4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable quick read, 28 Mar. 2014
This review is from: In the Cage (Kindle Edition)
The first Henry James novel I have read. Unusually the heroine is not named throughout the book. She is a working class girl who handles the telegram messages from the upper class people who do not realise that she is able to piece together their whole lives over time and is privy to all their secrets. I think James made her anonymous on purpose to prove a point. She becomes fixated on the illicit affair of one couple in particular and even makes herself known to them, even delaying her impending marriage for the vicarious thrill of being slightly involved in the affair.
It is a novel that explores the ramifications on Victorian society of new technology: Private messages that used to be sent by letter between one person and another are now handled by several nameless people of lower rank.
This is something we have now grown used to without thinking: our emails and web browsing are all logged and watched.
I think it is great that the technology of ebooks are bringing all these forgotten 19th century novels back into modern readership. They have much to teach us.

5.0 out of 5 stars Intriging, 18 Jan. 2013
This review is from: In the Cage (Kindle Edition)
He produced some interesting tales that makes you think and can keep you intrigued. What wil happen next and how will it end

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent quality., 11 Feb. 2013
This review is from: In the Cage (Paperback)
The book that I received from this order was completely exact with that which had been described when I made the order.

4.0 out of 5 stars Bought For My Daughter's Uni Course, 28 Aug. 2013
I haven't read this book - sorry. But my daughter was delighted I bought it for her Uni course :)

In the Cage
In the Cage by Henry James (Paperback - 11 Dec. 2012)