5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, 17 Oct 2012
This review is from: The effing c-word: Cricket: a user's guide (Paperback)
Great book, that is genuinely funny and very well written. Whether you have played cricket, or just enjoy watching it, this book is a must read.
It will also make a great gift for anyone who has a passion for cricket in any form of the game.
I hope that Simon White writes more books, as i'll definitely buy them!

5.0 out of 5 stars Englishness distilled, 26 Oct 2012
This review is from: The effing c-word: Cricket: a user's guide (Paperback)
Good read. Not prone to fits of nationalist pride I found myself feeling decidedly proud to be a twenty first century Briton as I got sucked into the this book's tales of the quiet dramas played out between very different kinds of cricketers every weekend on village greens. Previously only "cricket-curious" I'm now tempted to, if somewhat nervous about, playing a bit, or at least watching the odd test match with someone who knows this stuff better than me. I don't know if there's something particularly alienating about superstar footballers that has increasingly turned me off that game but there's something very touching in reading how much these village cricketers are in touch with test cricket and feel a kind of through line from that one rare beautiful shot they played (or dream about playing) and the trademark shot they see favourite international cricketers playing again and again. The author does a very good job of describing how it feels to face different kinds of bowling and what the shots feel like so you do actually get quite excited reading about each delivery as he describes it. There's definitely a real tension in the psychological battle between the bowler and the batsman which I wasn't aware of before because I didn't know the many options both players had open to them and how the psychological game can really grind either player down. There are lots of anecdotes of famous and infamous Test cricketing episodes and they're related in line with the author's philosophy on the game- be brave, be colourful but always play fair. It's unashamedly stirring stuff.

If you are interested in cricket and want to know a bit more about it, this is a really fun book. About a quarter of it is a glossary which is very useful but also very funny, with a touch of the Douglas Adams about many of the definitions. Instead of just referring to it when I needed to I actually switched back and forth between reading the main book and reading the glossary because the glossary was so funny.
I'm not sure I really want to get into the game as much as the author, who seems to have made his life a lot more complicated than I would like, but it's now definitely a sport I want to take an interest in.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cricket as it really is, 22 Oct 2012
Lambo51 (Verwood, Dorset) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The effing c-word: Cricket: a user's guide (Paperback)
This is a lovely cricket story that brings to life the glories of village cricket. Any cricket lover will be able to relate to the stories that Simon brings to life. We can all relate to our inadequacies in this glorious game. Simon White encapsulates why cricket is different to virtually any other sport on this planet. Well played sir - to mild applause from the boundary!

5.0 out of 5 stars effing good read, 22 Oct 2012
This review is from: The effing c-word: Cricket: a user's guide (Paperback)
village cricket is always an amusing subject but somehow even funnier from the man who won the award for running everyone out ! great book, something for everyone (who likes cricket) even the wife read a bit and can sympathize with the weekends being overrun with endless cricket talk. Look forward to the next one as there are many more stories to tell!

5.0 out of 5 stars Full of wonderful anecdotes, points of view and stories which made ..., 3 Aug 2014
This review is from: The effing c-word: Cricket: a user's guide (Paperback)
Cracking read, couldn't put it down once I'd started reading it. Full of wonderful anecdotes, points of view and stories which made me smile and chuckle away to myself (even if I was a protagonist in one!). Can't wait for your next book Si, no doubt it'll be as much of a page-turner as I found this one to be!

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful book, here on amazon., 17 Oct 2012
This review is from: The effing c-word: Cricket: a user's guide (Paperback)
I picked this off the shelf quicker than any England batsmen can Sunil Narine. The best decision made since Ponting got dropped from the Aussie team. The only person i know who could put this book down was Kamran Akmal, extremely enjoyable read and great village (D. French) chat.

5.0 out of 5 stars hilarious, 5 May 2013
This review is from: The effing c-word: Cricket: a user's guide (Paperback)
If you're a current or ex club cricketer, or even if you're thinking of giving it a go, you will love this book. More often than not I kept thinking one of my team mates had written it as it all rings so true. Seriously, just buy it, you will not be disappointed!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Superb Innings!, 3 May 2013
I loved this book from start to finish. It was as enjoyable as sitting in the sun on a lazy Sunday afternoon at the edge of a village green with the gentle hum of the spectators, crack of willow against leather and ripple of applause.

I found it amusing, well written and well paced without too much confusing jargon that might put off a non-cricket 'officianado'. As a cricket lover and having spent some afternoons as a a make-up-the-numbers cricketer I recognised all the characters so beautifully depicted and who can be found gracing most Village Cricket Teams. Although a number of practices and comitments could just as easily apply to those who generously commit their time to football, rugby or gymkanas no doubt.

A lovely read. Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Understands and Communicates the Essence of the Game, 22 April 2013
I thoroughly enjoyed the book, which I'm pretty sure was Guardian newspaper recommended read. Simon White really does communcate what it is about cricket that makes it so appealing to fans and players and so infuriating to those who just don't get it.

Minor quibbles: could have done with some more attentive editing and sub-editing. I don't know whether it was my Kindle version that was at fault, but "practice" was frequently used as a verb, apostrophes were often incorrectly applied,the beehive was described as "pair" shaped instead of pear-shaped. Also, for a cricket buff, I'm surprised that Simon White blamed Duckworth Lewis for the 1992 World Cup match between England and South Africa when the 21 runs off 1 ball debacle occurred. DL was introduced in 1996/97 to prevent such anomalies. He also says that the England cricket team played as the MCC until 1976/77 - that's only true of England touring teams - at home, they had played as England for many years.

5.0 out of 5 stars Every cricketer should read this, 18 Feb 2013
This review is from: The effing c-word: Cricket: a user's guide (Paperback)
I witty insight into club cricket. I have played for years, and laughed a lot at most of the book.

The effing c-word: Cricket: a user's guide
The effing c-word: Cricket: a user's guide by Simon White (Paperback - 12 Sep 2012)