4.5 out of 5 stars1,407
Format: Paperback|Change

on 2 March 2013
Actual Rating 3.5

So despite my rating of 3.5 I rounded it up to a four because I really did enjoy the story. I am not that big on vampire books, I've had bad experiences with them. But the reason I chose to read and review this book was because from the summary it seemed as if the female lead was actually smart and knew how to make the right choices. When I started reading this though, I questioned that. In the end, I was glad I finished the book. It is a short read and isn't disappointing.

This book is written in dual POV, which I am happy to say works. Our female lead, Sofia, is a rather smart character. She may seem weak but she thinks things thoroughly, she questions things, like for example the prince's interest in her; not in the insecure way but with a morbid curiosity. She also tries to face the fear, she doesn't try to make it go away because she knows that is impossible but she stares at it in the face to let it know that it cannot weaken her. There is this one point in the beginning of the book where she asks Lucas rhetorical questions, like Why am I here? At first I almost head desked because really? That's too cliché, and then I read what Sophia had to say, she wants to ask questions to break the silence, to help keep her fear at bay or to at least cover it up. She also remains true to herself, she doesn't try to make herself believe otherwise, I mean even when she has revelations, it doesn't seem like she was lying to herself and then finally admitting to otherwise but more like learning things. The author mentions that she has OCD and ADHD, I wish that was looked into a bit further, I would have liked to see how things played out that way.

Derek is also a rather interesting male. He has an alpha male like quality to him, I am usually bothered by that (the exceptions being Barrons and Clayton) but I think she gives an interesting twist to his alpha maleness, he has this possessiveness to him but he doesn't always act on it, he tries to control it, so it seems kind of cute instead of creepy. Also I am also happy to say that Derek is true to himself. He ALSO questions what it is about Sophia that intrigues him. Also I like him for the fact that despite how much he cares for Sophia he isn't willing to send his brother to the dogs right away.

"Lucas was my brother and no matter how important Sofia had become to me, blood runs thicker than water"

Derek is a four hundred year old vampire, usually in other vampire books, vampires don't act their age (sadly), Derek doesn't either but that's because he isn't that old, he has been asleep for the past several hundred years (I am assuming around 300 or so). He did it to escape because he hates the pressure of the prophecy. He isn't afraid to admit that it was an escape. He says that even though he doesn't want to be a vampire, the thought of dying scares him because what if there is nothing, so to escape but not have to die, he goes into a magic induced slumber (like sleeping beauty).
The romance is rather interesting , there is an insta-love feeling to it but I wouldn't go ahead and mark it as an insta-love, but yeah. Like I mentioned before they both question Derek's interest in her but this is how Derek explains it:

"In my eyes, she was most beautiful because at a time when she had every right to be terrified, she managed to show comfort to another person who needed it"

Despite this interest and the jump start of their relationship, there is definitely some development. At first Sophia is confused by Derek and then slowly she begins to understand him and like him, they become good friends and then somewhere along the way their feelings for each other change. Derek is powerful and he is used to giving everybody commands, even with how he feels about Sophia this doesn't stop. He slowly realizes that even when he says that he believes humans and vampires are equal, he doesn't actually believe it because here he is, giving orders to Sophia, looking down on her. So he slowly changes that and starts asking her permission, etc.

There isn't much of a plot to this book. This book is more about an introduction to the world of "The Shade" and giving the series a direction. The book, however manages to stay intriguing. It didn't take long to finish. Once you get into it, it's rather face paced.

The one thing that bothered me from time to time was the descriptions, they got better throughout the book but right at the beginning sentences like these kind of disturbed me:

"My skin was tingling with every blow of the gentle summer breeze, the distinct scent of ocean salt filling my nostrils"

Of course not everyone will share the same opinion as me about this but this is my opinion.
Overall this book was a really fun read and I look forward to the sequel (which I have no idea about when it's releasing).
on 24 January 2016
This was a pile of drivel!

