on 19 December 2012
This Character Sketchbook is a full 70 page history of design for the keen Brackenwood Collector. There is a brilliant amount of drawings in there to keep you interested, inspired and ready to see more. It looks as if there has been a lot of effort put into finding those hidden sketchy treasures in lost places just for this book.
There is a variation of character design ideas sketched down as well as movement experiences for the animations themselves. These are the most exciting, even in the static poses we can see by the sketchyness that the animation is already in the mind of the artist.
Some of my favourite art in the book comes from storyboard-like poses drawn for scenes in the films.
My only changes would be that some of the designs could have had some side notes for the reader, I do enjoy the notes based on prowlie designs towards the end.
The other change would be there being little modern character designs like the new designed Lemonee Wee.

Other than that this is exactly what I was looking for. Seeing the character designs leading up to some exciting stances is really all you need, there is so much life in every drawing.
Like the animator behind the book, the artwork turns the pages like a moving picture.