Getting the first book of a series free is always a good way to get someone hooked, obviously this only works if the book is good. In this case it really worked. Finished it this morning on my way to work and have already ordered the next and have it waiting on my kindle for my journey home.

This book is well written and you actually start to have an interest...
Published 13 months ago by Mike Lloyd

3.0 out of 5 stars Worth a read.
Published 24 months ago by Forever Red

3.0 out of 5 stars Worth a read., 8 Aug. 2013
I purchased this book as it was free and while it never really got going, as my title suggests, it's worth a read. It's not action packed, no epic battles or amazing feats of magic. The main character is not even that likable. It's just a good solid fantasy, which strangely draws you in. So if your hunting around for something to read you could do a lot worse than this book. Will definitely be getting the next book in the series...when I'm hunting around for something to read!

3.0 out of 5 stars An enjoyable fantasy, 20 Aug. 2013
I. Fenton "Felinewyvern" (Cardiff, Wales) - See all my reviews
To quote the blurb "she struggles to master the inherent magic of her dying race" and "will her discovery of an enchanted bow prove to be Ilan's final salvation or her ultimate downfall?" So you would expect to read a lot about managing magic and an enchanted bow. Don't! There is very little mention of magic in this and the enchanted bow only turns up near the end of the story! This rather spoiled what was otherwise a pleasant fantasy story for me.

4.0 out of 5 stars Getting the first book of a series free is always a good way to get someone hooked., 11 Jun. 2014

This book is well written and you actually start to have an interest in what happens to the characters which is always a sign of a well written book, too many times I have read a book and feel like I am just going through the motions but that hasn’t been the case with this series so far, I have high hopes for book 2.

3.0 out of 5 stars Magic of Thieves, 19 Jan. 2014
I am struggling a bit to find the words I want to review this book. As the first book in a series, I expected a lot of groundwork to be laid down, such as descriptions of the various major places, the history of the people, the rulers etc. To be fair, there was some of this but not anywhere near as much as I thought there would be. The synopsis almost sounds like it's for a full book but this novella was cut in half. The enchanted bow was mentioned briefly in the prologue at the beginning and during the last chapter... and that's it. You presume it's enchanted because it glows and Ilan thinks she can hear voices in her head when she's holding it but apart from that, you know nothing about it or if Ilan can use it. So just how it's supposed to be her final salvation or ultimate downfall in this novella, I'm not quite sure.

The characters themselves are written fairly well but there are quite a few gaps in the story, even in the character development. The main characters, especially Rideon, could have done with a bit more filling out. For example, everyone in the camp accepts Rideon's word as law but nothing is mentioned about why. He forces Ilan and Terrac to fight until one is knocked down. Ilan wins that one but then is beaten by Rideon. Why? And why does that turn her into Rideon's "boot-licker" as she gets called by Kipp, one of her companions. Also, why was there a purge of the magickers? None of this was explained and it has raised questions in my mind. I would like to get the following books in the series as this has piqued my interest enough to want to know where it will take me.

This is a series with a lot of unanswered questions but which also shows a lot of promise. One to look out for.

3.0 out of 5 stars Mediocrity here, 6 July 2015
The length of a book should not be judged as its quality, if that were the case then Philip K Dick would be a poor writer indeed. What matters is the quality of the story and its characters. Sadly though, in this case the story isn't particularly engaging nor are the chrtacters very likeable.

Ilan was a young girl when she witnessed her parents murder at the hands of the anti magic Praetor. She gets passed to a family friend who bundles her off to an old man who was to take her away to safety. However the wagon she is riding on gets waylaid by bandits and she spends her life living with the outlaws.

She has fierce loyalty to the outlaws though I struggle to understand why since she was effectivly kidnapped by them and when the young priest boy is also taken captive she is unrelentingly mean to him when he questions his captors motives!

Ilan is not a likeable character, and for a main character is worrying. She is fickle and full of angst and it put me off reading the rest of the series. She may grow into a fantastically deep and complex character as the series progresses but I don't want to invest my time into finding out.

The book isn't bad despite this, its just not terribly good. Its harmless, average fantasy. But if your after sprawling worlds with a sense of wonder, adventure and excitement look elswhere. I wanted this too be great, I really did but it just never got going for me.

4.0 out of 5 stars Well written but a little generic, 13 Mar. 2013
So a young child with magic has her family torn from her. She is then sent away by the family she then lives with to be with others of her race but this doesn't happen as her companion is killed by outlaws and she ends up with them. There then follows a fairly generic growing up amongst thieves tale where nothing particularly bad happens to her. A captured, would be priest, teaches her how to read and write. A thief teaches her how to fight and she doesn't really learn how to use her magic but she is told by another priest that he will teach her if she comes to him in the future.

This book which starts with the death of both of the heroine's parents is nowhere near as gritty as you would expect from such an aggressive start. Growing up as a girl amongst a lot of male outlaws doesn't incur the penalties you would expect and her personal development is very slow. I assume much of this is because the author wants you to buy more books and see more development. It is a book that does draw you in to the life of this young girl but always at the back of your mind there is the thought that in reality her life would be nothing like this.

The magic in this book is not well defined but that may well be the theme of later books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Magic of thieves c. Greenwood, 26 Feb. 2013
Debbie (Nottingham UK) - See all my reviews
Great book!! Fantasy, magic and some outlaws living in the woods. Well written story that made .e buy the next book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Expected more., 26 Jun. 2013
Enjoyed the book but I found it a little slow in getting going. Although I have bought the complete series. On book two and it is better.

4.0 out of 5 stars Hard to put down, 30 Dec. 2013
This book is well written but too short and lacking in a fulfilling ending, to be considered a book in its own right. Books 2 & 3 are also short and cost money... So really you should think of them as one book and work out the total cost before purchase. However this first part is engaging. I do tho have a few issues with it. The main character is described as having pointed ears but this is never explained nor even described as odd or normal. Is she an elf? Is everyone else an elf? Who knows. Also there is some cruelty to horses that seems unimportant to the story. If you're going to hurt or kill something it should have a significant affect on the plot. Another thing I don't get is near the end how readily without proof everyone believes her tale.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, although flawed., 26 Aug. 2013
This book has a story which held my interest; even when I felt like I was getting bored in a couple of places I was caught back up in it and kept on going. Not only did I reach the end, but having got this one for free I will buy the next in the series. But even so, there is a lack of depth, not just to the characters but to the world itself. It feels like the details of the environment are made up on the spot. And as for the gang of thieves, they just don't ring true. They all speak very politely, and not one even has so much as a drinking problem. And where are the other women, the camp followers and female thieves? That said, the story itself was good enough to make me want to try part two, and that is really the bottom line.

Magic of Thieves
Magic of Thieves by C. Greenwood (Paperback - 13 Dec. 2012)