‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read., 20 Feb 2014
Mr. L. Knight (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: In and out of the Lion's Den: poverty, war and football (Paperback)
I have just returned from a 5 day trip to Rome, I took this book with me to read. I have to say that I couldn't put it down, during the day we were out seeing the sights of Rome, it was absolutely brilliant to come back to the Hotel knowing that I had such a good book to pick up again. I am a football fan & I was born 2 streets away from where John Shepherd was born, it was fascinating reading about the area which I grew up in, in such vivid detail, I remember a lot of what the area was like as I was born in 1948.
The other aspect of this book which I found very enlightening was Julie Ryans Grandfathers recollections of the Spanish Civil War, I was never taught anything about this at school, & this book reminded me of the struggles that the Spanish people & sympathisers went through, maybe this should be introduced into schools in this day & age.
I highly recommend this book to all people who like a good read, hope you enjoy it as much as I have.

5.0 out of 5 stars In and out of the Lion's Den: poverty,war,and football, 1 Feb 2014
A really enlightening book. I am so pleased that I own a copy. It brought back so many fond memories about the area of your fathers youth, and also taught me a lot about the Spanish Civil War, of which I knew very little. Thank you for giving me a great read Julie, your father I am sure is very proud of your achievement. Tishy Kensal Town

5.0 out of 5 stars In and out of the Lion's Den: poverty, war and football., 31 Jan 2014
An inspiring book which I found difficult to put down. I hope one day it will be recognised by a film producer.

5.0 out of 5 stars In & Out of Lions Den, 29 Sep 2013
S. Brand "pigs rule!" (Essex, UK) - See all my reviews
Bought this book for my husband who is an ex Millwall player, who knows John Shepherd and Julie Ryan and found the book fascinating and a thoroughly good read. Highly recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Football/History Book with all the drama of a TV mini series., 20 Jun 2013
M. P. Jones (UK) - See all my reviews
Having a love of both Sports Biographies and History thought I would give this a whirl especially as the man is also a Brighton Legend. What a fantastic book!!
FOOTBALL was covered with detail to keep the "stato." happy while the Social History and smell of the terraces also jumped off the page.
THE SPANISH CIVIL WAR is an area where I have read a number of dedicated books. This book managed to break down its key elements to inform and support this heartrending and miraculous (the death rate in this war was huge) story without slowing it down. Again the story was a fantastic social History.
I nearly gave it only four stars because John Shepherd is wearing a Millwall strip on the cover! However take heart Brighton supporters as an old pot of tippex is all that is needed to add the stripes needed to gain the full five stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Fantastic Story, 22 Mar 2013
This book is well written and it means so much to my family and I. We were brought up in North Kensington W10 and knew John Shepherd and his family. We would like to thank Julie Ryan for writing this very interesting book and bringing back a few memories.

5.0 out of 5 stars In and out of the lions den, 19 Mar 2013
This book is superb although I am slightly biased as i lived in London through the blitz (evacuated twice) and am an ardent Gillingham supporter.
It seems like I am reading my own life story but I could never write it as well as Julie Ryan has done for her father.
Humerous,very sad in places especially in the section of the book relating to the Spanish civil war (but Julie is very fair to both sides in that awful conflict despite the effect it had on her grandparents) and I can still remember my own father telling me about the time the Royal Navy took many refugees out of Barcelona to the relative safety of the Ballearic Islands.
Also I remember the sad story of Jeff Hall as well and if my memory serves me right we all stopped going to swimming pools as it was thought then that it was a likely source of polio.
Sorry to digress but returning to the book it is a fitting and well detailed tribute to John an excellent footballer and family man and although I have not quite finished the book yet I have enyoyed every page even if the print is a bit on the small side.
Do another book Julie ,you are a natural.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent book, 14 Mar 2013
A lot of the story in the book takes place in North Kensington , where i was born so it was very insightfull and informative

5.0 out of 5 stars Back to the good old days, 4 Feb 2013
A fabulous insight into the past of professional footballer John Shepherd. This is a well thought out and extemely well wrtten book highlighting when football was played for sport, not money. A journey back in time to how life in London used to be and the dramatic life of a footballer who beat the odds. If you are a proper football fan, this book is a must for your collection. Excellent!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 2 Feb 2013
A wonderfully written story that any football fan would enjoy. Great anecdotes that show just how different the beautiful game used to be! Highly recommend.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

In and out of the Lion's Den: poverty, war and football
In and out of the Lion's Den: poverty, war and football by Julie Ryan (Paperback - 31 Jan 2013)