5.0 out of 5 stars The book English home education has been waiting for
Published on 4 Dec. 2012 by Anne Wade

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor Syntax
I had been looking forward to reading this; the subject is interesting and the reviews were, on the whole, very positive. Sadly, I have found that I can't cope with Ross Mountney's clumsy sentences. I generally had to read most of the sentences at least twice in order to fully understand the meaning. A shame.
Published 17 months ago by Blimey O'Reilly

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The book English home education has been waiting for, 4 Dec. 2012
Anne Wade (London UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Funny Kind of Education (Paperback)
Ross writes so vividly of the distress school caused her children and her fears about taking them out to home educate them - I had tears in my eyes as it brought back our agonising over whether to take our unhappy child out of school. And I remember the initial disbelief at how easily learning happens when a child is allowed to do it in the way that suits them. Surely anything worthwhile requires hard work? It can't be this easy... we must be doing something wrong.

That was more than thirty years ago for us, and life was very different - computing was limited to programming a ZX81 in Basic - but so much of the experience is the same. I kept recognising one thing after another.

We felt the same gratitude to Education Otherwise for bringing together home educating families to talk incessantly about it all, to admit misgivings we could not discuss with critical relatives, and find support and solutions or reassurance.

We also had lovely supportive local authority advisors, although they were a minority in those days. We enjoyed their visits, and realised how rare it is for adults to listen properly to a child for any length of time. Then we had a spell when we sent in reports instead of having visits because we did not like the advisor they wanted to send. When he reached the end of statutory education (school leaving age) a different advisor came to visit. He insisted on seeing her on his own because, as he had always asserted, his learning was his own responsibility. She came out saying she was `most impressed', but we never found out any more.

I remember the same struggle for time for myself. I remember it bringing us closer as we realised that we could only do it through being united in doing the best for our child; and then how rewarding we found it for ourselves, how much we learned and what good friends we made. I remember children who did not pester us to buy things because they understood that home educating meant less income. Children who considered that being kind to each other was more important than being good at reading and sums even if they were good at them. I remember the passionate need to play in mud and running streams and climb trees (hard in a city), the need for long periods of quiet and `doing nothing' and not being interrupted (impossible in school), the need at other times to climb and do headstands and move incessantly while questioning and trying to grasp a new concept, and of sometimes being told in the middle of an explanation, "That's all I want to know at the moment thank you, I need to go away and think about it." I remember children who could discuss anything rationally on an adult level and yet who could still play like children.

I remember years later one of the people who had been critical saying, "I would still hate to have to do what you are doing. But it is a huge relief to know that if one of the children were unhappy in school I could ask EO the current regulations on deregistering them and just take them out." And a child who had decided to go back to school said, "It is so different being there from choice. The teachers are never sarcastic or bullying. If they start, I just look at them and they know I can walk away any time I choose, and they take a breath and talk to me as if I am a human being."

And I love hearing about how our young people are doing now, and especially about how some of them are home educating the next generation.

Anne Wade

5.0 out of 5 stars I could not put it down., 29 Oct. 2012
This review is from: A Funny Kind of Education (Paperback)
I've been reading Ross Mountney now for about nine years and she has never failed to inspire me where education is concerned. The latest book "A Funny Kind of Education" has done more than inspire me; it has enchanted me, transported me and made me cry. "A Funny Kind of Education" is fundamentally a memoir of the days when Ross was home educating her two daughters. However, it is more than that. It is a story of how childhood should be, about family love, loss and furthermore it also makes us yearn to have our own special adventure.
Deciding to home educate your child is a difficult and life changing decision and fear stops many people from actually doing it. "A Funny Kind of Education" does not mask home education in rose coloured glasses but demonstrates that it is accessible and definitely more than worthwhile. "A Funny Kind of Education" will be around for a long time whilst parents and educators alike read and discuss it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A book to hearten the bravest choice!, 24 Feb. 2013
This review is from: A Funny Kind of Education (Paperback)
I've just finished reading Ross's latest book 'A Funny Kind of Education' after following her blog for the last year and reading her first book when we first set out on our home ed adventure in 2011. It is a comfortable read, talking through decisions their family has made along the way and how their day-to-days were spent, sprinkled with amusing, heartfelt and honest tales.

