5.0 out of 5 stars Ticked every box... superb!
With so many authors, their name on the cover tells you exactly what you're going to find inside. Not so with Linda Gillard. The only thing you're sure of when you pick up something she's written is that it'll be superbly written, meticulously plotted and that a couple of days of your life will disappear as you have to read to the very end.

"House of Silence",...
Published on 24 April 2011 by Welsh Annie

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as dark as I'd hoped but still enjoyable
Published on 15 Aug 2012 by Celina Grace

5.0 out of 5 stars Ticked every box... superb!, 24 April 2011
Welsh Annie (Wetherby) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: HOUSE OF SILENCE (Kindle Edition)

"House of Silence", sadly only available for the Kindle (for shame, publishers!) ticked every possible box for me. A strong lead heroine in Gwen, a magnificently drawn supporting cast (Hattie my favourite...), brooding Marek the gardener - then there's the house itself, and the wonderful detail about the quilts, real and metaphoric. Secrets, lies, discoveries, tragedies, joy and redemption, this is a story that will appeal to all tastes - plenty for the romantic, interesting family history, part detective story. I loved every clicked page of it - absolutely superb stuff.

4.0 out of 5 stars Something for everyone..., 22 April 2011
Michelle Moore (Dartford, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: HOUSE OF SILENCE (Kindle Edition)
Linda has three previously published books, and many loyal fans, and yet her agent was unable to find a publisher who would take on House of Silence. She has finally decided to release it as an ebook, and it has been very well received. I very much enjoyed her previous books, so Linda kindly sent me a copy of this one to take a look at.

As previously mentioned, the book starts with the building relationship between Gwen and Alfie, both of whom have difficult backgrounds. Gwen's family all died when she was young, including her mother, and it becomes obvious to us, if not to Gwen, that this has caused it's own damage. Alfie also has difficulties with his family - but they are still around, full of complications, and expecting him to visit at Christmas, as he always does.

Alfie seems very reluctant to let Gwen join him, but eventually he agrees, and so as they travel, he tells her a little more about the various people she will meet. It's only once they arrive however, that we really get to see these wonderful characters. Like Alfie and Gwen, these character are worth reading about because they're flawed and real. And for me, this is the strength of Linda's writing, giving us real, interesting characters.

I don't mind saying that this isn't my favourite of Linda's books, as I do like it when she pushes just a little further. Emotional Geology and A Lifetime Burning are my favourites, the latter being a much more controversial book. However, House of Silence still has a lot to offer, and the second half of the book kept me gripped, reading the twists and turns to find out where it would take me.

Linda's books don't fit tidily into one genre, and if that's holding the publishers back, they really should think again, because it means that Linda's books reach a wide audience. There's a family drama, a growing mystery, glimpses of dealing with mental health issues, plus a touch of romance. Be careful though, you'll probably want to go and get the rest of Linda's books!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as dark as I'd hoped but still enjoyable, 15 Aug 2012
This review is from: HOUSE OF SILENCE (Kindle Edition)
I was slightly misled by this book as I'd heard it was a psychological thriller (my favourite genre) - it's not. It's a mostly successful amalgam of mystery, romance, cosy crime and family drama. Unlike seemingly most of the reviewers, I found Marek's strong, brooding silent type rather irritating and although the other characters were well drawn, Gwen remained a rather shadowy protagonist. But it's undeniably readable - it's just not dark and twisted enough for a cynical old moo like me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Moving, riveting, fun - a triumph!, 6 April 2011
Nicola "nicola_in_southyorks" (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: HOUSE OF SILENCE (Kindle Edition)
Linda Gillard's legion of fans have been eagerly awaiting the chance to read a new novel from her, and this fan definitely wasn't disappointed. House of Silence was a pleasure to read, and a disappointment to finish.

It's the story of Gwen, a young woman damaged by her childhood, who meets Alfie, the son of a famous writer on whom she had based her well-known main character. On the face of it, Alfie seems to have everything that Gwen doesn't, in particular a solid family environment. Alfie takes her to Creake Hall, his family home, where she meets his sisters and his mother, and Gwen finds out that not everything is as it at first appeared.

Alfie's family are great creations. I loved Hattie and her patchwork quilts, and the homeliness of Viv. I also liked his mother, Rae, eccentric but likeable. And then there's Marek, the brooding and attractive gardener (say no more!).

This is a splendid read. It's a country house story, but it didn't feel contrived like some do. Above all, it's a story of how damaged families can be, and how much damage they can do to the generations to follow. Parts of the book really moved me, and it also made me smile in places too. And it's an easy read in that it flows beautifully. A triumph, and worth waiting for!

