4.0 out of 5 stars very good
Best analogy I can think of is cinematic rather than literary: reading this novel is as exciting as watching one of the first two Terminator films.
Published 12 months ago by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars A nice page turner
Published 13 months ago by Gareth

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars A nice page turner, 2 Sep 2013
This review is from: Kingmaker (Kindle Edition)
I downloaded "Containment" for free which I really enjoyed so I gave this one a go. Everyone seems to give everything 5 stars today without any real barometer or measure, so to get 5 stars the book would have to go into my desert island book collection (which this one doesn't) but 3 stars seems appropriate for a book which I enjoyed, liked the main theme of the book, read quite quickly but would not read again. A good effort all in all and good value. Glad to see that the author is writing a follow up to Containment (that's one I would read again and give 4 stars)

4.0 out of 5 stars very good, 12 Oct 2013
This review is from: Kingmaker (Kindle Edition)

4.0 out of 5 stars This is really science fiction wrapped up in a strange but readable story., 15 Oct 2013
This review is from: Kingmaker (Kindle Edition)
When I say science fiction, Mr Cantrell is really just extrapolating from today's technology and the current situation in the USA and weaving these extrapolations into really rather a good plot so it becomes a thriller. Almost nothing is unbelievable if we imagine ourselves 50 years in the future and almost everything is under development today so it does not stun the reader in the way that late 19th C science fiction seemed completely unachievable - although much of it has now been achieved.

As for the bones of the plot, the hero, an ex-KGB employee living in the USA, recruits particularly bright orphaned children and trains them in sophisticated computer techniques whence they pass on to especially highly paid jobs in a US where employment is vast and with shades of Orwell's 1984.

I have to say I found the book well written, easy to read but had I known it was SciFi I would probably not have downloaded it. It's definitely worth a go and it entertains from page one, you don't need to plod through to half way before the action starts.

4.0 out of 5 stars A near-future of chilling possibility, 19 July 2014
This review is from: Kingmaker (Paperback)
Enjoyed this. A dark dystopian near-future tale very much based on the modern world. For example, I loved the book's idea that American corporations will legally take over employees' voting rights in Presidential elections as a condition of their employment. It's fiction now but who knows? The current right wing US Supreme Court has declared corporations are legally people, so the first step is already in place. Anyway, the book recounts (anti?) hero Alexei Drovosek's attempts to reshape that society by placing individuals he has carefully trained from childhood into key positions of power. It goes wrong. Or appears to. Read it and enjoy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Page Turner, 15 April 2014
This review is from: Kingmaker (Kindle Edition)
This was the first book I have read by Cantrell and found it a really good read and would probably recommend it to fans of Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan books. Will be looking for other books from this author.

4.0 out of 5 stars Well-written, interesting, kept my attention right to the end., 3 Mar 2014
This review is from: Kingmaker (Kindle Edition)
After reading this I'd be interested in reading anything that Christian Cantrell has written. Totally inverted the scifi/spy genre with a background that's both relevant and quite possibly prophetic. Hope Hollywood picks this up - it would make a great film.

2.0 out of 5 stars Confusing!, 2 Mar 2014
This review is from: Kingmaker (Kindle Edition)
I found this book confusing because of the way that the author uses the lives/experiences of his characters to keep the.action going - but in a disjointed way, jumping back and forth in time so that I had to keep referring back to keep track of what was supposed to be going on.
I did persevere to the end as I hoped for some resolution or even explanation. Not to be however!
If you are NOT looking for a book at bedtime and like a really complicated "plot" then this is the one for you! If not - give it a wide berth!

3.0 out of 5 stars superfluous and long descriptions, 27 Feb 2014
This review is from: Kingmaker (Kindle Edition)
Its a good read apart from the superfluous and long descriptions. I just ended up skipping over those sections as I learned they weren't generally relevant. Now you might say that's why I found some story threads went nowhere as I missed key parts, but I really don't think so. I think the author tried to tell an elaborate story that spanned decades in too much detail . Perhaps it was edited down to fit a certain number if pages. Whatever happened I enjoyed it but did not find it easy to read or follow.

5.0 out of 5 stars a masterpiece, 16 Feb 2014
This review is from: Kingmaker (Kindle Edition)
Fabulous intriguing and absorbing book. Loved the fact I couldn't best guess where or when the next chapter would be set.
Thought provoking and bristling with super advanced spy "stuff"
Not my usual genre but so glad I took a leap of faith and read it. Looking out for next book

5.0 out of 5 stars Kingmaker, 11 Jan 2014
This review is from: Kingmaker (Kindle Edition)
it was a totally non put downable book, really great

i would read more of this author in the future

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Kingmaker
Kingmaker by Christian Cantrell (Audio CD - 13 Aug 2013)
Used & New from: £6.47