Format: Paperback|Change

on 3 April 2013
Thought the outline of the story sounded quite interesting and modern, but sadly upon finishing this book I felt very dissatisfied.
I think the story needed more emotional exploration of the issue and that the characters were quite underdeveloped. If the story had been longer, she could have explored this.
I also can't believe that grandparents and parents would be so welcoming to the one who knocked her up with apparently no plans to get involved with the child.
Although Emma claims she rejected Aidan at the Christmas do, she quickly (too quickly) agrees to sleep with him once he makes a very unusual offer for such a commitment-phobe.
so, in conclusion, too many things were left unexplained and underdeveloped. I think I have now read too many stories involving a confidence lacking (yet sexy to everyone else, and Yet she can't see it!) office worker who the office lothario can't seem to live with or without, then struggles with his conscience before accepting that he actually loves her. (Which we knew all along...)
My advice then? Don't bother unless you're prepared to suspend your disbelief and read something you've probably read before...
Sadly, the edition I bought (printed by amazon) had too many mistakes, even using an apostrophe for a plural!
on 14 November 2012
This is quite simply a fantastic debut novel by Katie Ashley. If love, laughter and passion are the hallmarks to a truly great romance, then The Proposition ticks every box. With a central duo to really believe in and cherish and also to despair with, a great host of secondary characters that are well crafted and feel real and an intriguing premise for a plot, this is quite the accomplished debut and Katie Ashley has proved herself a consummate storyteller. It's very engaging and captivating; it caught my attention right from the first page and, with the witty dialogue, I was engrossed right through to the very end.

Basic Synopsis - Emma's 30th birthday is looming large on the horizon and her biological clock is ticking so loud it's deafening her and everyone around her. After her gay best friend refuses to be a sperm donor, Aidan Fitzgerald, known manwhore and womanizer, offers to jump into the breach with just one condition - the baby must be conceived naturally. He's been attracted to Emma for a long time and, blinded by his easy charm and desperate to conceive, she agrees.

Aidan was a great hero - he's cocky, charming and more than a little misunderstood but he is commitment-shy and has a bit of a reputation with the ladies. I was leery of how their first night of babymaking would go but I needn't have worried. Aidan, sensible of the strangeness of their situation, made it very romantic and the writing builds the anticipation well until the pyrotechnics go off. Seriously HOT! There's some great humour in here too as they work out their sex schedule.

"A MWF sex schedule? How efficient," he mused.
"Please be serious."
A wicked grin flashed on his face. "Fine, pencil me in. I'll be ready and erect whenever you need me."

Emma is a sweetheart of a heroine - completely honest, without guile and a little bit heartbroken by losses in her past, I very much identified with her. She never really ever seemed desperate, just sad and lonely. She has great friends too and both she and Aidan have loving families which we get to know and - a quick word about the secondary characters. So often in novels, these aren't fully developed and feel like cardboard cutouts but that's quite simply not the case here - they jumped instantly to life off the pages and it all felt very real.

But, the course of true love never did run smooth and there are some bumps in the road ahead as Emma finds herself falling for Aidan who is in complete denial of his emotions and scared to death of commitment.

It's a fantastic debut novel but I will warn you all - MAJOR WICKED CLIFFHANGER ALERT!

This is happening with increasing frequency in romance novels lately and I guess it's a ploy to leave you salivating for more. Well, IT WORKED! Now I can't wait for the sequel - The Proposal.

4.5 stars contemporary romance
on 26 January 2013
When this popped up on my recommendations I thought I would give it it a go and I am so glad I did as I loved it. OK so the storyline is a little unrealistic, but that's precisely why I read these type of books; I want some escapism from real-life and a male lead to swoon over!

Well-written, it has endearing loveable characters, is witty, romantic, with moments that are heart-warming and moments that tug on the heartstrings. And it has some great saucy content. I loved Aiden; a 'cad', he is witty, cock-sure (no pun intended) and oozes appeal on every level. Emma was so easy to relate to; she's down to earth, kind, caring, will do anything for anyone, is strong despite losing so many people close to her and more than anything, longs for a baby. Aiden offers to fulfil her dream as long as they conceive the good old natural way; that way they both get what they want out of it. And so the fun begins...some of it very hot and steamy fun. The secondary characters bring with them many of the funny and heartwarming moments and needless to say, I couldn't put it down.

Thankfully I don't have to wait to find out what happens next as the follow-up is out. I think we have only scratched the surface of Aiden's character and I am so pleased I can launch straight into The Proposal and discover more.