The Twilight wannabe that just couldn't.

The main character literally doesn't have a personality? And of course there was the insta-love. Broody McTortured, the hero, was obviously there.

And was there even a plot to this? Cause if there was, I couldn't find it amongst pitiful attempts to write a romance.

Save yourself the headache and steer clear!

DNF @ 45%
on 2 June 2016
Heard a lot about this book so I thought I'd give it a go. Must say I wasn't really impressed. Could have been a great story but feel it had been dulled down a bit due to the age group it's written for. Got a bit peeved about the whole 'one look at her and he had found the love of his life/saviour of his sole bla bla bla' plot which this story takes. It's rather lame and to be fair rather boring. Its a story trying to be up there with some of the bigger names but fails. A good read for teenagers but if you're after something that grips your soul and makes you NOT want to put the book down then I don't recommend it. Sorry.
on 18 August 2013
In my opinion this book may suit a much younger reader. I quickly became bored with the girl meets boy story line. I felt Derek the vampire had serious identity issues and the main characters were unconvincing and the story shallow. I won't be reading any more in the series. I feel there are some amazing Vampire, Shape shifter writers but Bella is not one of them yet.
on 2 August 2014
Can we say 'Stockholm syndrome'. This girl has no depth of character. Seriously? I like fantasy books and am pretty good at suspending reality, but nobody goes through the most terrifying event of their life to then snuggle down on the couch for a fun night of teaching your vampire captor how to use the TV. I found this book to be empty and painful to read. Even the relationship that Forrest was attempting to create with her human best friend seemed full of unnecessary angst and drama.
on 2 January 2013
I don't often write recommendations, but in this case I couldn't help myself.
After seeing all the positive reviews I was optimistic downloading this book. I couldn't have been more wrong. I found the book boring, lacking depth and below average.
The characters were either one-dimensional or cliche. I would not recommend this book.
on 8 July 2013
This book is definitely a recommended read! Had me gripped start to end . I think it balanced the right amount of love interest with action and can't. Wait to see what transpires between the brothers and Sofia ! Can't wait to read the rest of the series. Definitely one of the best vampire books I've read in a while !!!!!!!
on 12 June 2016
I was recommended to read this book, being a Twilight fan, from a Facebook page.
Here's a few things I would mention from my own opinion:
** No Spoilers**

-Front cover is lovely
-There isn't many typos (if any!) which is amazing, great editing!
-The actual story is great and really makes you want to keep reading (I think I only picked this book up 5/6 times before i had finished it, easy to get lost in this one, if you got hooked you could read it in a day easily.. I was just trying to savor it)
-This book is very fast paced, everything seems to happen very quickly which can be good or bad, depending on the reader
- I feel like if your someone who finds it difficult to get into a book (usually the first chapter is a bore in many books) then you wont have any difficulties here
-Because of the pace of the book i feel a lot of detail is lost, which is what I personally love about books such as Twilight
-Although the book is 286 pages long, the font is huge! If your used to Twilight books you will certainly notice the difference in font size and how little writing is on each page
-I really like the setting of the story, I think 'The Shade' is very fascinating
-Suitable for teens (There is mentions of love making, but this is done quite subtly)
-Personally I like to actually have a paper or hard back copy in my hands rather than read online or on kindles ect, so I do feel that the price is maybe a little too high considering the size and font of the book compared to others (such as Twilight)
-Overall I did love the story line and the characters
-Very excited to get the second book (already ordered) and see what happens with Derek and Sofia next!

I would recommend giving this book a go, if you love vampires and romance then I'm sure you will love this book!
on 30 January 2013
I very rarely leave a book but I can't finish this. The characters are ok but it just doesn't ever get going. If it's building up to something there is no sign of it at the halfway point. Buy something else.
on 6 October 2013
I bought this book purely for the vampire theme. Writing is amateur at best, plot very predictable. I couldn't get past a third of the book. This is definitely for teen readers.