4.0 out of 5 stars An excellent addition to any fly fishers library.
This is an excellent book on fly fishing the dry fly on North Country becks. I know many of the waters that he talks about and fished them in my youth. When he writes about fishing his touch is sure, his knowledge extensive and his views well worth listening to.
Published 13 months ago by Bill1

3.0 out of 5 stars Found it irritating but enjoyed
I cannot agree more with Richard123. I thought exactly the same about the style of writing, mainly the overuse of certain words and phrases. Lots of typos and formatting errors. Also, the calling of other anglers buffoons and fools for using different methods to his.

Published 4 months ago by Rammer

4.0 out of 5 stars An excellent addition to any fly fishers library., 28 Jun 2013
Bill1 (Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fly fishing on wild becks (Paperback)
I found some of his bucolic anecdotes heavy handed and uninteresting and in my view, by leaving them out he would have produced a slimmer but better book. Hence only four stars.

However, the fishing stuff is excellent and I would recommend this book wholeheartedly to any fly fisher whether they fish rivers or not.

5.0 out of 5 stars Delightful book - tells a very personal account of his approach and experience, 27 May 2014
This review is from: Fly fishing on wild becks (Paperback)
This is a very engaging account of one man's approach to fly fishing in North West England. Some of it is a bit idiosyncratic but that's fine and makes it all the more personal.
Not really a beginners 'how to' book but will appeal to anyone who has fished the streams and rivers of Cumbria.

3.0 out of 5 stars Found it irritating but enjoyed, 5 Mar 2014
This review is from: Fly fishing on wild becks (Paperback)

I also agree with Richard123 on his use of light tippets. On the rivers described in the book and for the flies he uses to fish with, 0.14mm line (approx 2.5lbs standard nylon, 4lbs double strength) is quite thin enough to deceive most fish, especially when Pat describes his ideal water levels and colour. I also think that a 6', 3 weight rod ridiculous for the stretches of the river Ribble, Hodder and Lune Pat fishes. He will have very little control over his line and fly drag. Looking at one of the photos in the book, the small rod would lead to the full/straight arm movement when casting.

However, I did enjoy about 3/4s of the book as it describes fishing the types of rivers I fish now. I also started my fly fishing on the river Hodder, at higher Hodder bridge, in the 70s when 13 years old. Dry fly was the norm for us in those days and catching on wet fly was a rare occurrence. To call dry fly fishing on these rivers a cult is elevating himself to to a level that just does not exist. I would say that most anglers I know, and that's quite a few, would all prefer to use dry fly as first option and often persist when other fly methods would work better.

I, like Pat, generally tie flies from observing naturals and his patterns are quite similar to mine. I would definitely drop the split wing approach as I did a number of years ago and migrate on to poly-post parachute flies, which are far more successful and easier to tie. Poly-post flies prove that wing colouration makes no difference as I have tested natural colours against hi-vis versions without noticing any difference in catch rates, even in the lowest, clearest water conditions.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolute joy to read., 5 Jan 2013
This review is from: Fly fishing on wild becks (Paperback)
Absolutely stunning detail encompassed with a passion for the sport. Pat Regans Book is a fantastic read for the novice and experienced fly fisher.
I personally felt the child like excitement grow with each new chapter as each tale from river and beck unfolded into a descriptive adventure.
If you love fly fishing and being at one in nature this book will engross you....... quite simply you will not want to put it down once you have started reading it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not impressed, 15 April 2013
This review is from: Fly fishing on wild becks (Paperback)
I cannot agree with the two others reviews. It is clear that in addition to becks, the author fishes on more substantial rivers such as the Lune and Ribble. Why then does he use a 6'1" rod on these? A longer rod would give one more control to achieve better drag free drifts. He absolutely castigates rods of 9' and above when many of us nowadays use rods of even 10' with light lines of 3 and 4 weights. He scoffs at lines of 4 and 5 weights, yet a 5 weight can be essential on places like the upper Deveron which holds big trout but can also be strewn with rocks...so this enables the quicker landing of trout with less chance of loss....this in my book qualifies as a beck, since in places where I fish it it can be narrower than Twiss certainly...and much narrower than Ribble/Hodder/Lune.

