4.0 out of 5 stars Unexceptional and unoriginal
Published 20 months ago by Anne

3.0 out of 5 stars Not my favourite
I have bought and read all Nora Roberts books, I cannot get enough of them, I waited with anticipation for this book, and I have to say I was a little bit disappointed with it. Bit weak and didnt really hold my interest, normally I cant put Nora Roberts books down, but I found this a little bit dull. Will look forward to the next though.
Published 20 months ago by terrie hughes

4.0 out of 5 stars Unexceptional and unoriginal, 19 April 2013
Anne (Sheffield, Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Whiskey Beach (Kindle Edition)
This is a romantic suspense novel with the emphasis very much on the romance (it doesn't pay to consider the suspense/crime elements too closely as there are some plot holes and a lot is left vague). It centres on Eli, who has been suspected of killing his wife, and Abra, who runs a few local businesses including yoga classes and massage. The two of them come together as they investigate who killed Eli's wife, who is trying to kill them now and what happened to a treasure held by the family in the past. As is usual with this author's books it is well written and plotted and has some witty dialogue and a feel-good ending. If you like this sort of a book (and I do) then you will find it enjoyable enough and certainly better than many other books in the genre. Compared with many romantic suspense novels on the market this earns its fours stars.

If, however, you compare this novel with other Nora Roberts books you may find yourself disappointed and wanting to reconsider the rating. This author has used most of the elements in this book before (sometimes many times before)and I really wanted her to do something different in this novel - alas, it is more of the same. The love story between Eli and Abra is predictable and inevitable. Abra is a typical Roberts heroine in that she is independent, self-employed and hard working. Eli is rich (at least one person in each Roberts couple usually is) and a writer. There is a close village community, a supportive family, wacky best friends and a charming dog - we have seen all these before. The sub-plot about the lost treasure has also been used before several times by the author (and is really a bit cheesy in my opinion). This is Nora Roberts writing by formula - it is a good formula and better than many of her competitors but it would have been nice to see something new.

This is not of the calibre of Birthright or Northern Lights or even of The Witness. It was well done and enjoyable enough but routine. I hope that Nora Roberts can come up with something original and exciting for her next stand-alone title.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not my favourite, 25 April 2013

3.0 out of 5 stars its only ok, 26 May 2013
This review is from: Whiskey Beach (Kindle Edition)
Nora Nora Nora Im just shy of actual disappointment I read all of the books but this is just not up to the usual standard.The plot is weak the two love interests are weak and boring .To be honest the woman at the start of the story is weird and a cross between a door mat and a female Ghandi.SO TICKED OFF I BOUGHT THIS AND DIDN T WAIT FOR THE PRICE TO DROP

2.0 out of 5 stars Glad it didn't cost me anything, 9 Jun 2013
M. E. Newell (Georgia, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Whiskey Beach (Hardcover)
Boston lawyer Eli Landon is a man who is trying to put his life back together after a year of public scrutiny in the murder of his faithless wife, Lindsey. He has come to his grandmother's house on Whiskey Beach to heal and to look after the house. Abra Walsh is carefree resident of Whiskey Beach who opens her heart to Eli and helps heal again. But a killer is on the loose and live may still be lost before the truth comes out.
"Whiskey Beach" has to be one of the worst book by Nora Roberts that has come out in a while! The characters and the storyline were slow and uninteresting. I was forcing to read the book since I was my local library waiting list for the book. Ms. Robert has written some good books, but "Whiskey Beach" is not one of them.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not one of her best, 30 Jun 2013
This review is from: Whiskey Beach (Kindle Edition)
Nora Roberts can write extremely good books which keep you engaged as to who did it. Unfortunately this is not one. It
was obvious and I found it boring.

4.0 out of 5 stars An easy, likeable read, 26 May 2014
Aunt Allie (Sunderland, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Whiskey Beach (Paperback)
Eli Landon appears to have. A perfect life.....but when his wife is murdered, he is declared prime suspect. After a year, the case is dropped but Eli has lost his job and friends, hounded by a cop with a grudge, he returns to the family home in. Whiskey Beach.
Here he meets Abra Walsh, friendly, brave and hiding her own secrets. As they take a few steps towards each other - someone is watching from the shadows...........

Loved the title and the idea of this book, enjoyed the interactions between the characters and it helped pass a couple of afternoons. Good plot but there was just something missing, that magic little something that turns a good novel into a GREAT novel.

Liked Vinny and most of the other locals and really liked Barbie, who can resist a great dog? I did enjoy reading this book but it wasn't special like some of the other Nora books in my collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nora, you are one of the best, 3 Sep 2013
This review is from: Whiskey Beach (Hardcover)
Never in my life have I owned every single book an author has written until I cam across Nora Robert. Now I have them all, and love re-reading her books, always find something new.

3.0 out of 5 stars Once upon a time......lived happily ever after, 12 Nov 2014
This review is from: Whiskey Beach (Hardcover)
Never read Nora Roberts before but liked the premise on the rear cover. After enduring an awful lot of waffle dealing with the fledgling romance between the 2 stars the story gets underway. Having seen just how many books the author has written she is surely a master of her craft. Sadly that craft appears to be Mills and Boonesque.
With about 50 pages to go I thought I had it. She is going to turn this on its head and fool us all. Wrong it played out very predictably and they all lived happily ever after.
I would love to know if Nora Roberts ever considered making the goody the baddy right at the end. It would have been the twist of all twists and could have been done.
I can see why she has her fans but I have not become one of them with this effort.

2.0 out of 5 stars "...the wild curls danced", 16 Dec 2014
This review is from: Whiskey Beach (Paperback)
I struggled through to page 229 where I found the following paragraph:

"Anger and frustration flushed her face, he noted. Horrified apology lived in her eyes. And the breeze from the sea streamed through her hair so the wild curls danced".

As they say - "if you like this sort of thing, this is the sort of thing you will like". I don't. Don't get me wrong, it's not the worst book I have ever read. The plot is slow but could become interesting. It's the style I can't swallow. I gather Ms. Roberts is wildly popular so most people will like this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved this one, 4 Aug 2014
This review is from: Whiskey Beach (Kindle Edition)
Another Nora Roberts classic. I loved this one. The relationship between Eli and Abra was just lovely allowing both of them to move on from their pasts. I just wanted to visit Whiskey Beach and Bluff House so well does Ms Roberts do her job. It makes me want to literally dive into the book and meet all the people and visit all these places. And of course its a great story.

Whiskey Beach
Whiskey Beach by Nora Roberts (Audio CD - April 2014)