Format: Audio CD|Change

on 1 January 2013
... is cheap and the risk is big.
That risk first to complete a job and then to be taken off the game, but permanently...

Place: Phnom Penh, the capital of Cambodia.
Main Players: Dox, mercenary and master sniper, Gant, perhaps CIA or Homeland Sicurity or the NSA.
Target: Rithisak Sorm, Ex-Khmer Rouge, central figure in human - and not only - trafficking.

Gant pays Dox to kill Sorm because the U.S. of A. see in him a more than legitimate candidate for being a "target".
There isn't ONE thing in the world Sorm is NOT trafficking with - drugs, children, money ... And makes tons in every valid currency - and his helpers on the "right" side of the law, too.
And now, that a meeting of the UN-GIFT, the United Nations Global Initiative to Fight Human Trafficking will take place at Phnom Penh, this monster will leave his hiding place in Pailin province to to contact his peers. Best opportunity to strike!
But not everything is like it looks - not Dox, often underestimated, not Gant, a really fishy smelling character, not Sorm ...
So - at the very end - some will live, others will die.

And Barry Eisler one more time points his finger right at the U.S. Government accusing the main players of abuse of power.
And ... who likes the way Barry Eisler writes, this story is a must-read!
Maybe get a taste with this story and then You find Yourself hooked for more from Dox.
Read the "John-Rain" books, Rain Fall: John Rain Series, Book 1 to Requiem For An Assassin: John Rain Series, Book 6, plus The Detachment (John Rain Thrillers).
I have done it - and never had any reason to complain...
on 28 July 2014
Great little novella based in the same world as the John Rain series. The main protagonist - Dox - is John Rain's ally in the main series. This short story describes a short interlude in which we are able to see further development of the Dox character and his moral framework. He's a killer, but he has lines he won't cross. Entertaining piece, although I can't claim there was anything surprising about the outcome. It was easy for me to anticipate, I won't say anymore, as it could result in a spoiler!
on 2 April 2013
This is the 1st time that I have read anything by this author and I found it interesting but would need to read more of his books to offer an opinion on his storytelling.This one is brief and gives snippets of information on the main character and the area in which he is working.A good read on a short flight!!
on 14 June 2013
I do enjoy Barry Eisler's Dox character and this is another example of a good story-line by the author. Its just to short for me... i wanted more.... I know, I know... I was well aware that it was a short story.. I just wasn't satisfied. A good read though.
on 31 May 2012
Here it is, the moment most Barry Eisler fans have been waiting for - Dox's own story!

What we have here is pure Barry Eisler, location detail, excellent character definition and a good healthy dose of action. Throw in a small amount of politics, enough to be interesting but not enough to deter the casual reader and you've got a recipe for a superb book.

Until now, Dox has almost been in John Rain's shadow but here we get the man himself, as cool as ever.

Unlike some short stories, this a good length c. 65 paper pages I believe. This means you get the full beginning, middle and end without it feeling rushed or abridged.

A great place to start if you've never read a Barry Eisler book before and more of the same magnificent writing you're used to if you have.
on 8 June 2013
Will fill a dull half hour but not seat of your pants stuff. Hope he doesn't churn stuff out at this level for a quick buck in future.
on 28 May 2013
This is the first book I've read by this author. Very Entertaining, good story and well written. I will read more.
on 22 April 2013
found it interesting, quite a short story but i enjoyed it.
would like a follow up story from this author,
on 12 June 2013
Even the guys short stories are great bring on the next full length book with dox and rain SOON PLEASE
on 28 August 2012
Dox, the ex-Marine sniper we met in the John Rain series, has his own short story.

In Cambodia for a job utilizing his sniper skills, he meets with his contact and immediately has concerns. He meets a nice girl and has concerns there, too. Dox addresses the problems with his usual skill and personal code.

This story is up to the high standard set by Eisler and despite being a short, the length feels entirely right. It was a pleasure to read and had plenty going on. I definitely wasn't left with a sense of anything being missing. The book is a complete tale, just shorter, and I think this is part of the beauty of ebooks, in that a book can be as long as it needs to be.

I would perhaps recommend reading the Rain series so that you get a greater perspective on Dox.

I read the Kindle Edition (Thomas & Mercer, May 2012, 65p) which I bought.