4.0 out of 5 stars VERY good reference book for astro imaging, 31 Dec 2013
This review is from: The Deep-sky Imaging Primer (Paperback)
I've allready read quite a few astrophotography books (both deep sky and planetary) and this one is, perhaps, the best I've encountered. It's not full of redundant information like formulaes that you could find in other books or web sites. Instead, it presents that same info in a very clear and understandable way. Only now, after reading the chapters about chip sizes and image scale, I really understand how pixel size and seeing afect my imaging. I had read about the subject lots of times in the past, but now it's quite clear.
The first half of the book is about the fundamental topics like noise, ccd technology and capturing, and the final section is about processing. In these last 100 pages there's A LOT of meat to chew: color models, calibration and the entire post-processing workflow (histogram corrections, sharpening, smoothing, levels, stretching...). It's the kind of stuff that you'll be able to understand just by reading leisurely, but you'll want to keep this book close to your workstation and use it as reference.

Minor quibble: I dislike the page format and size. You have to use both hands while handling it and thats just not right for this kind of book. I've allready used it while imaging and its impractical. The book just doesn't sit still on a table, near your desktop computer, when you're making the most ou of its clear and concise tips and info.

This may sound a bit too much to the sceptic and experienced astrophotographer, but I would really recomend this book to all levels of amateurs doing AP. It has the basics presented in a way that won't leave you with doubts, it goes into advanced techniques and, besides a couple of pages dedicated to cameras, it's not destined to obsolescence any time soon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent guide for the beginner and intermediate imager, 18 Jan 2014
This review is from: The Deep-sky Imaging Primer (Paperback)
This is a very impressive and fairly comprehensive book on deep sky astrophotography.

The book covers everything from sensor chips and signal to noise ratios to suitable imaging targets and processing tips (including walkthroughs for DSLR and CCD imaging) and everything in between in a clear, concise and authoritative way.

The book appears to be self-published and - in the UK at least - looks to have been digitally printed-on-demand but the quality of the many images stands up pretty well considering. There are a few more typographic errors than I would consider normal but the quality and breadth of the content is terrific.

Calling the book a primer does it a bit of an injustice in my opinion as the content will keep good intermediate level imagers entertained and I am sure most amateur astrophotographers will get a lot out of it; it's a great next step on from Steve Richard's acclaimed Making Every Photon Count and is very highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant book -- Could do with a slightly larger type face, 29 Mar 2014
This review is from: The Deep-sky Imaging Primer (Paperback)
This is a really good book and should be read along with Getting started with Long Exposure Astrophotography - Allan Hall. If you are starting out in this field this is all you need. I would have preferred more detail in Chapter 15 - Calibration process. The author give details about Light / Dark / Flat / Bias frames that you need to capture but doesn't give an example so to some extent we are left in the dark. I haven't finished reading the book. I only got it yesterday.

I certainly recommend this though. It has a lot technical details ( enough to keep you reading, not too much to make you yawn and put the book down never to lift it up).

It has certainly given me a lot to go on and understand the underlying fundamentals about photons, trackng, image quality, etc etc .

I would recommend it without hesitation to an amateur. I don't intend to put this book down any time soon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wish I'd read this two years ago, 24 Mar 2014
This review is from: The Deep-sky Imaging Primer (Paperback)
I'd strongly recommend this book to anyone starting off down the dark and mysterious path of astro-imaging.
The book is as the title suggests, and had I read it before buying my scope and mount, I would definitely have chosen differently.
From the earliest days of digital photography, I have never understood the complex world of sensors, their sizes, pixels and photosites, but found that I needed a basic understanding of all this plus signal/noise ratios and the like to be able to take my astro-imaging further.
This book has given me this understanding - though he mathematical stuff is way beyond me - the examples and scenarios given more than compensate for my lack of mathematical knowledge.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Deep Sky Imaging Primer., 23 Jun 2014
This review is from: The Deep-sky Imaging Primer (Paperback)
The book does exactly what it says and a lot more. The layout is very easy to follow and the technical information is written in a clear and easy style which I found simple to follow.

I would recommend this book to anyone starting out with Astrophotography.

The Deep-sky Imaging Primer
The Deep-sky Imaging Primer by Charles Bracken (Paperback - 2 Feb 2013)
21.19