I loved how it transported me to a place where home ed was normalised, as every home ed family knows, it is a balm to not feel odd as we are still swimming against a strong tide which can be very brave. This is changing I believe :) as more and more people are looking outside of the full-time state school option.

There are many places in the book where Ross shares her thoughts on this and other pertinent topics about why families choose to educate at home (or more specifically 'out and about'!) as an alternative to the school environment for their child or children.

Great for newcomers and seasoned home-edders alike, I fully recommend this book.

Ali Chapman aka Weststar
[...]

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for every parent, 15 April 2013
I am new at home educating but felt it was my last option. After reading all the reviews of this book I knew I had to read it and I am so pleased I did and grateful to the author for writing it. It's really about how the author overcame the negativity she received when people saw her and her children out and about during term time and how they managed everyday living. It makes you laugh and feel normal that you decided to home educate and also has sad moments within it. It also makes you realise that it matters not what people think as long as you feel that the way your children are being raised and as long as they are happy - they will learn - its just a different way of learning.

5.0 out of 5 stars How it used to be, 21 Oct. 2012
This review is from: A Funny Kind of Education (Paperback)
What this book tells readers and educationalists alike is of an education which is learning at its best. If schools could be allowed to use this model(like they used to do) and could leave the political mire behind, then children would have an enjoyable time, learning.A compulsive read whatever your child's education-a clever combination of fact and story!

4.0 out of 5 stars Very realistic., 27 July 2013
Itchy (London, UK) - See all my reviews
I had wanted to write a book like this - and you have done it for me. I felt this pretty much describes my experience of home educating. We have had a fantastic time with no regrets. I have two polite, pleasant teens, who seem to have gone through few of the school trials/rights of passage and less desirable teen behaviours that my peers have experienced with their kids. My kids now ready for 6th form and uni. Would have loved an update to the book to see what happened to yours, in fact, thats why i bought the book because i thought it might contain this - an enjoyable read nonetheless. What's needed is almost a next phase book and an HE kids reflection on their home ed experience/advantages/disadvantages?/skills gained. Fancy putting pen to paper? X

5.0 out of 5 stars Such an enjoyable read - highly recommended, 22 Oct. 2012
This review is from: A Funny Kind of Education (Paperback)
This book arrived two days ago and I have found it compulsive reading.

It is heart warming, honest, funny, inspiring, down to earth, and even moved me to tears at one very sad part.

Thank you Ross for simply the best book about home education I have read - and I have read a lot.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book was so funny. My family thought I had gone crazy as ..., 11 July 2014
This book was so funny. My family thought I had gone crazy as I kept laughing whilst reading it. The author has such a down to earth way of expressing the trials and tribulations of Home Ed. It would be a good book to read even if you weren't a Home Educator, but it has helped me take a more relaxed approach with my own daughter. Life is full of so many experiences and sometimes I think we get caught up in ticking boxes and meeting other peoples expectations that we miss so many special moments. Experience every day and enjoy it while you can! I would recommend this book 100%.

5.0 out of 5 stars Am in love lol, 17 July 2013
Well I have read this book in a week despite a pretty gruesome schedule. I could relate to about 99% of it I loved it and I started as someone considering home ed really until my daughter got a place at her chosen school but am now convinced it's the way forward for our family. Thank you Ros

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring and heartwarming, 11 Aug. 2013
This review is from: A Funny Kind of Education (Paperback)
I'm a newcomer to the world of home education and taking my first tentative steps, curious to know what a home educating lifestyle is like for a family in the UK. I couldn't have chosen a better read, I absolutely loved this book and I couldn't put it down! This is a beautiful account of one family's journey through home education: why they chose to do it, how they started, the ups and downs and the wonderful experiences they had along the way. I found it truly inspiring and would recommend this to anyone starting out on a home educating adventure.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

A Funny Kind of Education
A Funny Kind of Education by Ross Mountney (Paperback - 4 Oct. 2012)