5.0 out of 5 stars Best read this summer.
I'm a big LHOTP fan and I very much enjoyed hearing Melissa's story about growing up as a child star on set of the best western show out.
Published 21 months ago by Pen Name

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing
Published on 12 Jan. 2012 by Heddybell

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 12 Jan. 2012
This review is from: The Way I See it (Hardcover)
I have just finished Melissa Sue Anderson's book, 'The Way I See It' after reading Melissa Gilbert's & Alison Arngrims. I was very disappointed, as most of it is the re-telling of many of the different episodes. Why on earth Melissa would you want to put that in your book? It is about you that we want to read, your many thoughts & experiences re your time spent on The Little House On The Prairie. Yes - there was a smattering of that, but very little. I certainly don't feel I know any more about you than before I picked up the book. Don't get me wrong - I wasn't looking for any dirt dished on any of your LHOTP colleagues - in fact, I take my hat of to you to not miscall both Melissa Gilbert & Alison Arngrim, the way they have done to you, in their books, especially the latter, which I thought was quite mean on her part. I would love to have read so much more about your time spent on the set & with your LHOTP family rather than you re-telling us, the reader, about various episodes. In fact, I am making my way through watching all the episodes once more, having first seen them when they were shown on televison many years ago and, naturally, have forgotten what happens in the majority of them. On coming across yet another chapter of you describing what happens in a particular episode I had to stop reading so as not to spoil the plot for me when I do come across that episode. All in all, I basically had to speed read your book to avoid this as there are pages and pages describing episodes. Not a good read for me, personally, I'm afraid Melissa. One thing though - your book is mostly about LHOTP, unlike Melissa Gilbert's whose book, although a good read, then goes on to tell us far too much about her personal life (and in too much explicit detail) outwith the programme after she had left it. For me - reading the three girls books - I wanted to read about their time & experiences on LHOTP. I guess though you can't please all of the people all of the time! However, I would like to add that I am delighted that you have found yourself a soul-mate in your husband, Mike, and have two beautiful children. You were a superb 'Mary' in LHOTP, an ideal big sister, and I thoroughy enjoy watching you in these.

3.0 out of 5 stars Surprised and disappointed, 19 May 2012
This review is from: The Way I See it (Hardcover)
I was eagerly waiting for this book mainly because I have been revisiting LHOP and immersing myself in a much nicer time. The programme was amazing, and was hoping to get some insights on what it was like on set, how the actors were etc. However, when I started reading it, well....it was disappointing. There were only a few photographs, and the whole book read like like a synopsis of every episode.

There was nothing about Melissa's relationships with her cast members. How she felt about being "married" off at an early age, as a young girl sharing a bed with a strange man. The blindness was touched on, as was noted that Melissa was worried about her beautifully manicured nails on her "wedding day". Zilch about her friendships with Melissa Gilbert and the other cast members. Nothing really. The stuff written, I could have found on wiki or any other fan site. Still, what photographs there are, are lovely, and it will be a welcome addition to my shelf.

1.0 out of 5 stars very disappointing, 23 Oct. 2012
This was really a synopsis of the episodes of LHOP - it really gave me no insight of the woman behind the book and was really more factual than emotional. I was expecting a lot more.

3.0 out of 5 stars FRUSTRATING, 2 May 2012
HAYLING BOOK & MUSIC VENUE (follow us on Face... (26 Rails Lane Hayling Island) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Way I See it (Hardcover)
I am a rare male fan of LHOTP and love the show.

I read Allison Arngrim's book about her role as Nellie and loved it - so well written.

Going into this book, I was expecting so much more, but much to my deep frustration, Melissa has chosen to regurgitate every episode she was in - complete with plots and some of the scripts. It makes it such hard work and I found myself skimming over the plots to find anything of interest that I didn't already know.

When you do reach the facts about life on the series, they are actually very interesting and at times enlightening. Melissa clearly had a closer friendship with Landon than other cast members, making the relevant parts of the book very interesting.

It's all such a shame really - here is the makings of a cracking good book. It is almost as if Melissa needs to sit down and re-write it, cutting out the rambling descriptions of the plots, which as fans, we are familiar with and getting into the 'nitty gritty'.

2.0 out of 5 stars Boring, 10 Jan. 2014
This review is from: The Way I See it (Hardcover)
Was really excited when this book was finally delivered,I just could not wait to start reading it.as I was reading it,it became obvious that it was just all about the lhotp.there was not that much on her to be honest.
I was practically skipping most of the pages as I knew all about every episode already.
Very disappointing reading.I shall now think about buying Melissa Gilberts book,as it sounds like it is much more interesting reading.totally let down on this one.

2.0 out of 5 stars Pretty boring, 23 Jan. 2014
While part of this book were interesting , it was really a sypnosis on individual episodes , well not even a sypnosis as these are usually short , I found myself flicking through page after page of a description and storyline line of episodes which I had already seen . If you want to know about life on the Prairie read Alison Arngrim's book ( Nellie Olsen ) that was excellent. I ignored the previous reviews on Mellissa's book should have listened they were spot on.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best read this summer., 26 July 2013

3.0 out of 5 stars Worth reading if you are a fan of the show, 24 Jun. 2014
Adam L. (Lancashire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Way I See it (Hardcover)
Having been a lifelong fan of the TV Series "Little House on the Prairie", I was very much looking forward to this book. Melissa Anderson did a fantastic job on the show (as indeed did the other actors), and I was looking forward to hearing her story.

Unfortunately, the book contains little personal opinion or reflections, and only a few anecdotes about Melissa's childhood and relationships with her fellow actors. Instead, quite a bit of the book is devoted to plot summaries of specific episodes. I'm not sure why she decided to write the book in this way. Perhaps she does not like giving away intimate details of her life, or perhaps she was trying to protect her family from intrusion. In any case, the result is a book that is worth a read, but isn't particularly gripping. It's a real pity. I think she could have done better.

2.0 out of 5 stars Just like all the other reviews it was like reading instructions ..., 11 Oct. 2014
This review is from: The Way I See it (Hardcover)
Just like all the other reviews it was like reading instructions to open a tin. The best thing about it was she mentioned other lesser known actors ie Todd Bridges so props to her but we need Melissa to do a part two with all the warts n all

2.0 out of 5 stars Expected more, 20 April 2014
I thought this book would give us some insight into the author's thoughts about the real Ingalls family and also her 'TV family', but most of the book was merely a description of what happened in the various episodes. Pity.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Way I See It: A Look Back at My Life on Little House
The Way I See It: A Look Back at My Life on Little House by Melissa Anderson (MP3 CD - 3 Dec. 2013)