He as routine uses 2.5lb double strength tippet, yet several times in the book mentions not being able to apply too much pressure on a particular fish due to his light tippet. In my book you land any fish as quickly as possible and then get them back-they are not playthings-and upping your tippet strength should also be done when there may be the likelihood of you hooking substantial fish. There is little mention of varying tippet diameter to suit the size of fly though he does mention that thicker tippet's are needed for larger flies.

Most of his fly patterns use advanced split wing dry flies. Fine if he wants to use them, but these wings will be rendered tatty after one or two fish. To 99% of today's tiers' split wing dries are nothing more than a useful tying exercise. The reader is given no alternatives of better, more modern and easier to use synthetic materials than 'fur and feather'.There is no "well I use primaries and I like these. However the advantages are X, Y and Z but to some the disadvantages of A, B and C may outweigh these. There are other alternatives (which I don't use but many learned anglers do) such as cdc, deerhair, snowshore hair or for synthetics you may like to consider one of the poly yarns such as blah blah. Poly yarns are not for me but they do come in a variety of colours are robust, shed water well take floatant well" etc.etc. etc.

There are numerous typos, but nothing grated on my nerves more than his overuse of the words 'herein, therein and wherein'. Coincidentally a friend who had read the book unbeknown to me was similarly irritated by this and was able to use his Kindle to do a word count and came up with 32 uses of these words in total. Trust me, when you read it the word count seems a lot more than this!!

Some of the information had me shaking my head in disbelief-but one stood out for me in particular. On p178 he says "It's quite surprising too how one comes to learn the subtle differences between the sounds of fish taking say Golden Spinners as opposed to the larger Sherry Spinners. Again, the hefty crashes of the trout hitting the pertinent flies gives one's hearing as much information about what size of pattern to tie on." This is just badly edited and the second sentence should be in a new paragraph. However the first sentence by itself is just plain wrong-you cannot tell whether a trout is taking a size 16 or 18 spent fly by the sound of it's rise form which will depend on the size of trout for one thing!

I could go on and one about this book on the 'mysterious art of the dry fly' (what!??). If you have a few years under your belt then you can take it for what it is....but for novices/beginners, hoping to glean useful information about dry fly fishing, much of the information is just one man's view of how things should or should not be done. There are many more books where one can get a more rounded viewpoint than within these pages.

My biggest criticism however is that the authors way is the right way and he has a manner about his writing which makes you think that anything else is for unknowledgeable buffoons who he seems to almost delight in laughing at (not that he says this I hasten to add)...or that is what it comes across like. I know some very competent guys out there who are extremely good fly fishers. One close friend is the most paranoid about scaring fish than anyone I know...yet he uses 9' and 10' rods. Most folk do these days and that doesn't make us all right-but it also does not mean that anyone who does use these goes around scaring fish willy nilly. This is a ridiculous attitude!!

My own preferred rivers have a low density of large wild trout usually. I cast to those that I see feeding and am not in the habit of 'scaring trout' that I have not seen. It is offensive to suggest that anyone who uses such equipment is not as clever or good as Mr Regan!

I should point out here that I fish a lot of dry fly and that given one method, this would be it for me too, though I also sometimes fish spiders and on the odd occasion, nymphs. I should also point out that I have absolutely nothing to do with the tackle trade and shell out my hard earned cash like everyone else!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!!!, 7 May 2013
This review is from: Fly fishing on wild becks (Paperback)
I bought this book as a new starter to fly fishing. Had a read before I cast my 1st line and it helped me feel that I was going in with a bit of knowledge. Been at it a few months now and the book is also proving useful to go back to for hints and tips. Would really recommend this to anyone who is thinking about starting..........I'd also recommend it to the seasoned fly fishers as pat really goes into detail on his techniques. A really good read!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 18 April 2013
This review is from: Fly fishing on wild becks (Paperback)
Very interesting, well explained, could picture the events clearly in my mind and couldn't put it down. Perfect for fishermen

5.0 out of 5 stars fly fishing on wild becks, 1 Jan 2013
This review is from: Fly fishing on wild becks (Paperback)
just finished reading this over the Christmas period, and it made me long for the warm summer days, and the peaceful wild streams. As an avid dry fly fisher, I can relate to much of the excellent information contained in this book.
Plenty of information for the novice as well as the more experienced fisherman.
Written in a freindly, easy going style, I found it difficult to put down.
A treat for the dedicated dry fly fisherman!

Fly fishing on wild becks
Fly fishing on wild becks by Mr Pat Regan (Paperback - 13 Dec 2012)
5.28