4.0 out of 5 stars WORDPRESS TO GO
I got introduced to wordpress by an adventure when I was looking into ways of building my own website without using a web designer. I started to build the site, but it was looking like that of an amateur, as I could not use/edit most of the dashboard functions. This then made me to look for a wordpress book on Amazon. I bought the first book "24-hour Wordpress...
Published 17 months ago by Esther

3.0 out of 5 stars A great starter to Wordpress but........
First of all let me agree with most other reviewers and compliment Sarah on producing this well-written and easy to follow short book on WordPress. Like most novices, I'd read that WP is the flexible future if I wanted to produce my own website without going to Geekdom and back and needing to learn and write in code. Before buying her download, I'd spent fuddled days...
Published on 21 July 2012 by MeDo

5.0 out of 5 stars WordPress To Go: How To Build A WordPress Website On Your Own Domain, 23 Feb 2014
Mr. K. R. Paterson (Newmarket, Suffolk United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: WordPress To Go: How To Build A WordPress Website On Your Own Domain, From Scratch, Even If You Are A Complete Beginner (Paperback)
WordPress To Go: How To Build A WordPress Website On Your Own Domain, This book arrived rapidly and appears to be well written

4.0 out of 5 stars Crystal clear, 21 Feb 2014
PatsyT (London United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I've created three websites/blogs on Wordpress and every single time I seem to come up against new problems - either because I have a short memory or because they are changing the goalposts. Having bought Sarah McHarry's book I have managed to find a solution to virtually all these problems and I can't thank her enough. I didn't follow her tips on hosting, or on downloading the Wordpress software as I'd already established other sites on Wordpress, which seemed to me cheaper and simpler (though I may well be wrong), but otherwise, all you need to know about how to create pages and posts, and what the difference is, is here. I don't find Wordpress particularly intuitive but it's a 100 times easier now I have this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for the newbie, 13 Nov 2013
If like me you know next to nothing about web design this is the perfect starting point.
Using this and some comments on Digital Ocean my website was up and running in just a few hours.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great content but already a little out of date., 9 Oct 2013
Concise and purposeful, this is a really easy book to read and understand. The only problem is Wordpress (like everything else) is evolving. If you're prepared to work the odd thing out for yourself however it's still probably better than anything else out there.

4.0 out of 5 stars Gem of a book but missing index, 7 Aug 2013
This book is great value and gets you results quickly. It does not pretend to cover advanced topics only the basics and does that well. I drop one star because the illustrations are too small and the book lacks an index. I also had a lot of difficulty with Lesson 13 which seems to suggest you can discard the default Home Page and nominate another page to be your Home Page. I tried this but it never worked properly, there were always unwanted side-effects. The solution was to uncheck this box: Appearance -> Theme Options -> Home Page -> Enable Custom Front Page. Once that was unchecked I could customize the default Home Page to what I wanted so there was no need to remove it and substitute another in its place. It's a dubious idea anyway because I read somewhere that the default Home Page is tied into the php code. So if the author could improve Lesson 13 that would be great. In Lesson 14 almost a page is wasted on only describing child themes when in the same space an example could have shown us how to actually do something useful such as override some css to change the look of a page. But in spite of these minor issues the book is still a gem.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book, 20 July 2013
I am in the process of setting up my first site, using WordPress and a domain for the first time. I found this book easy to read and work through and would definitely recommend it to anyone who is starting out.

The book is for beginners and does a good job of taking you through the steps in a simple and clear way, I have gone from having not used WordPress to having a basic site up and running by simply working through the chapters/lessons. This book won't make you a WordPress expert, it will allow you to create a functioning basic site, and that may be all that you require.

It has set the foundations for me and I really do hope that Sarah writes another book to cover the next advance level.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really helpful tutorial, 1 Jun 2013
As a complete novice I found this tutorial to be an honest and straightforward guide which has helped me to create my first website. It is a really good start and I look forward to building on my skills, and continuing to improve. Ms McHarry also very helpfully points you in the right direction if you want to go on learning by leaving you with links and information on further resources. Definitely recommend this to other novices.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little book, 7 Mar 2013
Great for the absolute beginner and very useful for people who have already dabbled in WordPress. For the money excellent value.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great help, 11 Jan 2013
M. Swift - See all my reviews
I wanted an easy introduction and this fitted the bill. Well written and simple. would recommend it to my friends.

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful even if you know code, 29 July 2012
I come from a background of html, css and php, but have limited experience of Wordpress or any other content management. So this was a great introduction for me, untried as yet but I'm looking forward to getting started. Sarah has answered many niggling questions which the Wordpress documentation is too complex to explain clearly. Perhaps there should be a section for people whose host does not provide a Quickinstall or Fantastico button, to make the book even more relevant? and page order is indeed an issue but I assume I can figure that one out myself. I'm pleased with my purchase and would recommend it to others.