on 29 March 2016
Having completed the Body Coach programme at the end of 2015 I was looking around for inspiration for a training regime for the new year. Having stumbled across a Facebook group for followers of the Thinner Leaner Stronger (TLS) programme I was inspired to buy this book.

What it contains is lots of information about the science of exercise, of diet, of willpower, and how Michael Matthews recommends you combine these to build lean muscle and burn fat.

Each chapter is very in-depth, but it has a summary at the end so is good to flick back to if you need to remember the key points. He includes how to calculate your 'macros' (which are the amount of protein, carbs and fat you should eat every day) based on your body weight, fat percentage and how much you work out. He includes the workouts, which is mainly based on lifting weights in 8 week cycles, so it changes every couple of months and gets progressively harder. When you've finished you can apply for an e-book which is a day by day programme of the workouts. He also recommends HIIT cardio workouts too, which are explained in the book.

For Body Coach graduates it's the ideal next step. What I would say to everyone though is to give yourself a few weeks before you aim to start. Firstly, there's a lot of information to take in, so it's worth reading it properly rather than trying to skim. Secondly, unless you're used to counting macros then it takes a while and practise to work out the right meals which give you the correct grams of each macronutrient. (I would recommend the MyFitnessPal app to help with that!) And finally, whether you work out in the gym or at home you need to allow time to ensure you know what you're doing with the workouts - to make sure your form is correct and the weights are right for you. You basically need to have the right weights to do 8-10 reps only.

So in summary I would recommend this as a bible for losing fat and building lean muscle - if you're prepared to put the hard work in too!
on 19 April 2016
This is a brilliant book for anyone wanting to be 'thinner leaner & stronger'. It has in depth information on nutrition, exercise & motivation. Despite having such in depth information, it is well written & easy to understand. There is a summary at the end of each chapter and it is good to refer back to these.
I found it a very motivational book & it has inspired me to begin his one year challenge. This is a resistance programme which changes every 8 weeks for a year. There is a link to the workouts in the book & you can also purchase a journal to alongside the plan.
I love that the book is specifically aimed at women as many resistance programmes are aimed at men.
If you want to learn how to fuel your body to lose fat & build lean muscle, this is a must. I also have his book 'the shredded chef' which is full of tasty recipes which compliment the information in this book.
on 7 January 2015
This book gets straight to the point- if you want a 'thinner, leaner, stronger' body then follow the training and nutrition plan by Mike and you will defo start seeing the results. I had been training for a year and only seeing a little bit of definition in my body so thought its time to step it up and start increasing my weights aswell as counting calories and macronutrient intake (which for the first few days seems a bit of a pain but once you get into it it becomes a habit and doesn't take long each day to work out your calories etc, especially if you plan your meals in advance). What I really like about Mikes books are the fact that he is there to answer any questions or queries you have and you can just email him and he will get back to you, which I think is fantastic as I reckon some people would try charging for this. Definitley recommend this book! Wow just wanted to add this on to the review, I have just checked in the mirror and, my problem areas which are the very tops of my thighs, have a 1-2cm gap in between them! This is so exciting I have only been on mikes programme for 1 & a half weeks and my thighs at the top, which have always touched, are no longer touching!!! Fat loss in just over a week I cannot actually believe it, thank you mike!!! It motivates you to keep going when you see the results .
66 comments|27 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 12 July 2014
Brilliant book with loads of useful info and finally someone who explains it clearly! Thanks Mike :)
on 27 May 2016
This is just great. Enough substantiated information to keep a scientist like myself happy and written in an accessible, comfortable style. I spent a week reading and re-reading this, just to get a handle on the details, but I'm sure you could 'skip to the end' if you needed to. I now use the 'one year challenge' and I'm digging it. I love the fact that I can go to the gym, five days a week, and work hard without killing myself. I'm motivated to see this through. And I've become a total evangelist - people are stopping me at my local leisure centre and asking me what the hell I'm doing to look this good in such a short space of time.
I've managed to look up a wide variety of sources as part of my commitment to a long term lifestyle change.

Unhappy with my form and results I've been seeing in my apathetic gym routines, I decided to spend some money on "Thinner Leaner Stronger" as the reviews had been so favourable and on reviewing the YouTube channel, decided that Matthews probably does know what he's going on about ;)

I read this before going to a healthy eating seminar at my local gym; they told me nothing that I didn't know here, and indeed didn't go in to the detail that Matthews does. The dietary recommendations, the recommended exercises, and the way to treat your routines, all make complete sense.

I've left it 2 weeks of following Matthews' recommendations before actually writing this review. In that time I've dropped 4% body fat so suffice to say that when you've got a lot to lose it comes off quickly, his recommendations can and do work if you follow his guidance.

Couple this with a bit of elbow grease at the gym and you've got a realistic and sensible building block for a healthier future. It's not a lot of money to invest in your personal health, so go ahead and buy it, ladies!
33 comments|61 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 30 October 2013
I have read this book through and it does give some great advice and pointers. Also the myths it busts actually make sense and all the evidence he uses to back up his claims seems well sources and proven. I haven't been following his advice very long so I don't feel right giving him the full 5 stars just yet but hopefully I will remember to come back in 3 months and update this.
on 9 May 2015
I chose this book because I have started going to the gym and basically want to be told what to do and when to do it until I get the hang of my body. I don't wish to be skinny. I'm 44 and want people to tell I work out. I am on my way back from a week's holiday where I read this book every day and I cannot wait to get home and follow this book to the letter..even the eating plan.
on 4 January 2014
This book really opened my eyes to the cold hard facts behind proper training, supplements and nutrition in order to achieve your dream female body! Michael Matthews presents the information in an accessible way, allowing you to fully understand the science behind getting in shape. I'll no longer be making mistakes I've been previously making in the gym thanks to this book!
on 6 March 2015
Mike Mathews delivers again a no bs approach to getting real results, its weight training for women, Mike encourages you to get
rid of the Barbie weights and lift heavy, once you start reading you wont be able to stop, its the most informative straight forward,and interesting
read about exercise and much more.. There is also a journal that you can get too.