Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop Cyber Monday Deals Week in Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Amazon Fire TV Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Kids Edition Shop Kindle Voyage Listen in Prime Shop now Shop now

on 5 August 2011
I purchased this book in paperback years ago and enjoyed it very much. It is now falling apart due to old age and being read lots of times. I waited until the Kindle version was cheaper than the paperback as I feel that it is a rip off to charge more for a book delivered electronically than physically.

Once again I enjoyed the story however there was no way that this book could have been proof read before it was sold as there are lots of typographical errors. This would not be acceptable in a printed book so why should we have to accept it in an electronic version. I would like to see Amazon apologise, proof read it properly and once corrected notify everyone who has purchased a Kindle version that a "proper" copy is now available.

For me the story rates five stars but the "translation" one.
on 14 January 2011
I love Tom Clancy's work. I've read The Hunt For Red October countless times in it's paperback form and was so looking forward to reading the kindle version. Bitterly dissapointed with the download version though as it misses out huge swathes of the plotline and the spelling mistakes are terrible. If the Kindle books are abridged or altered in plot line then they should IMHO advise you before buying.

If you have not read the book in it's previous forms then it is still a good yarn but this has put me off buying the other Kindle versions of Clancy's work.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 30 June 2011
Having committed myself to reading this series in chronological order, my reactions have been somewhat mixed so far. Although I really enjoyed Without Remorse and Patriot Games, I found Red Rabbit to be awful. This fourth entry in the 'Ryan timeline' slots somewhere in-between. I didn't enjoy most of it in truth.

Sadly there's a language barrier to get through in order to enjoy The Hunt For Red October. The entire book is so drenched from head to toe in naval-speak that it's often difficult to figure out precisely what's going on. Realism is nice, but at some point you have to crack on with telling a story. Clancy gets so wrapped up in making his novels ultra realistic that often he forgets he's in the fiction business. A shame.

Also, there are far too many characters! It just so happens I'm an experienced reader who's very used to keeping track of many different characters. In this novel though even I got to a point two thirds of the way through when I was literally screaming at the pages - "No more new characters! Just concentrate on the existing ones!" As a reader, I didn't need to know the perspective of every single ship/submarine in the Atlantic ocean.

There are some strong points, most of them towards the end. The GRU agent aboard Red October makes for an exciting turn of fate. Even better is the submarine battle, which I found to be very exciting. Given all the tedious chapters that had gone before, I was actually shocked to suddenly find myself so glued to the final few pages! The submarine face-off definitely redeemed the book a little bit.

Not the worst I've ever read but I doubt I'll keep it. I'd only recommend it if you're in the armed forces (you'll understand the terminologies better than I did) or you're simply hell-bent on reading all the Clancy novels.
on 30 November 2010
Like a lot of people I came to this after seeing the film Hunt For Red October Special Edition [DVD] [1990] (a classic in its own right). The film was based on this book, however it has missed certain key portions that the book has. If you are wanting a typical Tom Clancy thriller this is among the best - don't expect groundbreaking symbolism in this book! The book actually explains technical terms and the background in far more detail than the film, and the book stands on its own in terms of a thriller in the background of a NATO-Soviet conflict in the Atlantic. Whilst the main portion of the book is concerning Jack Ryan (the hero) and the Soviet submarine captain, there are interesting portions of the book which try and look into the actions of various ships and planes which are making up this conflict. Highly recommended!
on 12 June 2013
It's ok, but not the thriller I was hoping for and expecting really.

There's an enormous cast of characters that I had to keep going back to clarify in my mind.

Also, as mentioned, the e-book version contains a lot of spelling mistakes and grammar errors.

It's just not as good as I had expected.
on 23 November 2010
One of those action books that (if you are the type who prefers such to romance, comedy, celeb bull, pompous self-important blowhard autobiographies, or other nonsense) keeps you on the edge of your seat in constant page turning mode.
Clancy has earned a penny or three from his novels, and I strongly believe rightly so. I feel The Hunt for Red October is one of his three best, the others being Red Storm Rising and Without Remorse. Interestingly I believe Without Remorse (his 6th book?) brought in a $17 million advance before pen was put to paper in what was then the greatest literary advance in history - so clearly the publishers thought the guy could write as well.
Most likely to read the book will have seen the film - probably the best way around as the film falls badly in comparison, as is the norm - and will have many of the gaps filled in that the film left wanting. Sean Connery is an excellent actor, but as a Russia sea captain????????
The pace is good, most of the (American) characters solid and the plot is plausible - who cares about a few technical inaccuracies. I thought it was a grand read. However, after recomending it to a Russian girl, who then read it and reported back, there may be more than a little trouble with the Russian characterisation and, as for us Brits - well we all say absolutely spiffing old chap to one another all the time - don't we?
on 6 January 2001
The first book Tom Clancy ever wrote and it took off like a rocket becoming a best seller. This book was also the first Jack Ryan book completed although not the first in the series (The first is Without Remorse writtin a few years later). The book focuses on a submarine comanded by Marco Ramius who's plan is to defect but he tells the crew that they are going to cuba like in the film, by using a new silent underwater propulsion system nicknamed 'Caterpiller drive'. This brings the whole Russian Navy out into the atlantic to try to sink the Red October. The American president and other members of inteligance services decide that Ramius wants to to park neuclear warheads off the United States. Jack Ryan however belives he may be trying to defect and is given three days to prove his theory and if he can't the Red October will be sunk.
A book packed with drama and suspence its worth the money anyday.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 25 February 2005
Tom Clancy's first book already shows his skill at blending realism with suspense and bringing lots of authenticity to what could have been a mediocre Bondish thriller. Contrary to what some critics thought, I think characterisation is pretty good. The book would not be anywhere near as interesting if Marko Ramius and Jack Ryan were a little bland. However, the book has some flaws. As realistic as much of it is, there are a few technical errors which you would not normally see in his later books (F-14s dropping balloons?!!) Being a Brit, I found the portrayal of British characters and comments made about Britain patronising. We don't all eat cucumber sandwiches and say things like "Jolly good old boy." There are a few bits which seemed a bit unnecessary. Surely we could have just been told that the Soviets had found the missile the Red October ejected aswell as the depth gauge, rather than give us a whole section detailing the event. The CARDINAL subplot doesn't really fit in that well with the story. The pace slips a bit because of this. Also, if you think about it, the plot is pretty much a variation on Firefox, which was published in 1975, 9 years before Clancy's debut novel. There are also a number of amazing coincidences and contrivances which also hurt the book's realism. However, the book's good points more than make up for the flaws, and the climax will definitely reward patient reviewers.
on 11 March 2014
This is one of Tom Clancy's truly amazing books, excellent plot, great technical details with well thought out and developed characters, it's a 5/5 all day long.

However the kindle version contains various spelling errors and some sections of the book appear to have gone missing.

on 22 October 2013
If you are a fan of Tom Clancy''s novels and have not read "Hunt for Red October", then you have in my opinion, a treat in store...because most readers will agree with me when I say that this is possibly his best work. The story builds the characters, the plot, the tension, the suspense to such a degree you begin to wonder if the whole thing could almost be non-fiction!

I am not going to spoil anything, just bear with the initial construction of the characters and references to Russian military ranks and you will quickly find yourself completely immersed in this beautifully told, fabulous story.