the arguments of either option. Areas which are more open to debate include good discussion of the most common options, and what might be best to choose where.

In short, I'd be hesitant to hire anyone claiming to be an experienced Django developer, if they had not read this book. Don't think about it any further, buy this book now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 1 Feb 2014
A great overview of what to do which gets increasingly technical. I have back again and again and read further going 'ah i see that now'. Plus its all exampled by ice cream!

Two Scoops of Django: Best Practices For Django 1.5
Two Scoops of Django: Best Practices For Django 1.5 by Audrey Roy (Paperback - 16 April 2013)