Linda Gillard is an author who publishers seem to find hard to pigeonhole and for that reason they seem reluctant to take a chance on her. Her readers, however, only care about great writing, good plots, and standout characters, and these are what she always delivers. If you liked her other books then you will love House of Silence, and if you are a new reader then I definitely recommend you go and read her back catalogue and support a superb writer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Patchwork, 6 Jun 2011
This review is from: HOUSE OF SILENCE (Kindle Edition)
This was the first book I read on my Kindle, and I was so pleased I didn't have to miss out on the chance to read it. The story itself was like the patchwork at its core - every character, every event was critical to the whole. As the pieces of this intriguing story came together to solve the mystery, there came a growing affection for each well described character.Thank you, Linda, for a gripping story of mystery intertwined with romance that was impossible to put down - a perfect patchwork! I'm looking forward to reading more of your books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put it down, 13 April 2011
This review is from: HOUSE OF SILENCE (Kindle Edition)
I must admit (guiltily) that I bought this a couple of days ago, and much less than 24 hours later I'd read the whole thing.

House Of Silence is brilliant, and more than deserving of finding its way into paperback form. I'm so glad that Linda Gillard chose to e-publish after all the waiting for this book to be available, and it was definitely worth the wait. HoS is every bit as atmospheric as her other 3 novels, and it has a bit of everything. There's romance, comedy, hints of tragedy, suspense, and most importantly characters whom you can't help but fall in love with.

The setting of an 'outsider' visiting a big, old country house for Christmas and finding that the eccentric family are hiding something is reminiscent of Agatha Christie at her best, and Gillard lives up to the challenge. The character of Marek in particular is a masterpiece, and one of the most interesting heroes I've encountered in modern fiction.

If you haven't read the author's previous books then I strongly recommend them - particularly Star Gazing, which is my personal favourite and probably the best-known. Now I'm just looking forward to the next book!

5.0 out of 5 stars So gripping I lost half a day!!, 6 May 2011
This review is from: HOUSE OF SILENCE (Kindle Edition)
I have just spent the most fabulous day fully immersed in Creake Hall and all it's intrigues!
I was a little dubious about reading on my laptop, I don't own a kindle, and as this book is (tragically) only available as an e-book, I downloaded the Kindle app for my laptop, intending to dip in and out and just read small sections! This worked well for the first quarter, and today, I sat down at 3pm to read another chapter or 2, 6 hours later, having only paused to cook dinner, I finished the book!

Gwen is a fabulous heroine, so real and accessible I felt I'd made a friend not met a character in a book, and she's surrounded by such a wonderful, wacky cast of characters. (I have a soft spot for dear Hattie) and not forgetting the gorgeous Marek, who will haunt my dreams for a long time I'm sure! (Grey pyjamas will never seem the same again!)
And the story itself is so artfully crafted, just as I thought I'd got it all figured out, and knew what was coming, so Linda put in another soaring loop of a twist, leaving me floundering again, in the best possible way, so I just HAD to keep reading to find out what was really going on at Creake Hall.
Overall, 10/10, fab read!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A really good read, 5 May 2011
This review is from: HOUSE OF SILENCE (Kindle Edition)
There is only one thing wrong with Linda Gillard's novels - there aren't enough of them! You finish one and just want to read another.

4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining and atmospheric light gothic romance, 2 May 2011
Roman Clodia (London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: HOUSE OF SILENCE (Kindle Edition)
Gwen is a wardrobe mistress who meets actor Archie on a historical film set. When he takes her to his family home, she becomes embroiled in mysteries of the past, uncovering murderous secrets, hidden letters, and a mysterious photograph...

This is an entertaining read filled with deft characterisation, some light romance, and elements of gothic mystery. Gwen is an interesting heroine, not irritatingly feisty but with character and individuality, and her relationships with Archie's family and Archie himself are done very well.

In lots of ways this takes familiar elements from the gothic genre - the huge old house, women locked away together, babies, writing and madness - and spins them back together in not completely original fashion. There is a slightly old-fashioned air to the whole thing in that we can't quite imagine this story being set in the C21st but I felt that added to the atmosphere.

The narrative which is split between different first person voices and interspersed with an omniscient narrator is a tad irritating as we're constantly switching points of view, but doesn't disrupt the story too far.

So overall this is a fun, light read that keeps the pages turning.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Intelligent Must Read, 3 April 2011
chrissy (East Sussex) - See all my reviews
This review is from: HOUSE OF SILENCE (Kindle Edition)
Houses are rarely silent forever, their bricks, mortar and timber ultimately creak with truths and lies and half truths. Mystery, emotion and the unraveling of a family are brought together beautifully in this intricate and perfectly paced story that speaks of how the very best intentions can lead us to punish all those around us, and how redemption can be found through the simplest of acts.

All families have secrets don't they? Gwen has known tragedy and hurt yet she holds her past as an open book, unwilling to pretty the uncomfortable truths of it away. With Alfie and the family Gwen is about to meet, it is a completely different story.

You know from early on in the book that things aren't quite what they appear to be and the ghosts from the past of each sit waiting to be called upon. Nothing is ever black and white in a Linda Gillard book, with the heroes and villains never quite as heroic nor villainous as they first appear, and `House Of Silence' is no exception.

These are characters that you not only come to like, but you come to understand their complexities and their motivations. You are compelled to read on from those early pages because the characters draw you in almost instantly. You must know how it will all end, what the secrets are, and to whom they belong.

House of Silence
House of Silence by Linda Gillard (Paperback - 9 Nov 2012)
6.48