4.0 out of 5 stars Lose yourself in Tigh na Linne
Following the death of her beloved aunt, Ruth returns to 'Tigh na Linne', the house on Skye where she spent her childhood summers. Having already lost her partner and father that year, Ruth is there to grieve, and to decide what to do with her life next. She's reunited with a childhood friend, and confronted with memories. She may also be confronted by a ghost...
Published on 3 Jun. 2012 by Michelle Moore

3.0 out of 5 stars Rather unbelievable story
I kept trying to read this book, going onto another and finally have finished it. Like several other reviewers I found having sex with a ghost just unbelievable and not really relevant to the story. Was Ruth so desperate she had to bed the ghost? Get real!

Published 10 months ago by Polly

‹ Previous | 1 2 312 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Read!, 5 Jun. 2012
Mary (Hampshire, UK) - See all my reviews
Nothing to add to the previous reviewers comments other than to say I thoroughly enjoyed reading Linda's latest book. I was gripped right from the start and couldn't leave it for a minute hence I read it in just a day. Thank heavens we had no major Jubilee celebrations yesterday! Who was my favourite hero? I couldn't decide but you need to read it yourself to get wrapped up in the plot and then make your choice. Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent read, 31 Jan. 2013
This review is from: The Glass Guardian (Paperback)
This is a great book. A little shorter than i am used to but this is no bad thing- it just means the author didn't waffle unnecessarily. It is engaging from the start an the story is interesting-an inherited old house, a ghost and a story from the past to be revealed. The characters are likeable too which is always a bonus. I thought i had the ending sussed early on but as the story progressed it took a different turn and although I wasnt left too surprised at the end, I was left totally satisfied.
If you like authors like Rachel Hore, Kate Morton and Lucinda Riley- treat yourself to this one!

3.0 out of 5 stars Rather unbelievable story, 12 July 2014

Forgetting that for a moment, the actual story of Janet and her music would have made a good tale in itself. The plot itself was good and am sure Ms Gillard could have written it as a straight forward mystery. Ruth was so mixed up she didn't know whether she was coming or going. The number of times she kept changing her mind as to whether to return to London was unbelievable especially bearing in mind there was deep snow outside. The ending was just too 'chocolate boxy' for me. I do like happy endings but this was rather slushy.

Looking at the negative comments I've just written perhaps someone is thinking why have I given it three stars. Well it is due to the fact that the actual story was interesting and I wanted to see what eventually happened. I just wish the author had approached it in a different way.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another terrific page turner from Linda Gillard..., 1 Mar. 2015
Goodreads lets you give 4 stars and 'really like' a book but here on Amazon four stars is just a 'like' and I more than like this book - it is a terrific read - so 5 stars from me on here .It is the third book I have read by Linda Gillard and once again her story telling skills are to the fore - this rattles along at a pace and is a real page-turner. I had to stay up to finish it as although aspects of the story can be predicted, Linda is master of the twist and the surprise and keeps you guessing right to the end.

This isn't a ghost story in the strictest sense - the ghost is too real a character and his relationship with Ruth, the narrator, is intense and solid. Characters in Linda's books always behave like real people - making flawed decisions, behaving rashly but 'in the moment'. It is a fantasy, a love story of many layers and vividly portrays the ways in which grief and bereavement affect us. Great stuff.

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't Put It Down!, 3 Jun. 2012
Some books are just perfect for a rainy Sunday afternoon curled up in an armchair with a mug of tea. 'The Glass Guardian', the latest from Linda Gillard (whose previous books I have read and loved without exception), is one of them. But it's not just a light-hearted read; I found this book both thought-provoking and strangely comforting. I ended up reading it from cover to cover (well, metaphorically, on my Kindle) in a single sitting as I couldn't bear to put it down for more than a few moments.

The Glass Guardian deals to some extent with themes of loss and the dark roads that life sometimes leads us down. Yet it isn't a depressing book, rather the contrary. It has a strong focus on the importance of friends and loved ones in combatting loneliness, not forgetting of course the healing powers of love in its many guises. Ruth is a woman in her early 40s, who has inherited a dilapidated house in a beautiful setting on the Isle of Skye. She spends time there while she decides what to do about the house, delving into the history of Tigh na Linne ('the house by the pool') as well as learning more about her aunt and other family members who used to call it home.