As for this book, I would certainly recommend adding it to your reading list.
on 23 May 2013
Definitely more like 4.5 stars

I was easily drawn into this story and I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed it. Yes we can all bitch about decisions on bringing up a baby on our own and the implications of single parenthood and whether we would have the support of friends and family but hey this is not professed to be a true story it's 'fiction' and fiction lets face it, is made up.

I didn't have a problem falling into the characters, I could understand the freedom of Emma and her sexuality after the first night with Aiden and that gave her the gumption to waltz into his office like she did. I loved Aiden, I wanted to smack him upside the head a few times, oh what a commitment phobe he is! I also loved Emma, she is a country girl through and through, pure of heart and easy to get along with, it's such a shame she's had it rough a lot.

I loved the cameraderie throughout the book, it's lightheartedness was a really pleasant read. It was also refreshing that not an ounce of a dominant male was thrown at us and not a meek and submissive heroine.

But it still had that heart pounding moment of 'oh my god! What the hell is he doing!' I was wondering how this could go into a second book and I am ok with the result from this book and intrigued to see where it could go in book 2.

So for one I really did enjoy this adult romance, even the supporting cast played their roles excellently and that includes Beau!
on 9 June 2013
After reading some of the other reviews I thought I would give this book a go. To say I was disappointed is an understatement. I have read so many books similar to this where hero and heroine have so many misunderstandings, how fabulous she is, what a cad he is, its just so boring. Even the sex!!!! parts where repetitive and I just found this book boring. As I have purchased the follow up book The Proposal I will wade through it but do not look forward to it and shall certainly not purchase The Party.
on 12 February 2013
I'm not sure when it became trendy to drag a romance novel out over two or more books, but after 300plus pages I want a " happy Ever After", nota ...buy the next book to find out if they get together etc etc
Thought the novel was too stretched out as it was, nice story, lied the characters, but not much really happens.
If it had been a compete novel I'd have rated 3.5 or 4 at a push.
Note to authors, let the readers know its not a complete story in the one book please. 8)
on 3 November 2012
Loved the writing style, Loved the characters, Loved the story, even loved the dog. The only thing not to love about this book was the cliffhanger ending... I can not wait for the next book! Highly Recommended.
on 3 February 2014
I read a lot of books, I love a story that is different.

We meet Emma, who, after a lot of heartache is desperate to become a mother. Then we meet Aidan, player, cocksure and not willing to settle down for anyone. There are twists and turns and its brilliant.

I adored Emma from the very first page, she is real and I saw a lot of myself in her, I felt I could identify with her so very much. She is feisty and so full of love and hope and kindness.

I feel in love with Aidan quickly, he starts into the story as a cocky, arrogant player, but you see him change. He is funny, charming and sexy as hell.

I adored this book and I adore Katie Ashley's writing style. I am really looking forward to reading more from Katie.
on 28 July 2013
A reasonably engaging premise, if a little far-fetched, but the characters were so shallow I found I didn't really care what happened to them. Dialogue was wooden and I found Emma irritating in her attempts to change Aiden, to make him a 'better' person at every opportunity. I won't bother with the sequel.
TOP 50 REVIEWERon 23 January 2013
Emma Harrison wants a baby. She's nearing thirty, her mother died two years previously, and prior to that her fiancé Travis had died. Her best friend Connor had agreed to be the sperm donor. But his boyfriend objected. Which left Emma high and dry.

Then in steps company VP Aidan Fitzgerald. Aidan has a reputation as a player. But this isn't about he and Emma having a relationship. This is just going to be about sex to get Emma pregnant.

Though well written, the plot is totally unrealistic. You have to suspend belief here. Emma is a nice girl, with some supportive friends. But I wondered how none of her friends, ever talked to her about bringing up a baby on her own how was she going to manage financially ect..even her family thought this was a great idea. That just didn't make sense. Then there was the interactions between Emma and Aidan, Emma started out really shy, she had not been with anyone since her dead fiancé. Yet the next thing she's talking dirty parading around in suggestive sexy underwear! Demanding sex with Aidan even in his office. Aidan seemed to be the more down to earth of the two of them. Taking this situation for what it was. As for deeper feelings developing between the two, I didn't totally buy Into that either. I felt throughout the whole story that Emma was on a hiding to nothing with Aidan. To sum up this is very predictable.

This ends on a cliffhanger so to see what happens next I will need to read the next book. I don't think I will bother.