It's a difficult book to review without giving away hints of the plot, which would be unforgivable. So suffice to say that I would recommend this to anyone who enjoys a good read, whether you think you're a fan of 'supernatural' stories or not. In fact I often stay clear of books with that label, but this is by no means typical of the genre, and in my opinion completely transcends the stereotype.

The Glass Guardian made me want to visit Skye and see the amazing backdrop of this book for myself. Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars A ghost, a great love, a family mystery and an irresistible read, 2 Jan. 2014
This review is from: The Glass Guardian (Paperback)
I just adored this. It's been a while since I've been so thoroughly pulled into a story that I hated to tear myself away from, and didn't want to see end. Gillard displays an impressive mastery of all the elements that go into fantastic storytelling: a thoroughly engrossing plot; characters that leap off the page; believable, tone-perfect dialogue; and a strong narrative voice that connects it all. Before long, you are so deeply drawn in to the story and the dramatic Isle of Skye setting that whatever is going on around you gets dialed down to a barely discernible buzz. Yes, it a ghost story of sorts, but a lovely one rather than a terrifying one, and the author's skill makes the suspension of disbelief an easy pleasure. To paraphrase one of the main characters, allow yourself to believe in impossible things, and there will be wonders.

5.0 out of 5 stars A log fire and red wine kind of read, 4 Dec. 2014
Anne Stormont - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Glass Guardian (Paperback)
I've just finished this book. I really enjoyed it. A mark of my enjoyment is that I read it in 3 bedtime readings - rare for me - I'm a slow reader who often falls asleep whilst reading. Not with this novel.

Now, yes it's a mite unbelievable, like other reviewers have said - but it's a ghost story, people! Suspend your disbelief and just go with it. It's a cracking story with an original take and yes, a surprising level of ghost to human interaction.

This is a fireside and red wine (or cosy in bed) read. It's got a scenic setting, mystery and lots of romance. What's not to like?

5.0 out of 5 stars Never disappoints, 28 May 2013
This review is from: The Glass Guardian (Paperback)
You are always guaranteed and good read when Linda writes and this one didn't disappoint. I wasn't sure about a 'paranormal romance' and how it could possibly work but it did although some of the detail had me thinking it a bit strange, then I remembered it was only fiction!

As always there is a mixture of characters, non of them perfect and all have their history. Ruth with her recent grief to contend with and finding herself the owner of her Aunt Janet's huge old house on Skye (I would love to visit it). Although on her own she senses another presence in the house. Ruth develops a relationship with 'Heckie' and finds out their connection through the 'glass'. Tom an old friend from her past, it would appear wants more than just to be her friend (he annoyed me a little, not sure why), but has his own demons from the past to deal with. Stan, the Canadian who wants to pursue the music of her Aunt Janet and write a book. Can she be bothered with trying to help with this, when she is so taken with 'Heckie' and wants the house and him all to herself? But it is 'Heckie' who she becomes obsessed with. How can she fall in love with a ghost from 100 years ago?

I liked all the themes of love, grief, friendships and a touch of music and family history. The whole story is brought tidily to a conclusion (with a wee bit of a twist)and I wasn't disappointed with it. My favourite character was undoubtedly the handsome 'Heckie'. I always like how the heroine in Linda's writing is a little bit older! Also that each of her books are different and if you haven't ready any of them urge you to go find another one to read. (I think my favourite is still Emotional Geology.) Although I have to say there always seems to be snow and sometimes Christmas mentioned.

As with Linda's other books you are swept away with the surroundings described in such detail you wish you were there. I always love the Scottishness about them (and makes me proud to be Scottish). I am always left wanting to find and visit where I have just read about. I really do/should visit Skye.

5.0 out of 5 stars An unexpected treat!, 6 Aug. 2014
Dea49 (Southampton UK) - See all my reviews
I had recently read the excellent 'Cauldstane' by the same author, so decided to try this one too. I absolutely loved it, the author is an excellent story teller and had me hooked from beginning to end. The story is haunting and at times quite brave - without giving away the plot, the decision the author made could have been disastrous, but she carried it off with real style. I can't recommend it highly enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars amazingly beautiful, 22 Feb. 2015
This is such an amazingly beautifully written book. I feel the author has been touched by these feelings herself to be able to write about them in this way.
When we come to the part where Ruth is again in danger (don't want to give away storylines here) I truly cried with Ruth's emotional feelings as though they were my own.
I truly recommend anyone to read this book.

‹ Previous | 1 2 312 | Next ›

The Glass Guardian
The Glass Guardian by Linda Gillard (Paperback - 21 Dec. 2012)